The Black Lion
Akira
Jin-Roh
Millennium Actress
Metropolis
Ghost in the Shell
Darkside Blues
Patlabor Movies
An Angel's Egg (This movie is fantastic!!)
Deamon City Shinjuku
Wicked City
Doggy Poo
Perfect Blue
Tekken: The Motion picture
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter: The Animated Movie
Fatal Fury Movies
Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust
5 centimeters per second
X
Grave of the Fireflies (An incredible movie!)

OVAs:
Samurai X
Ninja Ressurection
Doomed Megaopolis
Sex investigator Kouji
Golden Boy
Macross Plus
Cyper City Oedo 88
Saber Marionette R (Fantastic!)
Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma
Blue Sub 6
Now and Then,Here and There
Gunbuster
Kikaider OVA
The Animatrix
Mystery of the Necrinomicon
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge

TV series:
Grappler Baki
Air Master
Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone complex
Fist of the North Star
Kikaider
Blue Gender
Neon Genesis: Evangalion
Naruto
Ebichu
Ergo Proxy
Gundam 0079
Legend of Galactic Hero
Monster
Fantastic Children
haibane_renmei
Heroic Age
Kare Kano
Infinite Ryvius
Paranoia Agent
Boogiepop Phantom
Avenger
Kaiba
Bokurano
Narutaru: Shadow Star
Kodomo no Jikan
Record of Lodoss War
Serial Experiments Lain
Street Fighter II V
Yu-Gi-Oh (Only the orignal series)
Devilman Lady
Outlaw Star
Berserk
Claymore
Casshern: Sins
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
The Big O
Defensive Force Dairugger
Chobits
Magic Night Rayearth
Trigun
Death Note
Gunslinger Girl (Who doesn't love cute lolis ^_^)
Dragonball Z (Should this really be on the list?)
X (Wasn't sure if I liked the movie more, maybe I do)

Hentai OVAs:
Oni chichi
Discode.Abnormal.Sexuality
Professor Pain
Cool Devices
Enzai
Legend of the Four Horsemen
Shusaku
Ai no Kusabi
Osana najimi to Doukyuusei
Visious
Slave Sisters
Ride of the Valkyrie
Sex Taxi
Princess 69
Stepmother's Sin
Princess Knight Catue
Natsumushi
Deep Voice
Tsurumiku Shiki Game Seisaku
Immoral
Bondage Game
Hime Dorei
Urosukidoji
Dark Chapel

This is only the cream of the crop. I'm sure I forgot a few, but this list is only a part of my years of watching japanese anime.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
itchcrotch said:
Yeah, the Hellsing Manga was some of my favourite. I enjoyed seeing how my favourite scenes were put to animation;D
What was your favourite scene? I love in... I think it's the 8th OVA, possibly the 7th (8th volume of the manga definitly) after Alucard has released level 0 and Maxwell's all "what are you what are you" and the music's all epic and Alucard's dressed up in medieval armour and then summons a massive platoon of undead minions in the street behind him. So cool!
Favorite scene? Hm. Alucard just has too many to choose from. Rip Van Winkle was my favorite out of the Nazis, but she didn't really get to do much. Her death scene is the only scene in the series that makes me queasy though.

I guess mine would be the scene where a blind, disarmed Seras finally drinks Pip's blood, becomes a true vampire, and proceeds to whoop Zorin Blitz's ass. I generally dislike gore, but those moments when the villains realize that the "heroes" are infinitely more horrifying than themselves are just pure gold.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Eureka seveN, hands down.

It's weird enough to be unique, deep enough to give the weirdness some gravity, it's drawn in a bright and unique style that makes its diverse cast light up, and there is an abundance in mecha fights and air surfing (i.e. lifting) to keep you entertained.

I also love the development of the main cast, specifically Eureka, and the shortness of the anime means that I can enjoy it again and again in its entirety.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
Slayers, Hajime no Ippo, Gurren Lagann, DuRaRaRaRa, G Gundam, and Gundam Wing. Can't really think of any that hold my heart more than those.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
I think OVAs were more popular back in the 80s and 90s. I tend to see waaaaay more TV series now-a-days. I hope you guys watch the stuff on my lists. They are some real gems on my list. Most of the shows I like tend to be dramas with more plot then action. Plenty of people have said that most of what I watch is pretty boring. You just need a longer attention span.

Edit: D could kick Alcard's ass anyday of the week! Hence, why Hellsing didn't end up on my list.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
I've had fun with Monster [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_%28manga%29]. It's one of the few titles that comes to mind when I'm recommending an anime to someone who is new to the medium, but is turned off by the shounen/sailor scout stereotypes and preoccupation with the lives of high school students of other more prolific animes. It has a fairly grounded story set in pre and post-reunification Germany, following a Japanese doctor framed for murder amidst cold war intrigue. It deals with such themes as the quest for redemption, obsession, how childhood experiences can shape a person's adult life for better or for worse, whether or not everyone is truly equal as well as capable of redemption, and how the consequences of someone's past actions/inaction will inevitably return to haunt them in the future. Not to mention it has one of the better anime openings I've ever seen, complete with a haunting musical score.

