Your favourite obscure band?

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
thelaughingman said:
My all time favorite band is a post punk/noise group called Big Black. They had a pretty big cult following in the mid-late 80s but whenever I bring up the name everyone thinks I'm talking about Rob Dyrdek's bodyguard (hate that guy). Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who's heard of these guys.
"Rex keeps the speed / In a little glass jar"

OT: Demolition Hammer. An underrated thrash/groove metal band from the Bronx. They only lasted for eight years but put out some great tracks.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Well most power metal bands other than the Taco Bell of power metal (dragonforce) are obscure, so I'd say most of that genre.

I've been looking for different good music since I was 14, my ipod is full of stuff nobody has ever heard of but most people would probably like if they did.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Wall of text incoming. Good stuff though. I hope everyone I quoted gets a notice.

mazzjammin22 said:
A band called Grizzly Bear. They have only one song I know, but I love it to pieces. It's the most listened to song on my iPod.

I'm gonna be honest. I have a whole album of theirs here. Send me a pm and I'll shoot you a few songs. If you like it, go buy something from them. You might also like beach house. They collab sometimes in fact.

Queen Michael said:
Deerhoof.
PANDA PANDA PANDA! At a concert I heard a song of theirs you will never hear. Basically the band realized it was too weird for even their fans. It went something like "He ain't got no, he got no personality!" over and over. Then they were like "okay..." *looking at the crowd* "maybe that one is a little too weird".

Instinct Blues said:
Beach House is the band I'm gonna go with for this topic. I mean they make it on to some best of lists, but overall whenever I bring them up in conversation no one else knows who the hell I'm talking about. Which is really frustrating considering they manage to make the world's most beautiful music with a drum machine, casio keyboard, and guitar. Don't believe me just listen to some of their songs.

They are the best man. Well I know a lot of obscure bands and they top the list for my recommendation. Victoria's pipes are perfection. I recommend you listen to silver soul right before norway cause it leads right into it. and Zebra, is a beautiful track as well.

Jeeze man I don't even know who else I'd recommend. There's so many. I mean I even know bands that have obscure in their names. (Camera Obscura for instance) Off the top of my head though if you liked "Pretty Girls Make Graves" then I present you with "The Joy Formidable":

necromanzer52 said:
I don't really know any obscure bands. Unless...Are the smiths considered obscure?
Fairly obscure. But Morrisey is something of a legend. Doesn't matter, your taste is good. If you liked "The Smiths" I present you with, "The Dears".

Finally, I can't say enough good things about The Fiery Furnaces. They are not for everyone, but they are for me. I don't know if Metric or the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are obscure enough anymore to count towards such a list.

Purple Shrimp

Oct 7, 2008
in addition to what I said before:

Argent
Blue Cheer
Booker T & the MGs
Can
Caravan
Clouds
Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Derek and the Dominos (obscure?)
Family
The Left Banke
Moby Grape
The Monks
The Nice
The Pretty Things
The Sonics
Spirit
The United States of America
Vanilla Fudge
The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

KuwaSanjuro said:
There an old band from the 60's and being 18 I obviously would never get a chance to see them but 13th Floor Elevators. Great band.
nice, I love the Elevators

thelaughingman said:
My all time favorite band is a post punk/noise group called Big Black. They had a pretty big cult following in the mid-late 80s but whenever I bring up the name everyone thinks I'm talking about Rob Dyrdek's bodyguard (hate that guy). Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who's heard of these guys.

Some other good ones are Mission of Burma, Killing Joke, Rapeman, The Mad Capsule Markets, D.N.A, Contortions, Mars, Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, 8-Eyed Spy, Suicide,Joy Division, and i know they don't really count as obscure anymore but Sonic Youth.
and I also love Big Black! although I wouldn't say joy division was obscure

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
I've heard of quite a few of these that were posted, but it's just because I and a couple of friends go out of our way to find the obscure. Some mentioned have even just been flat out played to death here in Oregon (I'm not reading all 5 pages of posts again to find out who). No one I'm listing is 'Obscure' but I'm going to say highly underplayed and underrated.

The Canadian punk band Billy Talent. I've met ONE person here who even knew who they were.

Emily Loizeau, fantastic folk rock French singer.

I imagine they're more popular worldwide than here in the states, but I'll throw the British band The Kaiser Chiefs out here for consideration. They seem to get absolutely no airplay whatsoever here.

The French band AIR. Another loss on the American listeners.

Nuno (Bettencourt; better known for being the lead guitarist of the band Extreme). He only put out one CD under his name ('Schizophonic') but it's one hell of a listen. Look up the fanvid of the song 'Severed' on YouTube.

Portland, Oregon-based Pink Martini. A rather interesting group if you're into swing/jazz style music.

Also, anyone who is interested in an actual 'good' radio station, please go to this link and go to the 'Listen Live Webcast' part of the post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRXF

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Ghengis John said:
necromanzer52 said:
I don't really know any obscure bands. Unless...Are the smiths considered obscure?
Fairly obscure. But Morrisey is something of a legend. Doesn't matter, your taste is good. If you liked "The Smiths" I present you with, "The Dears".

Thanks for replying. I'll be sure to look up some more of their songs.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
not sure if they are obscure or its just i dont know much about them but id have to say its perfect circle

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Illesdan said:
The French band AIR. Another loss on the American listeners.
The only band you mentioned that I knew besides the Kaiser Chiefs. But I like Air so I'll second your recommendation.

theginger

Nov 18, 2009
MrShowerHead said:
Van Canto

I loved their cover of the Bards Song, but I think that the way they imitate rythm guitar can sound a little.....well, silly at times.

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
Les Rallizes Denudes are one of my favourite bands. Japanese psychedelic noise rock act who have been on and off since the 60s, here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1eMrFFAPKw

There's a reason a lot of people don't listen to them, I suppose. I absolutely adore them, though.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
No idea how famous/popular Elbow is, but I only know one other person who knows them so...

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Big hair band androgynous group from the 70's (if I recall correctly, they appear in an old Jodie Foster movie, "Foxes") called Angel. They had a least two really singable toons. Can't even find mention of them on wikipedia.