Your favorite philosopher

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
What it says on the tin. Who is your favorite philosopher and why? Obviously since we're talking about favorites I can't exactly ask people not to bring up certain, more common names (Nietzsche, Aristotle, Russel, etc), but less obvious ones are very welcome if only for the sake of variety.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
Not really a philosopher (actually, totally not a philosopher - although he did translate and comment on Nietzsche), but still one of the sharper minds of the 20th century: Henry Louis Mencken. A lot of his critique of society is still perfectly valid today. Which can mean that society didn't improve, nor really regress.

A more straight example would be Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I enjoyed reading the first two-thirds of The Black Swan. Because I apparently hate life, and am a sucker for epistemology.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
John Rawls! A famous ethics philosopher. I agree with a lot of what he said. He's kind of fallen out of fashion these days, but out of all the ethical philosophers, I agree with his positions the most. He was very sensible - keen to acknowledge and care for the suffering of others, but not so far up his own behind to neglect reality or practicality.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
This thread might be a honey trap for some of those pretentious douches who think that knowing a philosopher or two means you're 'wise'. They're all over my university carrying texts by Plato and Socrates, pretending to be 'deep'.

But I do like Foucault.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Don't suppose anyone knows of the social scientist Howard Bloom? I like the guy because he develops what he's seen from both scientific expertise and experience. Go and watch some of the Howard the Humongous episodes he did with The Amazing Atheist: that shit is interesting as fuck.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Adam Smith, economist and philosopher. For the for being the father of Capitalism I salute you.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Well, I can't really pretend to know anything about philosophers or even much about philosophy in general. However, I do love Bill Hicks, who sort of blended comedy and philosophy in his shows. Sort of. A little bit. A great mind, and I only wish I'd got to meet him before he died.

There are many stops I would make if I had a time machine, and to go meet Bill Hicks would be one of them.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Jesus Christ.

And hopefully to prevent this from turning into a religious discussion: I am an agnostic. I make no claims that he is or isn't divine. I make no claims that he is or isn't a real person historically rather than just an amalgamation of ideas and stories attributed to a name. For all intents and purposes, barring discovery of time travel, he is a real person historically speaking, and probably the most important Philosopher that has yet lived on this island we call Earth.

One could easily spend hours dissecting the philosophies and ideas attributed to him as well as his profound effect on religion and society. But he's my favorite philosopher for a much more limited reason than that. The birthing of an idea ignored for a long time before it was re-popularized by Count Leo Tolstoy in his Kingdom of God Essays. An idea that I sincerely hope continues to grow in popularity, as it has been, and changes the way we treat our fellow human beings.

Every single non-violent movement every pacifist has stemmed from Jesus' sermon on the mount speech. The idea that the only way to break the cycle of violence is to replace it with one of love. That we should turn the other cheek, to not back down but to not respond in kind to those who would hurt us. The US civil rights movement, the Indian independence movement, the mothers of the Plaza de Mayo, the velvet revolution, the Rosenstrasse protest in the heart of Nazi Berlin; are all heritage from that simple idea.

Captain Billy

Dec 18, 2012
Mycroft Holmes said:
Jesus Christ.

And hopefully to prevent this from turning into a religious discussion: I am an agnostic. I make no claims that he is or isn't divine. I make no claims that he is or isn't a real person historically rather than just an amalgamation of ideas and stories attributed to a name. For all intents and purposes, barring discovery of time travel, he is a real person historically speaking, and probably the most important Philosopher that has yet lived on this island we call Earth...Every single non-violent movement every pacifist has stemmed from Jesus' sermon on the mount speech. The idea that the only way to break the cycle of violence is to replace it with one of love. That we should turn the other cheek, to not back down but to not respond in kind to those who would hurt us. The US civil rights movement, the Indian independence movement, the mothers of the Plaza de Mayo, the velvet revolution, the Rosenstrasse protest in the heart of Nazi Berlin; are all heritage from that simple idea.
Bingo. Well said.

I'd like to say Jesus too, but as a Christian, I'm not sure if it'd be fair to count a god as a philosopher, so I'll say C.S. Lewis. A brilliant man with an absolutely uncanny ability to make the spiritual understandable (The Screwtape Letters) and the mundane breathtaking (The Great Divorce), Lewis' body of work, I think, manages to capture and explain everything modern Christianity should be.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Mycroft Holmes said:
Jesus Christ.

And hopefully to prevent this from turning into a religious discussion: I am an agnostic. I make no claims that he is or isn't divine. I make no claims that he is or isn't a real person historically rather than just an amalgamation of ideas and stories attributed to a name. For all intents and purposes, barring discovery of time travel, he is a real person historically speaking, and probably the most important Philosopher that has yet lived on this island we call Earth.

One could easily spend hours dissecting the philosophies and ideas attributed to him as well as his profound effect on religion and society. But he's my favorite philosopher for a much more limited reason than that. The birthing of an idea ignored for a long time before it was re-popularized by Count Leo Tolstoy in his Kingdom of God Essays. An idea that I sincerely hope continues to grow in popularity, as it has been, and changed the way we treat our fellow human beings.

Every single non-violent movement every pacifist has stemmed from Jesus' sermon on the mount speech. The idea that the only way to break the cycle of violence is to replace it with one of love. That we should turn the other cheek, to not back down but to not respond in kind to those who would hurt us. The US civil rights movement, the Indian independence movement, the mothers of the Plaza de Mayo, the velvet revolution, the Rosenstrasse protest in the heart of Nazi Berlin; are all heritage from that simple idea.
You probably want to go with Jesus of Nazareth rather than Christ then. Christ implies divinity.

I like the way Freud organised the mind, I like Kant's ethics, and I think Satre makes a lot of sense.

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
I'm going to have to go with Plato/Socrates. Seriously now, the guy created the dialetics, here's the world's first troll.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Plato.
His Tripartite system is quite interesting, as is the Theory of Forms/Ideas, even if it has a few holes.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Every one know that there is only ONE correct answer to this question and any one who say otherwise is a fool of the highest order-the philosopher of the modern age I present to you the one and only:
I bring you some of the vast magnitude of his knowledge:

Feb 22, 2009
Albert Camus.

I love his philosophical stance on being aware of our own mortality but not being in any way accepting of it; the idea that solidarity with other people can help us keep strong in the face of that mortality; his political stance that we should work to improve society without taking the easy way out of hoping for a revolution that would magically transform the world; his complete opposition to killing in any form, be it war, the death penalty, murder, etc.; his refusal to go along with other French philosophers of his period who were busy making excuses for the horrors going on in communist states; his beautifully written novels and short fiction; and of course some of his excellent quotes:
"Man is mortal. That may be; but let us die resisting; and if our lot is complete annihilation, let us not behave in such a way that it seems justice!"
"Do not wait for the last judgement; it takes place every day."

Yes, Camus is absolutely great.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Rumi for sure. His poetry is incredible and deep. I have a difficult time deciding between Thoreau and Emerson for second place.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I quite like Schopenhauer myself.

Lots of, in my opinion, crazy stuff in his ideas but there's a few gems in there as well that made me think more than any other philosopher I've read about.

I especially like some of his views on morality and free will.