Your First Gaming Experience

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I was in an Esso with my dad, he was getting the care touched up. I was 4 and in the garage right beside the car they had a compute set up on a stand and as the mechanics were talking and such they were playing a computer game while they were waiting. Of course they let the kid get in on some of the action.
This game was Wolfenstein 3-D and that was my first gaming experience. I freaking loved that game.
Second experience, Donkey Kong Country I was defiantly 5 there.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
The one first gaming experience? I don't know. Pac-Man Space Invaders, probably. Something on the Atari 2600. Boulderdash. Or that hand-held LCD thing in Table-Arcade design I had. I might have been a late adopter, so...

What ultimately got me hooked in a way that I hang around here at an age that you can guess from my games listed...

Giana Sisters. Mario Who?

Shadow of the Beast

Wings (which I hear has a remake Kickstarter'd)

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
It was either this

I remember finding a way to home-run most of the time but this game was boring so I ended up always misplacing it. Also, I hated how I always had to start with pitching.
Or this

See, it's the special one with mario world included. Only the best for my rich blood you commoners.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
First experience:

The stuff that made me gamer:

PS Both screenshots are from Google Image search - I was too lazy to launch Supaplex and TOT to make my own )

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Occams_Razor said:
Everyone has that moment they can remember of some of their first gaming experiences.
Nope, I can't. I had to say the first game I played to answer my register for my game course and I got stuck. I just answered Super Mario World, since it was my first game I got on the GBA.
Occams_Razor said:
I was lucky in that I had older siblings, so my house already had a NES with a fairly extensive library at the time that I gained awareness of such things.
And this is the reason. I had an older brother so rarely had to actually get my own games until later, and would even watch my brother play quite a lot even after getting into it, so as a result I am unaware of the first game I played.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Really hard to remember my first specifically, my best guess is the old Asteroids cabinet. I distinctly remember games like Dig Dug, Joust, and Pac-Man. Atari 2600 didn't exist at that time, but when those came out you can bet I was on it almost nonstop.

Come to think of it I sort of feel bad for the youngsters these days. They will never know the magic of walking into an arcade and just being surrounded by the kinds of things you couldn't get at home. It was a video game Disneyland at every mall, and the games in those days were just so much more thrilling than you could get anyplace else. Sort of made things more special than it is now, at least for me.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
My first gaming experience was with Myst on my parents old Mac computer. I remember my parents in the computer room at our old house, showing something off to my grandparents, talking about how cool it was. I walk in, being the curious little kid that I was, and what did I see? The picture of a strange island on the screen, that my parents appeared to be clicking on to move around. I was fascinated by this, and eventually got my parents to play the game for me as I watched. I ended up being enamored with the game and it's sequel, falling in love with the series. My parents would use letting me watch them play the game as a reward for acting good, I loved it so much. It really explains a lot about my taste in games and why I love them, I have found. :p

Snatcher

Oct 28, 2012
Pokemon Crystal on my Game Boy Advance some time before the next generation was released.
Still my favourite pokemon game to date.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
I am disturbed by the number of people citing Ultima: Exodus and Ultima: Quest of the Avatar as games that "made them a gamer" (okay, the number's only two so far, but that's two too many by my count, made worse by the fact that they're both within the first ten or so posts). Those two games completely turned me off of RPGs for the longest time. No clues given as what to do, encounters that scaled by level and made it undesirable to level up. First-person dungeons -- I've never liked first-person, and this was far from its best implementation -- which almost required map-making, which I sucked at since I was like ten years old. A terrible interface in almost every form, and the one time in Exodus I actually found some sort of fire-forge thing in a dungeon that seemed like it might actually threaten some sort of progress, I branded one of my characters with it and he promptly died as a result, leaving me dead in the dungeon with no progress to show for it. I never did find that fire-alter, again, either.

