Your favorite strategy games I might not have heard of.

TheHappySquid

Feb 2, 2011
Soul Nomad and The World Eaters, a square-grid, turn-based strategy rpg by Nippon Ichi on the PS2.

Possibly my favourite game ever, but sort of rare, got mine for £40 off of ebay, but worth it definitely.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Moochkin said:
To name a few of my favourite games;

- "Z" probably my favourite.

- "Total Annihilation" A great game that i still play although if you get it download the UTASP mod for it (Made by the creater of Supreme commander which is pretty much a TA2 :p )

- "Homeworld"

- "Dominion" pretty hard to find nowadays but enjoyable at the time. could still be worth a look at as it was a very good game.
Yay, someone mentioned Homeworld!

Aside from Homeworld, I'd say Sins of a Solar Empire. Yeah, I love space sims.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
warlords battlecry 2
best RTS i ever played beside AoE 2

i just can't say no to a fantasy RTS with 12 different races

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
-Phantom Brave (Aka Phantom brave Till We Meet again or Phantom Brave The Hermuda Triangle)

Developper: Nippon Ichi Software (Makers of Disgaea)
Platforms: PS2, Wii, PSP
Gameplay Format: Chaptered Missions and Turn Based

Overview: Your entire team, minus leader, are phantoms. You can confine their souls to onjects to give them form, and they only last so many turns. When you run out of objects or phantoms, things can get intense. The story is very simplistic but still moving, and the gameplay is hardcore once you get into it.

- Valkyria Chronicles

Developper: SEGA
Platform: PS3

Overview: Perhaps one of the most powerfully delivered stories ever. In an alternate Earth-like world, The Second Europan War (A metaphor for our own WW2) is on. Complete with serious topics about Racism (inspired by anti semitism) and even concentration camps, the gameplay is amazing. You see a map with your units on it. You pick a unit and it zooms in. It hybridizes turn based strategies with 3rd person shooter in a sense, although all action (enemies will take shots at you as you run around, for realism) stops when you aim, giving you unlimited time to line up your shot, allowing even those who suck at shooters to get headshots. With it's class-based system, quirky cast, and Potential System (every individual characters has their own perks, like allergies or crushes, that affect their battle performance) this game is perhaps one of my favorite of all time, and I've been a gamer for 20 years!

- Rome Total War

Platform: PC
Gameplay Format: Map-based Campaign. Real time battlefields.

Overview: What can I say that hasn't already been said?

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Galactic Civilizations II. Just be sure you play on the most recent expansion pack, Twilight of The Arnor, though, as that one fleshes out all the races and improves the game as a whole.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Rise of Nations is still the best RTS ever in my opinion. AoE2 still gets a lot of light around here, but me and my friends prefer RoN.
Besides the classics, though... Company of Heroes is pretty fun. And there's that gamemode in Lego Star Wars 3 that only I seemed to enjoy. But whatever.

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
sheogoraththemad said:
I always liked the battle for middle earth games, check them out if you haven't!
I played BFME2 and the expansion as well. I enjoyed the hero creation and the large squad gameplay.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Really, nobody mentioned either Dawn of War? For shame.

Dawn of War 1 was an interesting new take on RTS. No resource gathering, instead you just capture requisition points and build reactors at your base, and that's all. The fact that you need to go out and capture Req. points discourages turtleing, and really makes the game much more frantic than most RTS. It has an awesome campaign, the story/flavor is fantastic (Warhammer 40K, after all), and it has 3 expansions...I would just get the Platinum edition, and pretend Soulstorm doesn't exist.

Dawn of War 2 on the other hand take the series in a new direction, and basically combines the first with the developers other big RTS series, Company of Heroes. It also removes ALL base building, and puts more emphasis on Commander units, and just general a smaller scale, but more focus on upgrading what you have. That, and the Campaign plays like a squad based Diablo type game, and it has co-op. It has two expansions, both standalone, so if you're only interested in Multiplayer, I'd just get Retribution. If not, get the original plus Chaos Rising, and Retribution if you really like the multiplayer.