On the other end of the spectrum is Tiger & Bunny [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_%26_Bunny], a Japanese take on American superheroes where the act of crime fighting is akin to a televised game show, superheroes are celebrities with their own lines of products and talk show appearances, and every hero has their own corporate sponsors complete with logos emblazoned on their costumes like in NASCAR.

They're both available for free on Hulu, I recommend checking them out if anyone is interested. Of course, feel free to buy the episodes and support the creators if you decide you like them and wish to continue watching them.

Monster [http://www.hulu.com/naoki-urasawas-monster]

Tiger & Bunny [http://www.hulu.com/tiger-and-bunny]

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
I have the monster OST on speed dial in my Itunes library. Same goes with most of the titles on my list. If I find a good series with a good soundtrack,I'll hunt the OST down.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The original Full Metal Alchemist anime easily. That drew me in like nothing before, and then I watched it religiously from there. It's one of the few anime that actually does most things really bloody well, and I'm talking about the dub!

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
It's a toss-up between Clannad After Story and Kimi ni Todoke.

...What's wrong with me? I usually can't enjoy that kind of genre whatsoever! WHY DO I SUDDENLY HAVE FEELS?!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, Neon Genesis Evangelion obviously, but it's so much my favourite now that I've gotten tired of it. Yeah, think about that.

As for the rest, I like a lot of stuff.

Azumanga Daioh
School Rumble
Golden Boy
Dragon Half

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Hmm... Well since I don't really have a favorite anime (my opinions change quickly :p), I do have some that I recognize as being just amazing. So, let me list em for you in no particular order.

1. Evangelion (both the series and the new movies): Okay, this may just be a little bit too soon for me (I just recently watched it over spring break), but HOLY SHIT IS THIS AMAZING. Its a good story, fun, and has plenty of action. I only wish it would tell us more.

2. FMA: brotherhood: The anime that got me into my second run of anime (first run being DBZ and the like when I was a kid and third run being now, during college). I never got around to finishing it (fifty+ episodes of complex subject material... ouch, my head) but I can assure you that it is amazing.

3. Madoka Magica: You know what? I love to watch anime characters suffer mental breakdowns. It may be my inner sadist, but I digress. Needless to say, but this anime has plenty of that.

captcha: tastes good. Yes, it is quite delicious to watch other writhe in pain brought on by others or themselves. Good thing I'd never have the heart to do such a thing in real life.

Now, just for S&Gs, I'll list my favorite anime to watch with a less-than serious attitude.

1. Girls und Panzer: This is a cheezy, one-shot character, developmentless piece of crap that would be just horrible, if it wasn't so damn awesome. Its about high school girls that ride in WW2-era tanks. What more could you want?

2. Zettai Karen Children: This show makes me uncomfortable to watch sometimes (if you ask, I'll provide reasons through the use of a couple videos), but it is good if you can get past that. I'm only about 1/4 of the way into this 50-episode monster, but it isn't too serious (if at all) so its all good.

3. Elfen Lied: A case of horrible premise, horrible execution, and horrible voice acting that, when combined, create what I can only describe as watching a train wreck. It is quite interesting to look at, even fun if no one gets hurt, but once you slow it down and look at the details it all comes apart and you realize just how horrible it is.

pastureofmuppets

Feb 13, 2012
Best anime ever = ninja scroll

runner ups;

Fist of the North Star
Legend of the Overfiend
Legend of the Demon Womb
Akira (love those motorbikes)
Castle of Cagliostro (car chase ftw)

Best Anime Series = Dark Snyder Bastard God of Destruction, or Cowboy Bebop

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Hmm. I haven't been watching anime for all that long, and in a year or so, I imagine this list will be somewhat different. That said, here are, in no particular order, some anime's that'd make my list.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - This hasn't been mentioned yet, so either people haven't seen it or for some reason they don't like it. But they should, because it's awesome. The Count of Monte Cristo. 5000 CE. Unique art style, excellent mystery-drama. For those of you who know the story, Gankutsuou takes place from the point of view of Albert rather than the Count, so rather than watching a scheme unfold as planned, it becomes a mystery. Also has an excellent dub.

Baccano! - Three separate factions try to seize control of a train at the same time. Violence. Comedy. Flashbacks. Multiple Perspectives. Mafia. Non-Linear Storytelling. It's a big old hodgepodge of fun.

Code Geass - It has its flaws, but that makes it all the more fun. The characters volley grand schemes back and forth, with each counter-move or screw-up changing the game entirely. It keeps your mind on its metaphorical feet, and it's always interesting to ponder how things might have gone. Also, the gloriously hamtastic performances are entertaining as all hell. And despite the break-neck pace of the second season, I liked what they did with the ending, so that more than makes up for things.

