Your favorite strategy games I might not have heard of.

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
A simple thread really. I am a big strategy fan and I have played a variety of strategy games. The one I enjoyed the most was Age of Mythology. It had a great campaign, good graphics for its time (2002) and very interesting units. I also really liked the God Powers. I want to know what your favorite strategy games are and why you think people should play them.

EDIT: I might have been a bit vague, so I want to clarify something. Any strategy game counts. Realtime, turn-based, tactics or otherwise.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
Empire at War is good, also, if you have the recources to try to find it Celtic Kings: Punic Wars a very, very, very, hidden gem

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
I'm terrible at RTS but as for turn based strategy:

X-COM: Enemy unknown - By far the most immersive strategy game i've ever played, you actually end up caring about your units and trying as hard as possible not to lose a single one, cause they arent coming back.

Disgaea - This is equal parts level grinding and stat building as it is strategy, but it can become fiendishly addictive. Plus it has a hilarious story and a great soundtrack.

Final Fantasy Tactics - Much more based around actual tactics than Disgaea, i've been playing the DS version recently and is one of the best DS games to come out in a while.

Honourable mention:
Mount & Blade:Warband - Not exactly a strategy game, but it has army commanding and campaign map strategy. It's like playing a Total War game from the perspective of an officer on the battlefield.

I apologise in advance for the total lack of real time strategy games, which was probably what you were looking for.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Age of Empires 3 (Or two they both are good). Well They both are just fun. You upgrade your units as in any other RTS but each civilization has something specific. Also in Age of Empires 3 there is the Home city feature where you can use cards in a deck and what ever the card you select has then thats the unit that will be shipped. There is a WIIIIIIIIDDDDDDEEEEEE variety of units that you would just need to play all the civs to understand. This was my first ever RTS series that I started playing when I like 8.All the games are good and I still play it them to this day.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Homeworld.

Space battle RTS in 3D. Epic story, great graphics for its time (1999, hasn't aged too badly), good gameplay, perfect soundtrack.

Other favorites:

Homeworld 2
Age of Mythology
Age of Empires 3
Warcraft III + Frozen Throne
Battle for Middle Earth
Empire at War
World in Conflict

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
imahobbit4062 said:
Rome Total War (the only other Total War game I've played is Medieval 2...and the units just seem much, much more useless).
Funny thing is, I actually own it and played it for a while. I even have the Barbarians Expansion. I really enjoyed the skirmishes, but I was really bad at the campaign. I will admit though that it was really fun to see my hastily devised plans actually work once in a while.

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
enzilewulf said:
Age of Empires 3 (Or two they both are good).
Age of Empires 3 was really good. I liked playing as the Ottomans and the Dutch myself. The expansions were pretty kickass as well. Especially the second one.

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
Well I'll again come shout my "if you just make this in HD developers, I will love you forever" game: Metal Fatigue, look it up, amazing concept for a rts about mechs.

Hiname

Songstress of Ar Ciel
Mar 23, 2011
Lesse...

Disgaea, as mentioned before.

La Pucelle Tactics.
Bassicly Disgaea with a different story and a slight twist in the combat system. if you want to do it "right", you will spend big chunks of time per combat fiddling around with nuking the entire field using massive miracles.

Battle Realms.
Old and dated, but defenitly a evergreen for me. A good, old-fashioned RTS with a heavy, japanese style and mythology. Four clans, two kinds of reccourses.. kick back and watch dual-wielding samurai bash away maggot-stuffed plaque-bearers into bits while being heal-spammed by a Geisha. Eff Yeah.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
All I need is Civ 5. I don't really like RTS, so 4X turn-based is the shit. They are of course best as singleplayer, as they are simply too slow for multiplayer. But as singleplayer, the strategy-part really excels. It's not about who has the highest APM or the exact right DPI, it's all about being clever.

However, if you really want an RTS, I'd suggest Sins of a Solar Empire. It has truly HUGE gameplay, but it still doesn't get crazy confusing, as the AI can control your ships in battle quite well.

I have also heard many good things about Star Ruler, but I have yet to have played it for myself.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Hylke Langhout said:
enzilewulf said:
Age of Empires 3 was really good. I liked playing as the Ottomans and the Dutch myself. The expansions were pretty kickass as well. Especially the second one.
Thank god I am not the only one who sees how kick ass the dutch are.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
europa universalis 3. One of the simpler of the paradox interactive endorsed strategy games.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
deadlock: planetary conquest was probably my favourite. it was turn based with a random map generator. It was so ridiculously fun. I cant get it to work anymore on my computer since its so old...

oh and im sure youve heard of heroes of might and magic three. if you havent you can buy it on good old games.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
enzilewulf said:
Hylke Langhout said:
enzilewulf said:
Thank god I am not the only one who sees how kick ass the dutch are.
Part of the reason why I usually used the Dutch was because I am Dutch myself. I only wished they used a bit more inspired voice acting, but otherwise it's a great faction to play.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Have you played Dungeon Keeper?

It's not exactly a traditional RTS, but I've had more fun on that game and its sequel than with every other strategy game combined. I'm not fully certain it's actually counted as an RTS, but it is definitely a strategy game of some sort so I assume it counts.