I really recommend watching videos of gameplay, to see if they look like your thing, but I play A LOT of RTS, and this is easily my favorite series.

Oh, as for TBS the only ones I've ever played were the old X-Com games, and they were really good. Hard as all hell though.

If you're interested in something with less emphasis on combat, The Civilization series is really good. Hell, Civ 5 is addicting as can be.

Insignia19

Sep 1, 2009
kingthrall said:
MYTH 2 SOUBLIGHTER, HANDS DOWN BEATS EVERYTHING POSTED HERE.
If you didn't say it I would have! All 3 Myth games are badass, despite how old and aged they've become.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I generally dont play a lot of startegy games but I will mention the ones I have enjoyed over the years:-

Disgaea series - fun characters and gameplay with massive potential for advancement.

Advance wars 1 and 2 - suberb turn based action without rpg bits.

Battle Chess - is this cheating? ah well not a game for serious chess players but damn fun for anyone else.

Magic the Gathering, microprose versions - probably quite hard to get now but still the best single player of any magic game commercially released.

and

Ranylyn said:
- Valkyria Chronicles

Developper: SEGA
Platform: PS3

Overview: Perhaps one of the most powerfully delivered stories ever. In an alternate Earth-like world, The Second Europan War (A metaphor for our own WW2) is on. Complete with serious topics about Racism (inspired by anti semitism) and even concentration camps, the gameplay is amazing. You see a map with your units on it. You pick a unit and it zooms in. It hybridizes turn based strategies with 3rd person shooter in a sense, although all action (enemies will take shots at you as you run around, for realism) stops when you aim, giving you unlimited time to line up your shot, allowing even those who suck at shooters to get headshots. With it's class-based system, quirky cast, and Potential System (every individual characters has their own perks, like allergies or crushes, that affect their battle performance) this game is perhaps one of my favorite of all time, and I've been a gamer for 20 years!
this one for all the reasons stated here.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Most of those already mentioned are phenomenal. Especially Homeworld, GalCiv 2, Master of Magic, and Sins of a Solar Empire.

A few more to consider...

[em]Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns[/em] - small scale fantasy RTS complete with original story and interesting unit customization
[em]Combat Mission[/em] - WW2 battles, not pretty but amazingly tense and hardcore. The new Battle for Normandy is good, but my favorite is still Barbarossa to Berlin
[em]Panzer General 3D[/em] - play this!
[em]Rise of Nations[/em] - very similar to Ensemble's Age games
[em]Sacrifice[/em] - a bit like Battlezone in that you control an avatar and take part in the battles directly

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
Grey_Focks said:

Dawn of War 1 was an interesting new take on RTS. No resource gathering, instead you just capture requisition points and build reactors at your base, and that's all. The fact that you need to go out and capture Req. points discourages turtleing, and really makes the game much more frantic than most RTS. It has an awesome campaign, the story/flavor is fantastic (Warhammer 40K, after all), and it has 3 expansions...I would just get the Platinum edition, and pretend Soulstorm doesn't exist.

Dawn of War 2 on the other hand take the series in a new direction, and basically combines the first with the developers other big RTS series, Company of Heroes. It also removes ALL base building, and puts more emphasis on Commander units, and just general a smaller scale, but more focus on upgrading what you have. That, and the Campaign plays like a squad based Diablo type game, and it has co-op. It has two expansions, both standalone, so if you're only interested in Multiplayer, I'd just get Retribution. If not, get the original plus Chaos Rising, and Retribution if you really like the multiplayer.

I really recommend watching videos of gameplay, to see if they look like your thing, but I play A LOT of RTS, and this is easily my favorite series.

Oh, as for TBS the only ones I've ever played were the old X-Com games, and they were really good. Hard as all hell though.

