Your favorite song from a video game

Smygskytt

May 18, 2015
When it comes to music, Remedy is always phenomenal. They had Poets of the Fall write two entirely new songs for the game, and later one more for the expansion. These songs were even released on Spotify under the group Old Gods of Asgard, and that band only exists within Alan Wake.

When it comes to soundtracks, I'd say that Max Payne 2 has the upper hand over Alan Wake though.These are my favorite themes:

theSovietConnection said:
Since I haven't seen any love for it yet, I'll throw up one of my favorite tracks from Black, though the whole soundtrack qualifies for me
It's a great moment within the game, and it still amazes me how that is the only proper cut scene in the entire game. I just wish that the game had utilized a better checkpoint system. I mean, Halo had pretty much perfected the FPS checkpoints five years earlier, so this is simply unacceptable.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Akira Yamaoka, best musical combination in gaming
But Mirror's Edge was pretty good too.

Silketrix

Jul 16, 2016
I also love the music for the Railroad in Fallout 4, it's mesmerizing and so incredibly atmospheric. I think that's the best music written for a game I've have ever heard :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfwUDurnbx0

ommadawnyawn

Jun 17, 2013
Love this second version of the Jet Set Willy theme from 1987, especially the solo at 2:15-ish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdh4PO7aT68&hd=1

Neotokyo - Annul (great mix of post rock and 90s electronic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM6eZJRurFk&hd=1

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Joos said:
Not just great gameplay and inspiring graphics, but easily one of the best tunes on the Amiga 500.

Groundbreaking graphics (for the time), amazing soundtrack but sadly dull gameplay. Can't get everything I suppose.
Skip to 3:13 for the first gameplay music.
Best soundtrack for a NES game ever. Like, ever.
From the Angel-remix intro screen, to the in your face industrial metal of Ministry, this soundtrack is probably as good as it gets.
I love the Mass Effect series, in part of the amazing music and atmospheric soundscapes created by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick. A lot of the time I would open up the starmap and just let this song loop while I was doing things around the house or meditating. It is just so fantastic.
Will DOOM mark the return of Reznor inspired industrial music in our games? I for one certainly hope so!

OT: These forums need like buttons or something similar. There are so many posts in this thread that I want to click 'Like' on! :)
This is just one of the many, many (2 hour+ long) OST.
Wow, Id forgotten all about turrican. Amazing game although moonstone was my favourite ever amiga title. Thank you for suggesting mass effect to. How odd that seeing and hearing that hit me right in the feels.

I would suggest the streetfighter theme.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
What? I can't believe I'm the first one to mention this one!

Here it is, the most beautiful song ever enscrawled upon a video game cartridge:

Ahhhhhh, heaven to the ears! Such amazing simplicity, and yet it has powerful depths to it. Truly a masterwork!

Sep 9, 2007
Most of mine have already been mentioned, so here are a few different ones:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've had several songs from videogames that stuck with me over the years, but the one that takes the cake and will stick with me forever is from "Inside," (absolutely stunning, must-play game, btw.) I've only seen it referred to as the theme from the "shockwave/sonic boom" level. I sat at the end of the chapter just listening for about 20 minutes the first time I played through; I was just so immersed in the game up to that point, so many questions; then, when the hopeful ambient synths kicked despite the mechanical pulses surging forward in the dark dreadfulness of it all? Ugh, it was just too much.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
KissingSunlight said:
I forced myself to finish Wolfenstein: The New Order, because the story was good. Unfortunately, I hated how the story ended. Except, the cover of a Chris Isaak song that they played over the credits is fantastically great.
Holy...I am at a loss for words. That was so emotional...made me teary-eyed.

Video game music is one of the most important things for me. It is why I love playing rpgs. It has such a huge influence. And that is why picking one is impossible, because each game has a song that just encapsulates the feeling of it.

I don't want to spend all night linking videos so I will just put down a couple...let's see here...

Just started playing Wild Arms sooooo

THE Mass Effect theme for me...

Final Fantasy

Street Fighter 2!!!!

I could go on for days!

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
As good as Miami Disco was, it did have stiff competetion in my mind.

Such as...

Something that wouldn't have been out of place in a Death Wish or Dirty Harry sequel.

Was my ringtone for a while and LONG before you could have it as a ringtone in a GTA game.

Beat em ups are my favorite genre of game overall, and nothing gets one more eager to just start decking people till they flash than Fighting in the Street did. As good as the Genesis rendering was, Remake somehow made it even better (as it did with all the iconic tunes from the franchise).

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
for me it's either Tifa's Theme from FF VII or the over world theme from The Legend of Zelda series.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
FF7 overworld is my favourite map theme

This is actually top 5 for me. And man, that genesis cover is hype. Still have the case! Love that Axel uppercut. BAM!

Kotor 2 had a great menu

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
There are a few that come to mind...Here, let me get some links set up;

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call is essentially a cheat sheet for what I like too. Really loved that game and its prequel.

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
Hard to pick one, but since it hasn't been mentioned yet

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Even though I think Mirrors Edge is a pretty average game, the soundtrack by Solar Fields is awesome.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
To me, it's a tie between these three:
A very powerful song. The male chorus encapsulates well the unity of the watchers, while the female vocals almost give a mournful tone to reflect the fact that they have fallen to that which they swore to destroy.
Tranquil and hopeful. A simple tune, that conveys the true ending of the game. A song to listen with your friends at the end of the day.
By the time you hear it, you know you're deep into the game. It gives a weird, mysterious yet warm feel, like discovering a beautiful cavern.
Edit:
It's nice to see YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS actual Heavy Metal being made for original videogame soundtracks.