Your first console?

Kecunk

Feb 8, 2011
All this hub bub about these new console got me thinking of all the consoles I've owned over the years.

then I realized that I may be part of the last group of people that can claim legit nostalgia for the NES.

see I was born the year that the SNES was released but because my family wasn't the most well off financially I was always a console generation behind growing up so I grew up playing the original Nintendo ( I didn't get a SNES until after the N64 was released and it was only when I reached my teens and was able to earn my own money that I caught up to current gen)

Even though it was already outdated at that point the NES seemed so wonderful to me at that point because to me it was still new since I had nothing else to compare it too.

So I want to know the story of your first console who here got to experience that same felling of wonder and newness I had for the NES and who only got to experience its glory in retrospect as a part of gaming history.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
My very first console was the original Playstation. I guess technically it would be the NES since my dad told me I used to play Duck Hunt on the NES when I was really little, but my earliest gaming memories involved playing Crash Bandicoot 2. Running across a forest, jumping on penguins and seals, and dying to that damned snowball over and over again. Never could get past that stage until I downloaded the game a couple years ago and blew through the entire game within an afternoon. (barring most of the gems that is)

But yeah, most of the games that got me into gaming were from the PS1. Spyro the Dragon was the first game I've ever beaten as a kid, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee introduced me to beautifully animated FMV sequences and the idea of slavery and evil corporations, Klonoa was a damned fun game in itself, ect. And several years later, through the PSN store, I was introduced to one of my most favorite JRPG's: Final Fantasy IX.

The PS2 even had my most favorite game of all time: Shadow of the Colossus.

To this day, I've always had a bit of an attachment to the Playstation brand. It feels like as I grew up, the console series sorta grew with me too. The PS1 when I was in my single digit years, the PS2 when I was about to enter my teens, the PS3 during the high school and college years, and now the PS4 will be around during my years adjusting to life as an adult.

As of now, I don't agree with some of the things Sony is doing with the PS4, but I'll probably buy one anyway once it's cheaper and there are more games for it that I want to play.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
My first console was a PS2 and my first game I ever put into it was Tak: The power of JuJu. I had it for about 2 years until a wire burned out because of me overplaying it.

My mother in her best moment of kindness went out and bought me a PS2 slim, two-hundred dollars, right after my system broke. I sold the parts from the old one and ended up buying my first Call of Duty game, Finest Hour. I had an xbox too for a while, but I always liked the PS2 more.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Elfgore said:
My first console was a PS2 and my first game I ever put into it was Tak: The power of JuJu. I had it for about 2 years until a wire burned out because of me overplaying it.
Oh man, I've completely forgotten about Tak: The Power of JuJu. That was a fun game.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
The first game that I played was Pong, but I have no idea what the name of the console was. Next was Atari 2600. I had friends that owned Colecovision and also the Commodore 64.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
gamernerdtg2 said:
The first game that I played was Pong, but I have no idea what the name of the console was. Next was Atari 2600. I had friends that owned Colecovision and also the Commodore 64.
I started with pong too, Coleco made one of the first Pong home games, I think Atari had one too, probably the first, but I am not sure. I played the Telstar, made by Coleco.

I started with the Atari 2600 as well then the Colecovision, and Commodore 64. First PC I remember playing though was the Vic20 at a friends place, loading games by fast forwarding and rewinding a tape to a certain point on the counter.

You might also enjoy the nostalgia of this:

http://jsmess.textfiles.com/

Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800, Colecovision, Intellivision and the Odyssey 2 emulated in a browser.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
Strelok said:
gamernerdtg2 said:
I started with pong too, Coleco made one of the first Pong home games, I think Atari had one too, probably the first, but I am not sure. I played the Telstar, made by Coleco.

I started with the Atari 2600 as well then the Colecovision, and Commodore 64. First PC I remember playing though was the Vic20 at a friends place, loading games by fast forwarding and rewinding a tape to a certain point on the counter.

You might also enjoy the nostalgia of this:

http://jsmess.textfiles.com/

Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800, Colecovision, Intellivision and the Odyssey 2 emulated in a browser.
You know, I seem to remember there being a controller that was separate from the actual console...it's so bizzare that I didn't pay attention to the console at all... I was really young!
As for the older versions of the Atari - 5200 and 7800, I never got into those, but I wanted them for sure.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
gamernerdtg2 said:
You know, I seem to remember there being a controller that was separate from the actual console...it's so bizzare that I didn't pay attention to the console at all... I was really young!
As for the older versions of the Atari - 5200 and 7800, I never got into those, but I wanted them for sure.
Could have been the Magnavox Odyssey.

