Your favorite fictional religions in literature/games/media

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Hello escapists!
After hearing from a friendly user I've decided to ask you, the community, what's your favorite religion you've seen in books, comics, games or movies?

I would like to take note of the movie Franklyn [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklyn] that isn't a favorite movie of mine (it's pretty good) but has some of my favorite religions in it. Here's the trailer:

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
In before "For teh Emprah."

I'm rather fond of the Pokemon religion. There's an entire pantheon with a detailed lore and yet I've only ever seen one temple in my time playing the games.

I've often wondered how much of the religion is common knowledge and how much is pure legend, since basically all of it's true in-universe.

Ironman126 said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
I don't understand. Do you take issue with my devotion to the God-Emperor?
Since the Greater Good is at odds with it, yes.

In all seriousness, I put that there because it is so woefully easy to predict.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The Hammerites in Thief are pretty sweet. I love the way they talk.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
The Qun from Dragon Age sounds very interesting, well other then the cutting out of mages' tongues and putting them on leashes like dogs.

Executor78

Apr 24, 2011
I would have to go with the Fish Speakers in the Dune series. Although there is something to be said for having a literal god in your midst (or at least a half human-half sandworm hybrid) a la the God-Emperor Leto II.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Glory to Arkvoodle! The hippest god to grace the planet. Arkvooodle ooodle ooodle oooo!

*Destroy all humans 2 reference*

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
"The goblin experience of the world is the cult or pehaps religion of Unggue. In short, it is a remarkably complex resurrection-based religion founded on the sanctity of bodily secretions. Its central tenet runs as follows: everything that is expelled from a goblin?s body was clearly once part of them and should, therefore, be treated with reverence and stored properly so that it can be entombed with its owner in the fullness of time. In the meantime the material is stored in unggue pots."
- The Quite Reverend Mightily-Praiseworthy-Are-Ye-Who-Exalteth-Om Oats

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
>.> Bwahaha!

Actually, I'm a big fan of the Glabados Church from Final Fantasy Tactics. The miracle man who forms the basis of the entire religion was actually a big manipulative liar demon and the entire church is corrupted by the same big manipulative lying demonic power. They entrap the elite and use the commoners. And then I got to destroy them from the bottom up.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Xpwn3ntial said:

I'm rather fond of the Pokemon religion. There's an entire pantheon with a detailed lore and yet I've only ever seen one temple in my time playing the games.

I've often wondered how much of the religion is common knowledge and how much is pure legend, since basically all of it's true in-universe.
I think it's cuz Nintendo is very touchy with religion

Back in the old Final Fantasies and Dragon Quest(I think), they were always careful not to put any religious tones when localizing them.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Vandenberg1 said:
Ironman126 said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
I don't understand. Do you take issue with my devotion to the God-Emperor?
There is only one GOD-EMPEROR and thats Muad Dib of DUNE :0
There are some 500 trillion screaming fanatics that would disagree with that claim.

ErwinGodfrey

Jul 17, 2012
The religions from A Song of Ice and Fire are pretty bad ass. The one God with many faces that the Faceless Men worship is a pretty cool death religion, as is R'hllor worship, which is basically Catholicism with Pyromancers. Also the Iron Men worship Cthulhu, which is also pretty bad ass.

Rawberry101

Jan 14, 2012
I'm gonna go with...The Force! Not much else can beat that. It's a religion that's so powerful that it will literally allow you to choke out nonbelievers millions of miles away!!!!