Your favorite book/book series?

DeeWiz

Aug 25, 2010
The Sword of Truth seres - can't really pick only one book out of it. A close second would be Sword Art Online, not the anime but the books, which are much better.

caselj01

Jun 8, 2010
I really like the Hornblower books, they're probably my favourite series. Max Brooks' zombie books are pretty fantastic as well.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I think my favourite series of books would have to be Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, closely followed by Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire and Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts. I love the humour and deconstruction elements in the Discworld novels, as well as the expertly crafted characters and world and the fact that Pratchett's managed to keep the continuity going across over 30 books. As for the others, the political intrigue and Martin's attitude towards his characters' lives always keep his books lively and engaging. Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts are easily the best and most consistently well-written books set in the 40K universe as well as being sufficiently dark. He is also the absolute master of writing action scenes.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
My favourite book for a few years has been When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography Of Led Zeppelin by Mick Wall. Got it for a secret santa present in my old job, and I remember taking early lunch breaks just to read it I enjoyed it so much. It really sets the scene for rock music in the late 60s and 70s, and I always love discovering bits of music history and how the musicians of this era lived their lives.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
Any book by Bernard Cornwell, but in particular the Saxon stories. Historical fiction for the win!

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I also really like Steven Pressfield's ancient Greek series of books, my favourites being Gates of Fire and Virtues of War.
I agree, insomuch that they're great books (though I don't entirely agree with his representation of Alexander the Great... too cuddly for my liking), but I wouldn't really call it a 'series' per se, since they're all standalones that you really don't need the other books to get what's happening. *shrug*

TheKaz said:
Uh,everything that Tolkien has written, Le Comte De Monte Cristo,The Three Musketeer's,The Walking Dead,The Night Angel Trilogy,Conan Saga,various webcomics.
For a second there, I was going to rail at you for being [insert intellectual insult here], but I just misread your phrasing. I find The Three Musketeers very silly... but that may have been the point, but le Comte de Monte Cristo is fucking epic, no question about it.

MetaKnight670 said:
My favourite series is the Troy trilogy by David Gemmell. I must have read them at least 4 times over, but I still keep coming back to them anyways.
Oddly, though it's just as far out in terms of mythology and hocum, I preferred the Macedon pair, and as ever: RIP David Gemmell, you died before more works of literary brilliance could be presented before mankind. :(

Anyway:

Raymond E Feist's Midkemia series, though they're getting a bit formulaic lately, Magician is still my favourite high-fantasy book of all time.
Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts, Eisenhorn/Ravenor set, all great stuff.
And what WH40K fan would I be without mentioning the Horus Heresy.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
DeeWiz said:
The Sword of Truth seres - can't really pick only one book out of it. A close second would be Sword Art Online, not the anime but the books, which are much better.

Would it be better to read the sword of truth series chronologically, or the order the books came out?

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
As if it wasn't obvious enough, it's Tolkiens masterpiece of a work Lord of the Rings. Picked it up one day because I didn't quite get what the rage was all about *this was before the movies*, and I never looked back.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Childhood/Teenage years favorite - The CHERUB series.

Right now.
"The Legend of Drizzt."
And the "Jack Jr" series by Matthew Riley. (Just got into it)

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
StormShaun said:
And the "Jack Jr" series by Matthew Riley. (Just got into it)
Matthew Reilly is my idol, the Jack Jr books are fantastic - dare I say better than the Scarecrow books...though they need a crossover one eventually...

OT:
Despite Matthew Reilly being my idol, my favorite book series (most likely because of nostalgia and how different it was) is the Redwall Series. Favorite book in the series? Mattimeo, I liked Slagar as a villain.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Catch-22. It's a fucking masterpiece.

Also, chris bellamy's absolute war: soviet russia in the second world war.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
SckizoBoy said:
I agree, insomuch that they're great books (though I don't entirely agree with his representation of Alexander the Great... too cuddly for my liking), but I wouldn't really call it a 'series' per se, since they're all standalones that you really don't need the other books to get what's happening.
I guess you're right. It's less a series and more of a shared setting, I suppose. While we're on the topic, what did you think of Tides of War? I found it to be pretty lackluster compared to his other ones. It just seemed to be too wide and complex an event for it to be put down into a single book, and it left me confused in places. Furthermore, he went just a tad crazy with the narrations. I believe it was a narrator narrating a narrator who was narrating the narrator of the whole story, or something to that degree. It felt less focused than Gates, Virtues or even Amazons.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
The Jack Ryan series by Tom Clancy is my favorite series ever, followed closely by A Song of Ice and Fire. Also, for an individual book I recommend The Red Horseman by Stephen Coonts, a great political thriller concerning missing nukes in post-Soviet Russia.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
SomeLameStuff said:
Agreed. One simply doesn't.

But... I've been reading and rereading Mark Z. Danielewski's (MZD for short) House of Leaves.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles was one series I was totally into as a teenager.
I was into vampires way before twilight...

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
A Song of Ice and Fire. My fixation with the winds of winter's release date borders on the unhealthy.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Currently Eric Flint's 1632/Ring of Fire series, especially the shared universe part, the Gazettes. It creates an incredibly vast world, having so many different character PoVs.

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
Angie7F said:
Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles was one series I was totally into as a teenager.
I was into vampires way before twilight...
I tried reading Interview with The Vampire as an adult and found it intolerably melodramatic. All of these characters seem to want to 'possess' Louis but its never fully explained to what end. Its not like anyone was having sex... I understand this is supposed to bluid to some kind of unreliable narrative but I couldn't bring myself to read the second book.