If it weren't for two games which convinced me that RPGs in and of themselves weren't terrible, I probably wouldn't play the genre at all today, which would be a shame since it's probably my favorite. The first game was The Magic of Scherazade, a neat Zelda-like game with the occasional RPG-style battle during screen transitions, and the second was Dragon Warrior III, which had great box art and sounded cool on the back. Only the fact that it was an RPG kept me from trying it for a couple years, and then I only tried it because I had tried most of the other interesting titles in the store and the former game had convinced me that an RPG-style battle system did not suck by its very nature. A friend and I fell in love with the game, and we eventually beat it over the course of about a half-dozen rentals. I've liked RPGs ever since, though I suppose technically it was Final Fantasy II/IV that really started my love affair with the genre.

Technically, though, my first-ever video game experience (outside of maybe a coin-op game at a pizza parlor) was Contra, which the neighbor kids owned and which I borrowed and played the heck out of when I finally got my own NES. I got pretty good at it, too. I could make it to level five on three lives, and level seven on all three continues. No Konami code required.

Actually, I stand corrected. My first ever video game experience was on the TI (Texas Instruments) something-or-other. I just called it the TI, and it had a bunch of cool games. Parsec (a space shoot-em-up) was the best, but Blasto (a tank battle game) and A-maze-ing (a game where you're the mouse and have to run a maze while dodging the cats) were also pretty cool.

If anyone knows what that last system I mentioned was, let me know, will you? I know the Escapist community frowns on emulation, but I really hope someone's preserved a digital copy of those games somewhere. They were too good to consign to the digital garbage heap in the sky.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
First console game

First PC game

Apple 2e stylee

I think what got me into the hobby was the original TLoZ and Metroid. Before those, I had no idea what I was doing in them - all I knew is that the adults were kicking it's ass, and it was kicking mine. Oh, how the tables have turned.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
I beleive the first game I ever played was TLoZ:A Link to the Past...and I absolutely despised it as a child. I was very young and couldn't read, so I had no way of knowing what to do. I ran around for hours [sub]or was it minutes?[/sub] after saving Zelda, killing monsters and wondering what I was supposed to be doing.
Thankfully, I had Super Mario World. That game was loads more fun at the time.

Captcha: Oh, wait
[sub][sub]What is it, Captcha? Did I make a mistake? Was LoZ not my first game? Oh, man, this is going to drive me crazy...[/sub][/sub]

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
I beleive the first game I ever played was TLoZ:A Link to the Past...and I absolutely despised it as a child. I was very young and couldn't read, so I had no way of knowing what to do. I ran around for hours [sub]or was it minutes?[/sub] after saving Zelda, killing monsters and wondering what I was supposed to be doing.
Thankfully, I had Super Mario World. That game was loads more fun at the time.

Captcha: Oh, wait
[sub][sub]What is it, Captcha? Did I make a mistake? Was LoZ not my first game? Oh, man, this is going to drive me crazy...[/sub][/sub]

JohnReaper

Jun 8, 2009

Do I really need to talk about this game? its one of the best RPGS I ever played, the game was solid and really pushed some limits.

The story is a simple one though, your brother was a shadowrunner ((Think Hired Criminals)) and his last mission got him killed in an ambush, it was obviously staged and you need to find out who did it, why, and what exactly his last mission was.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Captain Comic, an old DOS game from 1988... I remember thinking those graphics were beautiful.

Look at dem sexy pixels! I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I'm pretty sure that this game's tech support was the creators home phone number on the front screen :D

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
My first gaming experiance was playing a demo of Crash Bandicoot on the brand new PSX. The console came with the disc on the top left:

I also consider my first gaming moment to be when I got a gameboy color and Pokemon Blue. I remember getting caught in a Metapod VS. Metapod battle and having to reset.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
According to my dad, the first game I ever played was Duck Hunt for the NES. It shared a cartridge with Super Mario Bros.

Of course, the first gaming experience I remember is Crash Bandicoot 2 for the PS1. I remember repeating the first five levels over and over because I didn't understand the concept of a memory card or how to save my game so I didn't have to repeat everything I did over and over again. I never could get past the snowball level without help though.

Later on, I played games like Spyro the Dragon, (first game I've ever beaten) Oddworld, Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Klonoa, Pokemon, ect.

And now here I am 15 years later, and I'm currently on my fifth playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas.