Your favorite free-to-play game

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
A straightforward question.

So, what free games have you gotten in on that was free and fun? I'm not talking about those MMOs like Rift or Star Trek Online that are now free to play, but the titles that were designed from the ground up to be without a base charge before the players get involved. Games like TF2 where you can play the game without spending a dime, but mechanics are in place to encourage you to spend for a new or better expereince.

For me, I just got a tablet, and I've found that there is no shortage of free games on the system, however, most games are designed with your wallet in mind and gameplay options being secondary[footnote]Age of Empire anyone? The game is made to waste time and wants you to pay to waste less time. No affiliation with the RTS[/footnote].

I have found myself rather addicted to a game called Puzzles and Dragons, which is what you get when you combine Pokemon with Puzzle Quest. There are things you can spend money on, but the game hardly abuses you for not spending.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Easy; Dwarf Fortress. One of the best games I've ever played and beyond doubt the most comprehensive and in-dept 'builder' game out there. Also completely free to play although if you like the game I'd say donate to the games developers, working on DF is their full time jobs and they get by from donations alone.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Dwarf Fortress.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.

Liberal Crime Squad.

Various other ASCII roguelikes.

Dragon's Nest. Don't judge me.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Zelda Classic.

http://www.purezc.net/

Its a recreation of the original 2 quests, plus 2 more they made.

Oh and it has a full quest editor that supports custom sprites and scripts, and a fairly large community of quest makers. A few of which have made several quests that are far superior to anything Nintendo has put out aside from Link to the Past and Link's Awakening.

Custom bosses, custom items, custom music, custom sprites, multiple overworlds etc. if you really wanted to you could probably recreate Zelda 2 since it supports side scrolling areas and jump items. Or Mega Man if you are feeling unoriginal.

All for free

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
In the Company of Myself.

It's a good, short game on Kongregate. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to complete.

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Love World of Tanks. It's one of those games I don't mind paying for whenever I'm going to be playing it a lot, but even then it's not bad in free mode.

STO isn't bad, but the game's content is pretty limited. I was gone for about a year, came back, finished everything they'd added since then in a week, then got bored because all there was left to do was grind for stuff to make the fleet I joined better. Was nice to see all my old Borg stuff was still relevant, at least.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Well I've got a source port of Doom 64 that I love.
Second to that would probably be Super Mario Fusion.

Powder Toy is a fun time waster.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Er dont play many as I have generally been disappointed in them but Katawa Shoujo would be the best if that counts if not then Path of Exile I found decent for a free game.

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
League of legends. Ridiculously fun, deep and competitive. Got a bunch of friends to play with whilst we're on skype.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Definitely Dota 2. Been playing it for years, and I'm still learning new things almost daily. And when I'm feeling less competitive, there's always d2ware, which lets you play heroes with randomized spells. As in, you can play any hero with the skills of other heroes, sometimes getting ridiculously overpowered combinations. Jinada + Tidebringer + Riki's Invis, and Mirana's Starfall, just in case anyone survived. That is Balance. Or perhaps a mode where you get a random item every 5 minutes, or a mode where all spells and item effects are multiplied by 1.5 to 3 times greater effect. Why not all three at once? There's a lot of other modes, too, but those three combined are hilarious.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
TF2. I excel at being terrible at pretty much every class in every way. Fortunately there is MvM now, so I can be terrible against robots instead of other players. Plus it runs on my netbook :D

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Star Trek Online.

Perhaps i am easy to amuse, but i find the endgame satisfactory, and it definitely helps to be in a small fleet (For the community feel) and at the same time being large enough to complete the projects relatively quickly (Which require a large amount of resources to help progress your starbase and it's facilities).

It's primary downfall in my opinion is Perfect Worlds grasp over Cryptic, meaning that if they can't monatise a feature it wont be released/repaired/updated.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Here you go. The only one true answer. Path of Exile.
http://www.pathofexile.com/
Most assuredly seconded. Best dungeon crawler lootfest i've played since D2 LoD released.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Spiral Knights, if only because of the sheer number of Hours I've invested into it (520 hours, I can't believe it either)

Warframe comes a close second though.

Dudeman325

Jan 31, 2011
If you're in a shooter-mood, Planetside 2 can be ridiculous fun. Just stay away from the forums.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Benni88 said:
League of legends. Ridiculously fun, deep and competitive. Got a bunch of friends to play with whilst we're on skype.
This^^^

Whilst I play it alone a lot it is definitely more fun playing with friends. Even just 1 or 2 friends can make all the difference. Just gotta make sure none of your friends is hyper intent on winning as it can ruin the whole experience.

I recently transferred to the Oceanic Beta and for Australian players it's awesome!!!

Now that more players have made the move the whole community is picking up, and while you get the occasional highly strung player most people are in it just to have fun.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Yup, agreed wholeheartedly.
A fantastic dungeon crawler whose microtransactions are only cosmetics.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Clive Howlitzer said:
This also for me.
For those they seaking a good "answer" to Diablo 2 but to be also with it own way unique, this is the perfect game.
Very Ironic by saying this, but I hoped Diablo 3 to be like this. Diablo 3 if a fun game, but it is not like Path of Exile.....

Saddly [or gladly] this is the only F2P MMO I ever played. So the other suggestion are just free games:

My first selection is...................Corruption of Champions [NSFW].
I don't know why, but I really like the way "gameplay" work.
If there was a game like this without the "adult" elements, I would buy it full price!!!!

The other games I really like and you can also play for free, check my lists I created in Listal.
Most of the games are free to play. And they are AWESOME!!!!

http://www.listal.com/list/awesome-unknown-videogames-you-must
http://www.listal.com/list/awesome-unknown-videogames-you-must-sweetshark

Enjoy ^^