Your Favorite Cat/Dog Breeds

TheWanderingFish

May 1, 2013
Well, I have three Rottweilers, so that's my vote. Nicest dogs I could ever hope to have, strong, love to play, love to work, loyal for forever and a day, and beautiful.

As for cats, I was never really a fan. We`ve got some barn cats, and they`re alright. I just let them do their thing, and they get a place to live. *shrugs*

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Dogs.. huskies and German Shepards... my own dog (german shepard) died a few months back.. cancer..:/

for cats... i dont know.. as long as they are not utterly evil.. but thats like 0.01% of all cats..

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
The only dogs I can't stand it Chihuahuas. Horrible little shits -_-

I love all cats, even scruffy ones. I have a white tabby, a brown tortoise-shell and two black and white ones. My B&W ones have the nicest temperaments where the other two are just moody, snappy, scratchy little twats.
I like fluffy ones but they're a pain the keep clean.
I LOVE squishy faced ones, Persians, British short-hairs, exotic short-hairs etc.

I'll stroke any dog in the street when I can, but I ADORE Pugs, Huskies, Corder Collies, Alsations (I used to own two) and Labradors, Corgis, and all the fluffy ones with curly little tails.

LeeArac

Aug 16, 2011
S'gotta be Alaskan Malamutes. They're just gorgeous dogs. Which is why I got one.

However, I would warn any prospective Mally owners to be very, very cautious. They are a SUPER difficult breed: Energetic, ridiculously greedy, insanely intelligent and as stubborn as a mule: No matter how well trained they are, there are times where if they don't feel like obeying... you're not likely to change their minds.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
All of my pets have just been whatever happened to be at the shelter in need of rescue, I could never in good faith buy a specific breed from a breeder for a huge cost while knowing another dog was sitting in a shelter wishing for a home.

I do have a special love for pit bulls since they seem to show up in animal shelters a lot around here though and can be tough to get anyone to adopt. My current dog appears to be some kind of whippet/besenji thing though.

Bolwing

Mar 5, 2012
Shih-tzu. Why, you ask? It looks like an Ewok, and makes bizzare mumbling noises (at least in the case of my dog)
As for the cats, all breeds are equally awesome (not counting the godforsaken siamese, those terrify me).

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Unkillable Cat said:
Here, kitty kitty...
I've never had a Maine Coon, but in my short stint at an no-kill animal shelter, I recall there being this BIG (Overweight!) Maine Coon, fucking huge-bodied cat, with the most gentle and puny "Mew..." for a cat-call. The ridiculousness was not lost on me.

As for a Bombay, Christ I could write a book on Kit, my sister's cat. The story goes that instead of the uber-friendly orange tabby she was considering, she went with the one my now brother-in-law selected, the little black smooth-coated kitten that's gnawing on his finger (Which he describes as cute) that grows into a cat which may seem bi-polar at times. Let's see... She doth talk much, especially at the presence of a bug, an open window, and any lack of attention or food. Likes to be wet, purrs while she eats, has no problem being petted while eating, and constantly climbs things like high shelves and such.

One time when she was at our place, I caught Kit sitting on my not-yet-used dinner plate. Knocks things over, stealth-attacks because she KNOWS she blends in with the color black, and will not let you sleep if you let her in your room at night. Also, this cat came with the warning of "Does not play well with other cats", so not that my sister lately has George the Manx, she's even more tempermental if you pay attention to any other cat but her.

All cats that I've ever known are weird, and I think that this is normal for them.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I hate to be "that guy" but it's a stupid pet peeve of mine when people call something a breed when it isn't. I know it's not in the intention of people in this thread, but this is what happens when you work with animals for a living and certain things grow to bug me.

1. Tabby, tortoiseshell, calico, tuxedo, etc, aren't breeds of cat. They're colours and patterns, with many of them also being seen in purebreds (as a side-note, all non-sterile calicoes and torties are female, so that wouldn't work lol). Most cats in the world are mixed or of unknown ancestry, so people usually just call them "domestics" (like "domestic shorthair" and "domestic longhair"). Also, the random brown tabby you got at the shelter is most likely not a $2000 Bengal cat (a client at my clinic insists despite no rosettes and just looking like your typical brown moggie. Oy)

2. Cockapoos, Labradoodles, etc are mixed breeds, and technically not breeds. The name is usually put on either as a cute name, or to make money (often charging more than they should). As a side note, not all poodle mixes are hypoallergenic (they're actually starting to phase them out as guide dogs because most inherit the Golden or Lab coat and poodles are just so bouncy). Not bashing the mutts, though a name does not a breed make.

3. Caution to anyone who looks at "miniature", "toy", "teacup", etc, before a breed name (like in the Miniature Bulldog posted above). It's often a money-making scam done at the expense of the dog's health, costing outlandish money (the 2 grand seems a lot, though I know Bulldogs in general are more costly due to requiring C-sections). I remember seeing a "Teacup Maltese" that cost thousands. She came from one of those Korean Puppy Boutiques, and the owner had no qualms when she (and I quote) saw 200 dogs in the kennel. That dog at 6 months was the size of an 8 week old Maltese.