The Atari didn't have detachable wired controllers as far as I know.

We skipped the Atari 5200 as well, and by the time the 7800 came out the 1983 crash had already started or was about too. I remember seeing the 7800 version of Gremlins though, looked so great, I remember standing wide eyed at the electronics counter of either a K-Mart or a Sentry department store here in Canada seeing it demo. Then consoles just disappeared and I moved on to the Commodore 64 and a long run of PC gaming. Fun to talk about some of this again, I work in IT, with mainly 90s kids and they just stare at me blankly when I mention a Colecovision or an Atari 2600. lol

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Mine was a launch SNES. Good times, good times. I was barely 3, so I wish I was able to appreciate and play it more when I got it, though, instead longing for it years later after most of the cables and the controllers were missing. I used that lesson to take good care and play the hell out of any handheld/console I've had since.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
My first console was the good ol' Sega Genesis.

Despite having already played and enjoyed the NES and SNES, once I played Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I knew I had to have the console.

Sureenough, that Christmas I got a Sega Genesis of my own with Sonic & Knuckles.

nyankaty

Nov 4, 2013
The first one I really remember playing was the old Atari. We had every single console pretty much but I remember quite a few hours in front of the Atari, then I remember many an hour playing Duck Hunt on the NES. However, the first console I really loved was either the Sega Genesis (SONIC!) or SNES (LoZ: LttP and Earthbound). The first that really cemented my undying love of games, however, had to have been the Playstation. I remember watching my brother play Parasite Eve and Resident Evil and then I took up my own love of Silent Hill and Final Fantasy 7 and 8. I guess I'd have to say my most beloved would be SNES though for being the medium of my favorite game ever, Earthbound.

I am good at rambling on about a topic which should have a straightforward, short answer...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Ah, that would be the venerable NES. Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt were the only games I had for it for about a year, so I played those religiously. So many days. To this day, I can still play level 1-1 just from muscle memory without really needing to look at the screen.

daveNYC

Nov 25, 2013
First console I owned was the PS1. Nice enough, but I'm one of those who hates the PS controller.
First console I owned and really liked was the X-Box. KOTOR, Jade Empire, etc. And my mitts love the controller.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
The first console that was actually mine was the GameCube, I saved up for more than a year to afford it and I really enjoyed it for so many games. The first console we has in my house was the NES and I've spent so many hours with that thing. We didn't really have that many games for it, but that didn't matter. We then made the step to SNES which was when I had started to learn enough about money to save up for the games I wanted and I really got into a wider variety of games. The SNES has been the console that had the biggest impact on me despite the NES being the first.

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
My first console was the good old NES, and my first game was the excellent Super Mario Bros 3. :D Such good memories of playing it with my Grandpa.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
Some kind of Atari 2600 knockoff, had like 100 built in games. The NES was already out at that point, but I only got a knockoff version of that(Terminator 2) arount the time the SNES was at its end and the PS1 was coming out.
Then I pretty much missed the whole SNES generation, got a PS1 around 1998 and trying to keep up with the newest systems and game ever since. D:

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Why are we excluding handhelds from this thread? My old Gameboy Color gave me countless hours of fun. Games like Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Pokemon Gold, Spiderman etc were my first video games and 6 year old me absolutely loved them.

The first console I owned was the classic fat PlayStation 2. Man did I ever love that machine. The first two games I owned for it were Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex and some Army Man game. That machine had easily the best library out of any console that came before it. Games like the Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Shadow of the Colossus, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, Timesplitters etc were amazing and I played the fuck out of them.

One of the biggest regrets of my life is trading in my old PS2 and my games to get an Xbox 360. Stupid, stupid young Drummodino wanted a next gen console but couldn't pony up $1000 for a PS3. I was at the age where I wanted to play "serious" games, I thought myself too mature for titles like Ratchet & Clank.

The thing was, all of my friends eventually got PS3s and I couldn't play with them. Eventually I sold my 360 for about a quarter of what I initially paid for it, and got a cheap PS3 from a friend who got it with a TV bundle.

I miss my reliable old PS2. So many good memories with that thing.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
One of those Super Coms which were basically fake SNES consoles with integrated NES games like Super Mario Bros, Wild Gunman, Duck Hunt, Battle City and occassionaly Contra and Road Fighter. Shortly after that I got PS1

Nuclear_Suspect

Jun 1, 2010
Started with an Atari (And yes, I did actually have ET!) then a C64 but the games never really apealed to me for some reason, then the Amiga500 which was mindmeltingly fun (Moonstone on 4 discs.. And 'Loom' was amazing too) then it all went the PC way starting with a 586 and just going on from there.