Your first console?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Sega Megadrive. They were the days, playing Aladdin on that thing. I remember the Megadrive getting a bit of press because it was the first 16 bit console.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Another old person here so my first console was an Atari 2600. We got it on Xmas. The next day we awoke with lots of expectations for a day filled with video game playing. What we got was a note saying that our parents had played the console for so long while we slept that the powersupply crapped itself and needed to be replaced. We were not happy. Still, I played the crap out of that thing until it got replaced by the NES.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The original PlayStation would be mine. Used to play Crash Bandicoot 'till my fingers fell off.

The first console I ever played on, however, was the original Xbox. A friend of mine owned one so I played through that.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
If we're counting handheld consoles my first was a Sega Game Gear. If not, XBox original (After buying a Game Boy Color with Pokemon Yellow with my own money). Not for wanting, mind you, I loved videogames for ages, but my parents didn't want me easily distracted and drowning into videogames and away from school or anything like that. Hell the XBox was technically my uncle's, but since he almost never played it it found its way to my house and became mine.

That said, I was kinda raised on PC, as even before those consoles I ended up finding my way to my uncle's house to play games on his PC, and eventually some games on my family's PC once we got it. TIE Fighter, Chip's Challenge, Rebel Assault, and some Formula One racing game are the main games I remember playing all the time back then...

Rogue Ranger

Nov 24, 2013
My first was the PS2, and among the games were Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies and Star Wars Battlefront II without knowing that they were some of the best games of the time. Nostalgia is setting in. On the down side, I forgot to get Warriors Gundam.

When I get the PS4, I hope for the DICE Battlefront game. I remember the second for its awesome campaign and its solid gameplay, but I questioned the AI.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
First console I got was a PS1, on the Christmas of '98.
It was a good Christmas.

First game I got for it was Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, which is still a favourite of mine today.

Sometime before that we had another console no-one can seem to remember the name of, but it wasn't mine and I was too young to remember anything about it so it doesn't really count. I think it was either a Master System or a CD32 though.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I feel really young, but my first console was the original Playstation and Spyro the Dragon was my first game. That and Crash. But the first console I played before I owned one was Playstation, my uncles owned it (my parents house was literally two minutes away and my uncles babysat me) and I learned Twisted Metal and Grand Theft Auto from them.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Blunderboy said:
Commodore 64 bitches.

[...]
Did the cassette tape drive on C64 predate the giant floppies? Giant floppies that could be made "dual density" using a hole puncher, heh. Or was that not possible on the C64?

Ages ago.

I'm not sure if that's technically a console, but then again, did anybody make anything for it other than games?

You're right though, the C64 was bad ass. My friend had one along with Starflight (I think it was for C64), Aliens (quite possibly the best movie game even to this day), Mail Order Monsters, and others. Someone else had a copy of V8, which was an exercise in masochism. And even before that we played Zyll, a text adventure game on the IBM PC Jr. Zyll could have two players, split screen. Jesus, games were so ambitious back then.

For myself, I first bought a Sega Genesis and a copy of Flashback. That was a lucky first purchase for me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
My first console ever was a hand-me-down Odyssey II from Magnavox. I had a computer system not long after, but I don't remember what kind.

My first console of my own was the NES. It was mine, though I had to share it with my brother.

First I bought like, with my own cash was a Sega Genesis. I'd had an SNES for a couple years, but it was a birthday or Christmas gift.

I don't think I appreciated a console more than the NES, though. Well, maybe the Playstation. That was the first new console I'd owned at launch and paid for myself. That was pretty sweet.

Err...I think I'm rambling.

Chaosritter said:
The first "console" I ever played with was the Commodore 64 mk II of my big sister. That was 21 years ago.

My first own console was the SNES, that was 17 years ago.

God, I feel old now...
Oh, please. You're in your twenties. I should be yelling at you to get off my lawn!

...But I am a kindly old person, so I will simply shake my cane at you.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
My first was the sega master system, it came with 3 games, superhang on (a bike racing game), sonic 2 (not the megadrive version, master system sonic 2 is an entirely different game) and in the line of fire (topdown scrolling shooter), whose music is still seared into my head.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I had a Sega Genesis for the longest time, that's where part of my love for Sonic comes from. I forget exactly what happened to that, but I do remember that something happened which prompted my mom to get me a replacement: the Genesis 3 [http://www.jwnyc.com/games/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/genesis301.jpg], replete with 6-button controller. Good times.

And then I got a NINTENDO 64!!! [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU] with Pokemon Snap and a totally unrelated Will Smith album one Christmas. That was by far the best Christmas I've had yet.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
My first console was a Super Nintendo. My favorite games for it were Turtles in Time and Super Mario RPG (Which is STILL the best Mario RPG).

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Blunderboy said:
Commodore 64 bitches.

Behold it's majesty.

The games came on cassette tape.
That's how ancient I am. :p[/img]

But we had such amazing games.
AHH 15 minutes to load boulder-dash, and obviously everyone tried to play the games to see if the 'music' ( cat in a tin can ) would run.. ( it didn't, in my experience ) a free programming manual and wiring diagram in the back of the owner's manual those were the days, of-course I rarely have to take a soldering iron to my cpu anymore... LOL!

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
My first was the NES. I fondly remember those days, but that fucking dog still haunts my dreams. I will kill you one day for your transgressions!