Steins;Gate - Time Travel is invented by a bunch of eccentric incompetents. Clever dialogue, clever progression, good balance of comedic and dramatic elements. Whole lot of fun.

There's plenty more I've seen, none of it comes to mind as going to the tippity-top of my list (Although the second tier would probably include Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Spice and Wolf, Katanagatari, Cowboy Bebop, Mushi-shi). While they aren't technically anime, Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra are absolutely fantastic, and as such I'm mentioning them. If you haven't seen them, remedy that.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
A lot of people have a weakness for their first. My age group... that tends to be Dragonball. Later came the early ones liking the genre "battling seizure robots" or the pocket monster.

My starting weakness is for "Blue Seed." My local video store had the vhs collection, and I worked there. They let employees take movies home at close, if they would bring it back before open the next morning. And as I worked my way through the library, I came across the small anime section. I started with a movie that turned out to be a little too "tentacle rape" for my tastes (although the main character's gun was cool.) But the first series I started next "Blue Seed." And I loved it. A little older animation style (reminds me of late Hanna/Barbara) and a story losely based upon Japanese folklore. And it has a plus that I still require to this day... it has to end. I usually don't even bother if there are more than 30 episodes. I just prefer a self-contained story that doesn't have whole episodes where characters stare down before a fight... for an entire episode.

But as far as best... like many others "Cowboy Bebop." It's simply never been equaled. Although I really enjoyed "Last Exile," "SE Lain," and "El Cazador De La Bruja." "Girls Bravo" was good for a laugh, but not my usual anime fare. As for "shipping" or as the op called it "pairing..." I don't. Not in tv, anime, whatever. Nothing wrong with it I suppose, but I just never really thought that way and was even surprised when I found out that was even a "thing." Just weird to me.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Fuck Yes, another chance to talk about my favourite Anime, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. For those of among us who are uninformed, FMAB is a story set in the fictional world of Amestris, presumably based of Empirical/Nazi Germany. Led by Furher King Bradley, Amestris has a strong military culture, which is the basis for it's formation and at the head of this military are the so called dogs, The State Alchemists. There in lies the title character Edward Elric, The Fullmetal Alchemist. After a failed human transmutation Edward loses his arm and leg and his younger brother Alphonse loses his entire body, which Edward binds to a suit of colossal armour, the result of which causes him to use his arm. Edward and Alphonse travel the land of Amestris, in search of the philosopher's stone and presumably the key to returning them to their original bodies.

Dorky intro aside, I'm completely enamoured with Fullmetal Alchemist, not just because of the richly detailed art or well choreographed fight scenes, but the strong character focus that turn possible stereotypical anime characters into real humans. Edward is key to the story and it's great to see the writers not fall into the trap of creating a boring, aggressive anime male character. Special mention to Al, who is the real heart of the story and many of the homunculi who besides being artificial humans, can at times, be the most human characters of them all. All in all, it's one of my favourite television shows and I heartily recommend it!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I already meniton my 5/6 favourites from that other thread so I going to mention my latest favourite, Jojo's Bizzare Adventure.
It's different to what I usually watched as the cast are beefy and manly but it also has awesome fights, soundtrack, characters and it's funny how their over the to reaction can get even when it's justify (you too would scream when you had unleash a monster into the world)!

Blue_screen

Aug 28, 2009
Neon Genesis Evangelion is my favorite one. It´s an apocalyptic mecha series fueled by soul crushing depression! It strikes a pretty good balance between action and drama with some pretty dark stuff...I have not seen the latest film in the Rebuild Series though, I am pretty curious about what happens to the characters in this new interpretation.

Other series that I like are Trigun (Love and Peace!XD), Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Crowman

Apr 5, 2013
As of right now I would have to say my favorite would be the Bakemonogatari series

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Well it has been 4 months since I posted my favourites here, so here they are again.

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood
3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
4. Ghost in the Shell SAC (notably 2nd Gig)
5. Mirai Nikki
6. BECK
7. Bakemonogatari
8. Serial Experiments Lain
9. RahXephon
10. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

The best one that I've been watching recently? Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei gets my pick, though it took me a few episodes to get into it. Essentially a highschool comedy that satirizes many social, political and philosophical themes. It doesn't follow an overarching narrative, so you can start and stop when you wish, and because it's done by Shaft it gets very surreal at times (one episode suddenly goes into paper and claymation animation). Because the cast is one teacher and many highschool girls it can have a bit of fanservice here and there, whether that sways you one way or the other.

If you can keep up with the fast dialogue and pace (like with all Shaft anime), there's a lot of wit and humour to enjoy. And best of all, to my knowledge there is no other anime like it, a hard trait to have these days.