Your favorite Anime

Iron_will

Feb 8, 2008
Well, I got some fairly recent favourites from the last season.

There's Girls und Panzer which aired its last couple of episodes a few weeks ago.

A more recent one would be Love Live! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roxO6TvOEBE] I totally didn't expect to like it so much. The music, the girls, everything. I'm still hoping for a second season. I can't end there; at least, the anime. I'm well aware they're still making music and other media for it.

And then there's this

Bebop

Apr 22, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
As of right now, it's probably a three-way tie between Baccano!, Steins;Gate, and Cowboy Bebop.

Baccano! hits all of the right absurdist qualities and feels like what would happen if Quentin Tarantino made an anime show. Mix in an excellent English dubbing voice cast and a catchy thematic opening tune, and it's just all sorts of memorable.

Steins;Gate is pretty existential and its plot can be construed as rather convoluted, but as a character piece it's a pretty fantastic piece of work. And I love the theme song...

And Cowboy Bebop is... well, Cowboy Bebop. It's like the Firefly of anime, I'd say. It still holds up really well, all across the board.
I love me some Bebop.

Im ashamed to admit that I have actually been enjoying K-On.... I really didnt expect to like it all that much but itd actually pretty funny sometimes.

Ergo Proxy is also a really good anime if you wanna watch a Sci-Fi. It didn't get to popular over yonder in Japan but it gained a little popularity here in the US. Its worth checking out if you have the time.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
SckizoBoy said:
Stryc9 said:
I'll second this, also I really can't wait for Arise. They're putting a lot of money into marketing it for sure.
Y'know, I like GitS (whether manga, original film or SAC), but for some reason, while it looks great, I'm rather irked by Arise... the character designs are so different from all previous incarnations in both aesthetic and physicality that I'm somewhat reluctant to get excited about it... :/ That and the complete overhaul in voice cast... no Atsuko Tanaka! T_T
Unless they completely destroy the personalities of the characters changing the rest can be easily explained away a number of different ways, they've already done it once without explaining shit. As far as voice cast goes, I'm not a purist and if I can check out a subbed version easily I will but I'm not super fussed about waiting for a dubbed version either. I rather like the Major's new look, it's not overly sexualized in the same way it could be argued she was in SAC.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Iria: Zeram the animation.

Back before I knew what anime was, I was hanging out flipping through channels on a Sunday morning. I landed on sci-fi where they were airing a super violent cartoon about some bounty hunter chick in tight clothes hunting an unstoppable super monster. I spent the better part of the day watching every episode they aired, one after the next.

On top of it being my introduction to the genre, it was the first thing that I as a child, that loved to draw (and now does so for a living), felt like I could grasp artistically and say 'hey, I could probably handle this being an illustrator thing.'

So yeah, that one stuck with me.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I haven't seen many of the popularly chosen "best anime ever" (Cowboy Bebop, Elfen Lied, Baccano!, Durarara, etc. ) yet, so my opinion isn't even close to final, but I would say that Neon Genesis Evangelion is my favorite. Yes, it has flaws (many flaws), but I think its ambition in dealing with things that other anime would be too scared to approach in mostly mature ways makes it stand out at the top for me. I would definitely give honorable mention to Gurren Lagann, Soul Eater, FLCL, Death Note and Code Geass, though.

As for pairings, I'm a big fan of Kowaru x Shinji, especially in Rebuild, which handled their relationship much more openly than in the original, which made it clear that "it's not gay, because he's an angel", to a certain degree and barely had any actual romance at all. It also had this song:
THIS SONG!

It's essentially what "Both of you, dance like you want to win!" is for AsukaxShinji, only for KowaruxShinji. And it was probably the best part of Q IMO.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I can never tire of psychotic redheads with polearms or emotionally damaged lesbians tampering with fundamental forces of the universe. Makes me totally forget that most of the characters look like they were swiped from other animes.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Actually, I have something else to contribute. Does anyone know of any good anime that is in the same vein of humor as Nichijou or Azumanga Daioh? I'm starting to run out of funny stuff to watch and I need a quick fix.

Any suggestion is welcome as long as it's a comedy. I would also prefer it to be dubbed if possible.

Gomi500

Feb 21, 2011
Welcome To the NHK
To a guy like me at the time of viewing that, it was amazing because I could identify with ALL the characters presented. It made me relise the slippery slope I was heading for and overall made me feel a sense of self i never had before. All and all it was eye opening.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
Actually, I have something else to contribute. Does anyone know of any good anime that is in the same vein of humor as Nichijou or Azumanga Daioh? I'm starting to run out of funny stuff to watch and I need a quick fix.

Any suggestion is welcome as long as it's a comedy. I would also prefer it to be dubbed if possible.
My only two "comedy" suggestions would my 2 favorite anime that were in my original post. I can't exactly describe H:AP's comedy but it is good,and the majority of "Girls Bravo"'s comedy comes from the strange plots and the interactions of the characters.( in order to get the most out of either of them I recommend watching them from episode 1 so that you get the jokes:) )

Speaking of Nichijou ,does anyone know if it will eventually be on Netflix?

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
It's hard to say, I think it changes often! I just finished Sword Art Online there today and absolutely loved it but I'm not sure I'd call it my favourite.

