And sitting by desolate streams;?
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

- Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
There are a lot of great quotes on this board. I'd like to offer some I've picked up along the way.

"I'm an outsider by choice, but not truly. It's the unpleasantnes of the system that keeps me out. I'd rather be in, in a good system. That's where my discontent comes from: being forced to choose to stay outside. My advice: Just keep movin' straight ahead. Every now and then you find yourself in a different place."

"We're all amateurs; it's just that some of us are more professional about it than others."

George Carlin

"That is one of the key things I learned in these years, and I learned it the hard way. Anybody who thinks that "it doesn't matter who's President" has never been drafted and sent off to fight and die in a vicious, stupid war on the other side of the world--or been beaten and gassed by Police for trespassing on public property--or been hounded by the IRS for purely political reasons--or locked up in the Cook County Jail with a broken nose and no phone access and twelve perverts wanting to stomp your ass in the shower. That is when it matters who is President or Governor or Police Chief. That is when you will wish you had voted."

Hunter S. Thompson - from "Politics is the Art of Controlling your Environment"

Here are some quotes found on YouTube I tend to find inspiring in one form or another.

Be Water by Bruce Lee

A Game of Inches by Al Pachino - Any Given Sunday

America is Not the Greatest Country in the World by Jeff Daniels - The Newsroom

And, finally, an uplifting quote from the Man of Steel... Superman.

All Star Superman #10

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
My two favourites are probably, firstly, from the sleeve of Pulp's Different Class album:
"Please understand - we don't want no trouble. We just want the right to be different. That's all."

And secondly, from a book I think was called My Work is Not Yet Done:
"There is nothing left to save, if there ever was anything...if there ever could be. All we desire (in all our bitterness) is to go to our ruin in our own way -- with a little style and a lot of noise."

I have one more, but it's far too long to be a quote. It's an extract from a book called The Torture Garden that featured on the back of the Manic Street Preacher's Holy Bible album, and goes as follows:

You're obliged to pretend respect for people and institutions you think absurd. You live attached in a cowardly fashion to moral and social conventions you despise, condemn, and know lack all foundation. It is that permanent contradiction between your ideas and desires and all the dead formalities and vain pretences of your civilization which makes you sad, troubled and unbalanced.

In that intolerable conflict you lose all joy of life and all feeling of personality, because at every moment they suppress and restrain and check the free play of your powers. That's the poisoned and mortal wound of the civilized world.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
?There are no secrets in life, just hidden truths that lie beneath the surface.? -- Dexter

?When you love something, never lose it. Understand, little one? You must keep it safe, close to your heart.? -- Bayonetta

"Relationships don't work the way they do on television and in the movies. Will they? Won't they? And then they finally do, and they're happy forever. Gimme a break. Nine out of ten of them end because they weren't right for each other to begin with, and half of the ones who get married get divorced anyway, and I'm telling you right now, through all this stuff, I have not become a cynic, I haven't. Yes, I do happen to believe that love is mainly about pushing chocolate covered candies and, y'know, in some cultures, a chicken. You can call me a sucker, I don't care, because I do believe in it. Bottom line is: it's couples who are truly right for each other wade through the same crap as everybody else, but the big difference is they don't let it take them down. One of those two people will stand up and fight for that relationship every time. If it's right, and they're real lucky, one of them will say something." -- Dr Cox

?You may not be her first, her last, or her only. She loved before, she may love again. But if she loves you now, what else matters? She?s not perfect ? you aren?t either, and the two of you may never be perfect together but if she can make you laugh, cause you to think twice, and admit to being human and making mistakes, hold onto her and give her the most you can. She may not be thinking about you every second of the day, but she will give you a part of her that she knows you can break ? her heart. So don?t hurt her, don?t change her, don?t analyze and don?t expect more than she can give. Smile when she makes you happy, let her know when she makes you mad, and miss her when she?s not there.? -- Bob Marley

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
Of all of those that have been in games, Grigori from Dragon's Dogma has had some of the greatest lines.

Two of which:

"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening"
A Dragon's Deal

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
There's really only one quote I can put here:

"A man chooses; a slave obeys."

And if you need me to tell you where that's from, you probably shouldn't be on this sight.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
"I don't care if there is a war on and a massive IED threat, I like watermelon so I'm going to steal a car I can't drive and run a Taliban checkpoint in order to go to the market."
- The Junior Officer's Reading Club by Patrick Hennessey

"Of course [violence isn't always the answer]! Sometimes the solution is pure unfettered rage."
- Kevin Griffin (3ChordDorks)

‎"Paley finds a watch and asks how such a thing could have come to be there by chance. Dawkins finds an immense automated factory that blindly constructs watches, and feels that he has completely answered Paley?s point."
- Stephen Barr on the Ultimate Boeing 747 Gambit

I have a bunch more but these are my favourites.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
"I know I ain't doin' much 'cos doin' nothing means alot too me" - AC/DC - Down Payment Blues (added the cos)

"Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time" - Beatrix Russell - F:NV

4nthr4x

Jun 5, 2010
"The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"

my motto

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger, Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." Mel Brooks

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." Groucho Marx

"Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better." Albert Camus

"Shared Joy is increased, Shared Pain is lessened." Spider Robinson

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
One that never fails to make me smile:

"I see you're going to Hell before me. Be sure to put in a good word." -Hratli

Now a philosophical one:
"Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future." - Paul Boese

And another platitude that I happily take to heart:
"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit." - Harry Truman

drh1975

Dec 8, 2010
You can't die with dignity. You can only live with it. - Dr. Gregory House
It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away everything he has, and everything he's ever gonna have. - Will Munny (Clint Eastwood's character in Unforgiven)
I was born a poor black child. - Navin Johnson (Steve Martin in The Jerk)
Well, I had a better year than he did. - Babe Ruth, after being told he was paid more than the President.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain - and most fools do. - Benjamin Franklin