If you're interested in something with less emphasis on combat, The Civilization series is really good. Hell, Civ 5 is addicting as can be.
I've tried the first Dawn of War and it didn't really click for me. I have no idea why, but there's just something in it that doesn't work for me. I recently bought Retribution for my older brother's birthday and I have to say, it looks completely awesome. One question though: Why do fans of the original game hate Soulstorm so much? It added a lot more content to the game and (according to Wikipedia) received decent reviews.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Hylke Langhout said:
Grey_Focks said:

I've tried the first Dawn of War and it didn't really click for me. I have no idea why, but there's just something in it that doesn't work for me. I recently bought Retribution for my older brother's birthday and I have to say, it looks completely awesome. One question though: Why do fans of the original game hate Soulstorm so much? It added a lot more content to the game and (according to Wikipedia) received decent reviews.

It added content, but the content in question kinda sucked. It added "air units", which were quite a letdown, and it added two races that nobody really cared about. It also just severely messed with the balance of the game. That, and the load times were horrible, and the campaign was just a shoddy redo of Dark Crusade's campaign.

Take all that into consideration, and then add that Dark Crusade has a helluva modding community (That actually add more races than soulstorm), and just it still has a larger community than soulstorm in general...you get the idea.

I'd certainly still recommend Dawn of War 2 though. It's disgustingly fun.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
Ginga Sengoku Gunyuuden Rai. An SNES RTS turn-based hybrid. Kind of like a free form fire emblem in space, except with allot more depth. Formations and ship facings make a huge tactical difference. Commanders gain levels but can be vanquished if their flagship is destroyed or taken in a boarding action. In the real time segment you manage production and the buildup of your fleets. There's some Japanese in some of the menu's but it's still quite easy to pick up.

Mount and Blade is technically an RPG but once you start managing a good size mercenary band and some territory it becomes another great strategy and tactical hybrid.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Empire Earth series is another very good RTS. Really well balanced, good unit building mechanics and smooth unit orders interface.

Captain Trek

Jul 21, 2011
My top obscure picks would be Conquest: Frontier Wars and Civil War Generals 2: Grant, Lee, Sherman.

The former was released in 2001 and, like Age of Mythology, has excellent graphics for the time. At first glance it appears to be fairly standard, with three races, the Terrans, Mantis and Celearions (sound familiar?) battling it out using a variety of starship classes. However, C:FW is actually rather unique in that bases are constructed in orbit of a limited number of pre-placed planets, battles take place across what effective amount to multiple small maps connected up by a series of wormholes that serve as chokepoints, bases in different sectors must be kept "in supply" to headquarters buildings by building jump gates on the wormholes (which also lock down the wormhole and so must be destroyed before enemy ships can use the wormhole again) and finally all combat vessels carry a limited number of "supplies", which must be replenished by supply ships and/or certain types of platforms as they fire their weapons and use special abilities. The game also has a very nice Starship Troopers inspired soundtrack, good voice acting and a surprisingly decent storyline for its campaign (which is also worth noting as it manages to seemlessly mesh together ultimately getting to play as all three races over the span of one long campaign, as opposed to having a seperate campaign for each faction). I am admittedly rather biased because this is one of my favourite games from my childhood, but I still feel it's well worth checking out for any strategy fan.

The latter, meanwhile, was (I believe) released in 2000 and couldn't be more different to C:FW. It is a turn-based game that, as its name suggests, revolves around the American Civil War. Battles take place between Union and Confederate brigades across a hex-based map, very much like many of the old tabletop wargames out there but with the benefit of having the computer do all the number-crunching for the player. This is handy, as the game keeps track of a huge number of complex, realistic factors that go into determining how effective or ineffective any given unit will ultimately be in combat, from different weapon types all the way to the experience and skill of a unit's commander. The battles themselves are highly strategic, with flanking, rear attacks, morale failure, ammunition supplies, leader casulaties, headquarters units and cover amongst others all factoring in. This is, admittedly, a somewhat difficult game to get into, but once you master it, routing an entire enemy force clean from the field and being able declare victory half-a-day before the battle you're fighting historically ended is a turly satisfying experience. If you've got some time on your hands, this is a great game to explore.