Maybe Code Geass at the moment. To me it was DeathNote, but better since I actually liked most of the characters (even if it wasn't as intelligent) and it had better twists. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood deserves a mention too. I really cannot think of how to criticize it.

neonsword13-ops

Mar 28, 2011
Willinium said:
Bring us the girl, wipe away the snip
Alright, cool. I'll be sure to check those out when I get some time. :3

Sadly, I don't think it'll ever be on Netflix. Ya see, Bandai Entertainment picked up the license and distribution rights for the series right before they decided to move away from distribution of anime and such. So I'm guess there won't be any way we'll see it pop up at all.

But, there are two alternatives to this issue! :D

#1. There's a legal anime streaming site called crunchyroll.com that will let you watch the whole series.

#2. Madman Entertainment over in Australia is releasing the series on DVD. And, like always, the prices are super steep. $60 for the first 12 episodes. Gaah. This coming from the guy that bought Durarara!! for $127. They may be pricey, but I'm sure they are of excellent quality. I'm gonna try to pick it up during the summer.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
Willinium said:

Sadly, I don't think it'll ever be on Netflix. Ya see, Bandai Entertainment picked up the license and distribution rights for the series right before they decided to move away from distribution of anime and such. So I'm guess there won't be any way we'll see it pop up at all.

#1. There's a legal anime streaming site called crunchyroll.com that will let you watch the whole series.

#2. Madman Entertainment over in Australia is releasing the series on DVD. And, like always, the prices are super steep. $60 for the first 12 episodes. Gaah. This coming from the guy that bought Durarara!! for $127. They may be pricey, but I'm sure they are of excellent quality. I'm gonna try to pick it up during the summer.
Well thats a shame, *sigh* *shrugs* oh well thank you for the links, too bad it ain't dubbed though.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Right now, it's definitely One Piece, as that is the only Anime I currently follow. Bleach was alright for awhile, but I stopped caring at about ep. 312-315.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
At the age of 29, something snapped inside my brain. Ever since that day, I have developed a disdain for shipping, fanfiction where the characters are not 100% in-character, & fanart not drawn in the style of the original, especially if it reflects any kind of sexual depravity. In other words, I'm Antishipping.

Favorite anime since 1998 has been SLAYERS.
*Megumi Hayashibara/Masami Okui soundtrack.
*Shit tons of OAVs, movies, mangas, & 5 seasons.
*Based on Dungeons & Dragons.
*Bitchy redhead female protagonist whom is all-powerful, wears pants, has an uncute voice, & is teased for not being attractive is a pleasant stark contrast from modern female anime protagonists.

neonsword13-ops

Mar 28, 2011
Willinium said:
neonsword13-ops said:
Willinium said:

Well thats a shame, *sigh* *shrugs* oh well thank you for the links, too bad it ain't dubbed though.
I think if it was dubbed, it would lose a lot of its charm. And some of the jokes wouldn't translate well into English. But that's just what I think. Anyway, I hope you like it. :D

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
I think if it was dubbed, it would lose a lot of its charm. And some of the jokes wouldn't translate well into English. But that's just what I think. Anyway, I hope you like it. :D[/quote]

I actually have seen some bits of it and it seems to be a rather hilarious show so thank you again good ser. :)

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I'm really dissapointed to see more and more people put Elfen Lied and Mirai Nikki as their favourite animes...even in their top 10.

As for me, I think Paranoia Agent works so very well.
There are others, but Paranoia Agent really stuck with me.

nobodysomebody

Jun 30, 2011
My favorites are Darker than Black, FLCL, and Eureka Seven

I really love Darker than Black for the characters and the story. Its whole premise is pretty unique, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes mystery or sci-fi series. FLCL is just... well it's kind of hard to put in to words why I like that series so much. It's just so like, out there, but then at the same time it's really relatable and interesting. Eureka Seven is on the list for actually making me care about two characters and their relationship, and usually I'm not one for romance shows but there was just enough in it amongst the mystery and action to make it enjoyable.

Honorable mentions include Samurai Champloo, Baccano, and Angel Beats

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
In no order, I think these would be my favorites at the moment
1. Clannad and after story-Is a masterpiece with great characters and an engaging plot with these characters
2. Nichijou- I like random comedies, and this filled that void with its oddness.
3. Natsume Yujinchou- Very good show about a boy who sees japanese spirits, kind of like mushishi in the tone, and suprisingly, all of the episodes are amazing and i found no bad one.
4. Baka and test- Very funny show, as it gets joke timing down perfectly
5. Steins gate- Very interesting show, and enjoyable to watch with the story and characters
6. Sword art online- Very well done show with a good balance of action and dialogue
7. Great teacher Onizuka- This show is actually pretty funny, with what this teacher does, and also has good story arcs
8. Full metal alchemist brotherhood- I liked the story in this show, as it felt complete after it ended, and the character were good as well.
9. code Geass- I don't really like mechs, but the characters drew me into this one, and made me enjoy it.
10. Excel saga- Another really weird anime, it was so weird that it had to be put on this list from the amount of odd moments it had.
11. Welcome to the NHK- Interesting show that dealt with a persons psych, and it was interesting to see.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
A lot of the ones I hear the most about I haven't seen yet (Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, etc). But out of the shows I have seen, I do have a few favorites. Madoka Magica and Gurren Lagaan, definitely. Nichijou and K-On are wonderful as well. Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are definitely up there. Ouran High School Host Club's pretty high too. What else ...
oh. Digimon Tamers is phenomenal. But watch the sub, the show has a lot of nuance and subtlety to it that apparently nobody at Fox noticed when they dubbed it to English.