Your Favorite Vocalist

TheSear

Oct 3, 2008
For me it is Marina Lambrini Diamandis (Marina and the Diamonds), simply because I love the way her voice sounds, and she has a brilliant range :)

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Matthew Bellamy.

He's a very polarising singer - many can't stand him - but I for one love him. The amount of emotion he puts into every syllable makes it sound like he really, really means it.

<youtube=uLpNvwYgdn8>
You might like Jeff Buckley, then.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
For shame at the lack of mention for Chris Cornell, Eddie Veder and Steven Tyler... Some of the greatest American Rock vocalists of all time.

I'd mention Robert Plant in the same sentence to but he's English obviously.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
Matt Bellamy of Muse
Dave Grohl of The Foo Fighters
Ben Kowalewicz of Billy Talent
Brad Delp of Boston (had great vocal range)

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
piinyouri said:
Russel Allen
Geoff Tate
Devin Townsend
Daroh Sudderth
Kristoffer Rygg
Joanna Newsom
Matt Barlow
John Kevil
Kenn Nardi
Eric Adams
Scott "Wino" Weinrich
Joel Grind
Mike Scalzi
Mike Baker
John Oliva
"Big Boss" Jirí Walter
Paul McKenzie
Joel Dubay
SnootyEnglishman said:
Dani Filth- Cradle of Filth
Freddie Mercury- Queen
David Draiman- Disturbed
Tarja Turunen- Nightwish
Voltaire
Robert Plant- Led Zeppelin
Ozzy Osbourne- Black Sabbath
"Weird Al" Yankovic
Sarah Brightman
Tim Curry in Rocky Horror Picture Show (that's right he can sing)

and more that i can't think of at the moment.
<youtube=gzB6MMjX7uA>

Two great tastes that go great together.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Keith Buckely of Every Time I Die

This man is my idol.
He used to be an English teacher (which I am).
He is a lyrical genius, writing compelling and thought-provoking lyrics to a stupidly jaw-dropping degree of awesomeness.
His screaming and singing are both equally beautiful.
And he is incredibly witty and hilarious.

Have a song...

EDIT:

TheRookie8 said:
If it's okay with everyone, I'll stick to some of my favorite male vocalists in rock music.

10.Brian Fallon (Gaslight Anthem)
Although I don't like most of the bands you mentioned, big up massive respect, yo, for Brian Fallon. The man took everything that was great about Strummer and Springsteen, combined it, added his own flavour to it and created something magical. What a brilliant, inspiring man.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
I have a bunch of favorites (Freddie Mercury!), but I'm only going to post one because she's less well-known: Mari Boine, a Norwegian/Sami singer. She has this amazingly earthy-sounding voice that I just love.

Aug 25, 2009
Paul Rogers of Free

Steve Tyler of Aerosmith

Freddy Mercury of Queen

David Bowie of David Bowie

George Michael of Wham.

I know that last one is a bit left field but actually listen to his voice, it is incredible. Find a video of him singing with Queen after Mercury's death, seriously.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
TheOneBearded said:
Ronnie James Dio - The King of Metal
He is a god among men. Even at 60 years of age, this guy could beat anyone in a singing contest. The only person that could come close to him is Freddie Mercury.
Eric Adams tops my list, with Dio as a close second. Eric's voice, in my opinion, combines the best of Dio, Freddy Mercury and Ian Gillian.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
This is difficult
Cleans:

Jeff Buckley
Brain Fallon

(Those two songs are just perfect)

Screams:
Gonna have to be one of these but I'm probably still forgetting some.
These are really love or hate ones, especially the last one. Screamo style screams often take a while to get into, even for people already into metal and hardcore.

David Michael Marion
Jacob Bannon
Don't actually know the guy's name but the band's called State Faults, used to be called Brother Bear

Rapping:

Zack de la Rocha
Del the Funky Homosapien
Probably Zack de la Rocha actually

If you were to ask me on another day I'd probably say something different though.
Really indecisive

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Grant Nicholas of Feeder, Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins, Roger Daltrey of The Who can't believe he hasn't been mentioned yet the man is a vocal god Thor like power.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Dave Mustaine of Megadeth. The man sounds like a viking with a sore throat and it's AWESOME!

Another favorite of mine is Adam Turla from Murder by Death. He sounds amazingly similar to Johnny Cash is some of their songs which is never a bad thing.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Nobody has mentioned Roy Khan of Kamelot yet? I am dissapoint, Escapist. My favourite female vocalist would have to be Simone Simons of Epica, with an honourable mention to Lzzy Hale.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
[/quote]
Although I don't like most of the bands you mentioned, big up massive respect, yo, for Brian Fallon. The man took everything that was great about Strummer and Springsteen, combined it, added his own flavour to it and created something magical. What a brilliant, inspiring man.[/quote]

I had stumbled upon them on their "Old White Lincoln", "59' Sound" and "American Slang" albums. They came from punk roots, so it was a blessing I found them. If you like them, give Nothington (band) a shot. Particularly their songs, "Where I Stand" and "Don't have to Wait". Or perhaps "Chris Wollard and the Ship Thieves". They have a country twang, but they do good. So does Milton Mapes in their cover of "Lonesome Town".

Sorry bout the text. This thread rocks.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Well Matt Bellamy of Muse, Jeff Buckley, Laura Marling and Alexander Ebert of Edward Sharpe are all awesome and pretty unique, while Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance deserves special mention due to the effort that you can hear, buuuuuuut my favourite vocalist has to be.....

Paul Westerberg of the Replacements. The dude just puts everything he has into some of his songs, screaming into his mic, it's beautiful.
Though at no point is it more clear than in one particular song:

This song is just painful to listen to. It's beautiful and so heartfelt, it sounds like he's dying as he's bloody well singing it.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Axl Rose.

In addition to his unique raspy voice (which I can understand how some people don't like), he is the only performer that puts as much emotion into his performance. He'd the only singer who coveys exactly how he feels through his performance.