Your favorite type of villian?

Alkore

May 25, 2009
I prefer the villans who are compelled by something like curiosity (scarecrow) or and addiction like Two face has with the number 2.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
freakyalex said:
As Moriarty70 said, villians who act purely to test their own abilities - such as, for example, Moriarty - have the capacity to be very interesting foils for the hero, especially when the two are intellectually equal. But my personal favourite villain in probably John Simms' 'Master' from Doctor Who. He's similar to the 'mad as a hatter' category of villians, such as the Joker, but he isn't quite outright insane - instead, it's like the madness is bubbling just beneath the surface, waiting to come out.
I got much the same impression from Moriarty in Sherlock, the miniseries from last year. Cold, calculating and ruthless to a fault, but in conversation he gives off the impression that beneath the chill exterior he's a raving madman.

May 17, 2010
Depends on the show. differenet things work depending on different circumstances.

My problem with the psychos is that they are often such a local threat. While they can be scary and dangerous, they rarely tend to be acting in a group and often are incapable of any real long term plans. As such I think they can be quite good at getting me to be afriad of them, or to hate them, but never to think they are an interesting character.

My favourite type of villian is the bad guy who deals with an idealogy that is, in some ways attractive. He won't be snarling all the time and raping left right and centre but will give reasons for his actions. He will be capable of eating dinner with his family and his wife will genuienly love him. But what he actually does is evil and to a certain extent the villian recognises it but is unable to stop doing it due to his own moral convictions that this is right. So he develops a sense of hatred towards himself which adds to him by making his character feel much more realistic. Yes he needs to be stopped , but a small part of you asks "Is he really?"

Sorry that was rambling and not well thought out.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
I agree fully with OP, the more complex and morally ambiguous villains are the best, they are more believable and thus more relevant. These kind of villains are far more common in Anime, than in western stories, adding to one of te reasons to why i love Anime.

This favorite type of villain is followed by the funny (and usually not very successful) villains. Finally, the theatrical Villains are always fun (3rd place).

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Irony said:
Warning: Reading TvTropes may cause the reader to lose several hours of productive time doing so. If you experience reading secessions lasting longer than 4 hours contact your doctor immediately. Readers should not read TvTropes when opperating heavy machinery.
My god, how true this is.
I spent 9 hours straight at a weekend once.

OT: I tend to like black and black, grey and black, or grey and grey morality, so...

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
I like when the villain has some sort of history with the protagonist, or at least the deuteragonist or the tritagonist.

But I also love when the real villain is behind the scenes, letting everything play itself out before making their move. For example, in the story I started working on today, the Dark King, Edinias, was once the pupil of Chriamus, a wise Mage. Chriamus, meanwhile, was once the best friend of the Wretched Mage, Durzon. Hoping to overpower his former mentor, Edinias has summoned Durzon from beyond the Forbidden Plane, and agrees to allow Durzon to raise an army of demons. When he is finally able to confront his mentor, he has his demons strike him down, afraid of him. As a last resort, Chriamus orders his newest student, Tailis, to enter the Dark King's service. The King kills her, and brings her back as a Wretched (a human with a demon sealed into their soul). Over time, Tailis secretly recovers the corpses of Chriamus's other five students, and brings them back as the Black Hand, and plans to bring down the Dark King. While all of this is happening, the Venori (a Mage family living in a floating citadel[the entire world is steampunk, by the way]) are behind the scenes, watching as their newest member(although she does not know she is a member) directly, and indirectly, eliminates all of their enemies.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Jedoro said:
My favorites are the ones who are just insane, like the Joker. If you're going to be bad, be funny about it.
Seconded. I'm fond of the clever assassin villain as well.

370999 said:
My favourite type of villian is the bad guy who deals with an idealogy that is, in some ways attractive. He won't be snarling all the time and raping left right and centre but will give reasons for his actions. He will be capable of eating dinner with his family and his wife will genuienly love him. But what he actually does is evil and to a certain extent the villian recognises it but is unable to stop doing it due to his own moral convictions that this is right. So he develops a sense of hatred towards himself which adds to him by making his character feel much more realistic. Yes he needs to be stopped , but a small part of you asks "Is he really?"
And seconded. Both of these are a tie in first for my favorites. There's actually a 3 way tie, the hard-boiled noir type (Sometimes a hard archetype to find.) can be pulled off. Mona from Max Payne would be an example of this, if you ask me.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The villains who fight with their brains, not their fists. Nuff said.

Jedoro said:
My favorites are the ones who are just insane, like the Joker. If you're going to be bad, be funny about it.
This too.

Mariner

Sep 27, 2010
Mine is some who is such a Magnificent Bastard that no one, not even the people who made it sees it coming. So unexpected that even if you read or play the comic/game again that it will still catch you off guard.

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
I like cunning villains who have a psychopathic side and have a long running relationship with the main antagonist. The only character I have encountered like this is Achilles from the Ender's Shadow series.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
I like people who perform evil because it is for (at least in their opinion) the betterment of everyone. TV Tropes calls it Well Intentioned Extremist.

Reaver3

Jan 9, 2011
I like the rich flamboyant kind, that hate their fellow man and does anything for a quick buck...

My username alone should give away who my favorite villain is

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The crazy powerful type that does horrifying things and has techniques that can intimidate even the hero, basically the worst case scenario. I like ém because when they finally get their cummuffins it is really satisfying.

Like these pricks:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3900000/Carnage-spider-man-3979267-1024-768.jpg

http://images.saiyanisland.com/data/529/Orochimaru.jpg

http://www.sinopenn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/general_grievous.jpg

Mister Swift

Disingenuously asserting.
Jan 27, 2010
I like villains that can follow this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilOverlordList

Sadly, none such exist...

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Smeagol, maybe?

No, stop. Not the barber from High Plains Drifter shouting "Gollum! Gollum!" at his reflection. I don't know how he got onto the set or why they left him in the film, but no. Not him.

And so Gollum found them hours later, when he returned, crawling and creeping down the path out of the gloom ahead. Sam sat propped against the stone, his head dropping sideways and his breathing heavy. In his lap lay Frodo's head, drowned deep in sleep; upon his white forehead lay one of Sam's hands, and the other lay softly upon his master's breast. Peace was in both their faces. Gollum looked at them. A strange expression passed over his lean hungry face. The gleam faded from his eyes, and they went dim and grey, old and tired. A spasm of pain seemed to twist him, and he turned away, peering back up towards the pass, shaking his head, as if engaged in some interior debate. Then he came back, and slowly putting out a trembling hand, very cautiously he touched Frodo's knee - but almost the touch was a caress. For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have thought that that they beheld an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the fields and streams of youth, an old starved pitiable thing.

Read the book. Him.

I think my favourite type of villain is the one who's only a villain because you're seeing the story from a particular point of view. If we can have anti-heroes, maybe I'm talking about an anti-villain.

Blackdoom

Sep 11, 2008
My favourite villains are ones that are actually heroes but know that they have to be the villain for the greater good and that nobody else will ever know the truth. For instance The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3 or Lelouch in season 2 of Code Geass.

Nazulu said:
The crazy powerful type that does horrifying things and has techniques that can intimidate even the hero, basically the worst case scenario. I like ém because when they finally get their cummuffins it is really satisfying.

Like these pricks:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3900000/Carnage-spider-man-3979267-1024-768.jpg

http://images.saiyanisland.com/data/529/Orochimaru.jpg

http://www.sinopenn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/general_grievous.jpg
When ever I talk to people about Star Wars they never believe me when I tell them that Grievous is awesome. As most of them have only seen the movies or the second animated clone wars show.