Your favorite level in games you despise

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
You all have probably played some shitty games that you just plain hated. But, is there a little piece of chocolate amongst the steaming pile of shit that the rest of the game is?

I really hated the Battlefield 3 campaign, even though I love the multiplayer. It was insultingly short and generic, with the shit factor being backed up by atrocious A.I and a practically on-rails campaign. That being said, I do replay the "Comrades" level from time to time. I really liked playing as someone besides big-chin American soldier #561. Plus, the characters spoke in actual Russian instead of in an over-exaggerated Russian accent like Nikolai from Modern Warfare. There were incredibly shocking moments in the level that didn't seem forced, and actually had an emotional impact on me. I had to shoot my way through French police and GIGN "for the greater good," feeling like a bad guy. Then, Vladimir dies suddenly and saddeningly, accompanied by the most chilling soundtrack I've ever heard in gaming. When Dima looked back after Vladimir died a couple times, it nearly broke my heart. And in the end, Solomon's nuke goes off anyways, meaning that the death of Vladimir and all those French police officers was for nothing. That was one of the darkest and most depressing levels in gaming history, and I loved it for that reason. So, what are your favorite levels from games you otherwise hated?

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
The first two levels in Condemned 2 are pretty good. The hotel full of drug addicts and thugs is pure Condemned. After that, though, the game just falls apart.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I guess the Perfect Cell fight in Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi looked cool.

I SAY LOOKED COOL. PLAYED LIKE HORSE SHIT THOUGH.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
The pirate ship level in skyward sword was really fun. It was a creative way of doing a Zelda dungeon and reminded me alot of the "Yeti Mansion" in Twilight Princess.

I also really liked the fire boss in Metroid; other M

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
The last boss in Sonic 06 for two reasons. 1. The fucking game is over after it, and 2. I love the music of it

RaginDrage

Jul 4, 2012
I'm gonna have to say the same with the "Comrades" level in battlefield 3. For pretty much all the same reasons you've pointed out. Also I loved the destruction present in that level, which oddly enough is absent in the rest of the game.

Everything in Battlefield 3 felt by the numbers and so linear that accusing the game for "Holding your hand" would be an understatement.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm confused. Who plays games you don't like? And why do you pick a favorite out of something you hate? You DESPISE the game.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
The jungle levels in Blops and Killzone 3 (I just hate the campaign of Killzone 3. I like the multiplayer) becuase I like sneaking around with a knife.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I didn't despise Black Ops, but I didn't really like it either. I thought the Bay of Pigs invasion and Vorkuta were both pretty cool though.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well Condemned 2 was awesome until it hit exactly the halfway point then it just goes horribly wrong... I'd say don't go past the bear part and you'll be fine.

Evil mystical cults... Just what the fuck guys? The combat fell apart at that point as well. We have a combat system designed for melee weapons? Oh shit better make them use our shitty gun system for half the game!

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
The entirety of Dragon Age 2. I thought it was absolutely horrible for so many reasons, but every once in a while I'll catch myself wanting to go back and play it for the parts that are good. There were quite a few of them, but they were far outweighed by the not-so-good parts. Act 2 was probably my favorite, and if they had turned that in to an entire game, expanded it and spent more time on it, it would've been awesome.

Jun 7, 2010
Human Revolution was utter shite, but the level where you're sneaking into this big corporate building in Hengsha wasn't bad, I quite liked the difficulty of it. It was challenging because it was designed to be challenging, unlike the previous "sneak into is building" level where I was up against a small army with only a single shotgun shell to my name, which could have been rather exciting if I hadn't RUN OUT OF PUNCH-AMMO! Jesus, I still can't get over that fucking retarded melee. . .

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
The Spirit Temple in Ocarina of Time, the Arbiter's Grounds (or whatever the desert dungeon is called) in Twilight Princess, and the pirate fortress in Wind waker.

Considering I love Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword, and all the other Zelda games on handhelds/previous consoles, those three are just extra disappointing.

kevinsux909

Mar 4, 2010
Probably the Fade sequence in Drago-
(Re-reads the thread title)
Oh, it's good levels in bad games, not the other way around.
While I wouldn't say I despise the game, the Tokyo nightclub level in the first Kane and Lynch game wasn't too bad.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
The final boss of Devil May Cry 2. Your reward for beating some terrible bosses while playing through a rushed game with a weird combo system is a boss that actually feels like it belongs in Devil May Cry. From what I've seen on videos and my experience with a similar fight in Bayonetta the final secret room looks pretty awesome too, no way I'm going through some of the bullshit just to get to that though.