Thank you,
Your tired neighbourhood veterinary technician

Unkillable Cat said:
The first was supposed to be a ragdoll, which wouldn't stop growing until it was clear he was a Maine Coon
What? That doesn't make any sense. Ragdolls and Maine Coons are nothing alike, so you would know from a young age whether a cat was a Ragdoll or Maine Coon (namely colour. Ragdolls are pointed cats, meaning they're white as kittens and then become darker with age. Maine Coons are usually a different body shape, colour, and in general and have a different length and texture of coat. Very different breeds and difficult to mix up). If you're talking about size alone, Ragdolls are one of the biggest breeds of cat and can go to roughly the size of a Maine Coon (males can get to around 20 lbs, females closer to 15).

OT: Since I've gone long enough with my whining, I'll just be biased and say Ragdolls are my favourite cat breed. I own one, and he turned 10 in October.

As for dogs, I'm not picky. I don't really like the brachycephalic (pug-nosed) breeds for their appearance and health, but other than that I like many breeds without a clear favourite. Sighthounds (Greyhound-like breeds) I have a soft spot for, but I also like German Shepherds, Schnauzers, Poodles, among others.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
ChanTheNoob said:
Swedish Vallhunds. You know why?
IT'S LIKE A FUCKING WOLF CORGI
That isn't there due to a broken image.

O.T. I'm a guy, an I like any breed that can be summed up as a fluff ball, though I'm not too big on flat-faces though.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Dachshunds are one of my favorite dog breeds.
They're cute to look at, and I love the story behind what they were raised/bred for (Fighting badgers if you didn't know)

Yup, those little bastards were expected to go down tunnels that barely fit their body and fight these things tooth and claw.

Any thing that does that has my respect.

That said, they also have some breeding issues. Because of their long bodies, they are very prone to back problems. Safe to say when they bred this dog they weren't thinking long term.

They can also be rather mean sometimes, as a result of their being bred to fight subterranean terrors.

As far as cats go, I'm fond of russian blues. I just dig the color and the shape their face tends to be. It just seems soooo "kitty-ish", like a slightly exaggerated cartoon of a cat come to life.

BlueKenja

Jul 4, 2011
British Burmese. Love the slightly angular look to them and the fact that they're playful, intelligent and tend to be more companionate than other breeds.
Although my current moggy Gandalf (he's gray and white, couldn't not call him that) is very friendly and loyal despite not being any particular breed that I can tell (he was dumped at my workplace, house trained and neutered so I took him in).

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
Cat: Turkish Van -- so cute when they play with water, plus mine turns on taps sometimes if they're left a bit loose!

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
im not really a pet person, but corgis are my favorite kind of dog. theyre cute, they have stubby little legs that keep them from jumping on top of me, theyre small and manageable, and ive heard they dont lick as much as other breeds, which is something i would prefer. and apparently, they dont require a lot of grooming.

Brainpaint

Sep 28, 2011
I'm more of a dog person but my sister is a cat person so we have two in our house compared with just one dog (although we used to have two of those as well). Both our cats are Black & White Shorthairs and both our recent dogs were Jack Russells.

I like Jack Russells, but I gotta say if I had a choice of which dog I wanted to own next I'd pick a Tamaskan hound, Hokkaido Inu, German Shepherd, Prague Ratter, Russkiy Toy, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Miniature Bull Terrier, Great Dane, Shar Pei...
Damn, it I love WAY too many breeds!

For cats, I've always liked Aegeans, Russian Blues, Siamese, Birmans, Himalayans, Japanese Bobtails and Bengals as well as most breeds with calico colouring.
When we took our oldest cat to the vet yesterday there was a young gay couple there with their dog and they were talking with my mum about their bengal. I was trying to stop myself from yelling "Awesome!". Lol.

bobmd13

Mar 28, 2010
I actually own a 11 month old Maine coon and of all the cats that have decided to live with me, he is the most affectionate.

The picture that heronblade posted is quite similar to how he looks as he is a silver tabby.

At present he weighs in at a meager 15pds of solid muscle and fur, but with over 4 more years of growth until he reaches his full size I have a horrible feeling he may weigh in at around 28pounds (2 stone/13.72kgs).

One thing I will say about Maine Coons,shaving can be a nightmare as he likes to come and watch by sitting in the bathroom sink (I have tried sneaking into the en-suite but to no avail) and it is true they are fascinated by water, so it is not uncommon to have wet footprints all around the house.

He likes to sleep with us and every morning at about 5.30am she who must be obeyed has her morning wash courtesy of Einnie while I get a lie in until 6.00am when he wakes me the same way. Such a lovely way to be told that I want my breakfast.

They also like to lie in high places or for some reason recently a very specific Amazon packing box.

Great cats but very big and if long haired requiring a lot of grooming.

As someone else pointed out, pedigree cats are not cheap,don't expect much change out of £500 for a Maine Coon.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Dachshunds amuse me because they have weird proportions, but I like Collies, Labradors, Golden Retrievers and Shiba Inus more.

I'm not a big fan of cats, but Siamese ones are alright I suppose.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I like Huskies and Rough Collies. But Huskies more, because my house has two and they are fun to play with.