Your Favorite Kung Fu Movie

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Kenbo Slice said:
Ip Man, that movie rocks.
Normally, I'd agree, 'cos I love that movie too (just pure Chinese nationalistic guff and doesn't try to be anything else), but the fights just weren't even. He concedes just three hits in the entire film... eesh... I preferred watching the fights with Jin, kinda 'cos he seemed like comedy relief...!

gphjr14 said:
New Dragon Gate Inn
Nnnnnn... so prefer the original, though the fight between Brigitte Lin and Maggie Cheung was funny.

OT: Not a real fan of the 'classic' ones, most seem too frenetic for my tastes.

Of the recent lot, Fearless (as [user]gphjr14[/user] mentioned), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Red Cliffs, though perhaps not technically a 'kung-fu movie'.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Drunken Master, Rumble in the Bronx, and thought it is technically wuxia, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

E-Z

Jul 2, 2009
My first thought is The Young Master for the old films. More recently it would have to be Ip Man (not the prequel or sequel as they were quite poor). Otherwise, pretty much anything with Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung or Yuen Biao as they provide a perfect balance of action and comedy.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
People have to remember. OP is talking about Kung Fu. Tony Jaa does not apply, as that is Muay Thai mixed with Ju Jitsui, and some Judo.

A true to style kung fu film is pretty rare, as so few actors know legitimate kung fu. Michelle Yoeh studied for 2 years before joining one of Jackie Chan's movies. I think it was Supercop 2? Anyway, Jackie Chan is the Kung Fu master, and just wondering if anyone else notices how he "slips" into Wong Fe Hong at least once in all his movies. When he does, there is usually an accompanying sound from Drunken Master. He does it in Forbidden Kingdom, Supercop 3 and 4, operation Condor 1-3, and he did it in Rush Hour. Anyone spot any others?

karkar

Mar 10, 2011
"Fearless" with Jet Li is my number one. Shit just resonated with me. "The Legend of the Drunken Master" (AKA "Drunken Master II") gets a close second.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Ip Man
Kung Fu Hustle
Hero
Kill Bill
Legend of Drunken Master
Ong Bak

These aren't Kung Fu, but I'm a newb in this field, so I'll just be listing some of my favorite choreographed fighting films, with as much "Eastern" influence as will fit. Yes, I know they're different styles from different countries, but I can't tell the difference in fighting styles, so if it gets the awesome stamp, it gets the awesome stamp.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Blackmagic1515 said:
Another one for Kung Fu Panda 2. That movie was pure awesomeness!

The hardcore do understand! THE HARDCORE DO UNDERSTAND!!! *sniff*

WhoaItsBrett

Jan 22, 2010
IP man 1-2.
Ong Bak 1-2.
Drunken Master.
The Man From Nowhere (Not sure if this can be classified as kung-fu, but he does kick the shit out of people...)

Munchkin09

Nov 30, 2011
Has to be The Legend of Drunken Master. That movie had the perfect combination of Kung-Fu and ridiculous.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I don't blame anyone for putting Kung Fu Panda on their list, but I haven't yet seen the sequel.

There was one I watched on TV one night and I don't remember the name but it was a movie with seven ninjas with their own color theme and fighting style, and one by one they got taken down by different style ninjas. I think at one point one dude had his guts getting pulled out but the special effects were cheap and it looked like rope with a bit of red ink on it, and for some reason it made the movie even cooler. I hope I can some day come across it again.

The Street Fighter (Sonny Chiba) also impressed me as a little kid.

Same with Enter the Dragon.

Then Jackie Chan came out with Rumble in the Bronx and I went apeshit for kung fu movies once again in my life. I bought a giant collection of VHS movies he'd starred in. Fearless Hyena was one of my favorites because of his final fighting style. Supercop, Operation Condor; as long as he isn't co-starring with an american actor in the movie you're probably going to see something awesome.

I'll try to do the rest of the list by the actors but I won't list the actors!:
Ip Man 1 & 2, Iron Monkey

Ong Bak 1-3, Thom Young Goon (The Protector)

Kung Fu Hustle, King of Beggars

Fearless, Hero, hell even Unleashed

Anything Bruce Lee. Buy yourself the Special Edition Enter the Dragon and watch the bonus DVD with all the Game of Death footage. You're doing yourself a favor because after society collapses these will become the new currency.

True Legend

Bodyguards and Assassins

I love Kung Fu, Wushu, wuxia, Eastern, whatever style or genre you'd prefer to call it. And I love you all for loving it as well.
Hopefully one day I will come to your school, and we will finally see who has the best!

Snake and Tiger-Crane, Dragon-Monkey Stance
Iron Vest, Stone Hands, Shaolin Razor-Dance
Challengers step up, sign your waiver, take a chance
Grasshopper:
meet the sun, The One, whose style is too advanced.

Jinjiro

Fresh Prince of Darkness
Apr 20, 2008
Drunken Master II (or The Legend of the Drunken Master)

It has so many awesome fight scenes in it, and is an 'essential' Jackie Chan film.

Ponch

Mar 31, 2010
Ip Man 2
Kung Fu Hustle
Volcano High
Equilibrium
(does Gun Kata count?)
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter