Your First Gaming Experience

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Hmmmm.......it would either be Asteroids or Space Invaders. Not sure which as it was a long time ago.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Sega Master System for christmas, Sonic 1 built in. My mum tried playing it first. She didn't get very far. In fact she couldn't even figure out how to jump despite the fact there was only a d-pad and 2 buttons, both of which were jump.

Iyon

Recovering Lurker
May 16, 2012
That would be

I wish my NES still worked. I could really go for some Duck Hunt right now...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sure what my absolute first was, but one of the earliest I can remember was Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

I also remember playing Fighting Golf on the NES and getting a kick out of how you could see 8-bit panties whenever you played as the girl golfer and your ball landed in a pond or out of bounds. Hey, I was like 8.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I played some driving game on my neighbor's N64, later that day I bought it from him for $30.
The next day I went down to the local Funcoland (Remember that fucking place? Cause I do.) and bought Super Smash Brothers and Jet Force Gemini and played those 2 games until I bought a PS2 in 2003.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
The first game I had was a NES with a bundle cartridge containing Super Mario Bros., Nintendo World Cup and Tetris. I had SOO much fun with that, especially Nintendo World Cup (funny, because I'm not a huge FIFA fan today), versus in that game was awesome after I learned the backflip kick, which was a guaranteed goal (if you hit the keeper he was thrown into the net with the ball).

But the first game that sparked my love for gaming was probably Clay Mates for the SNES, which was sooo good, my cousin had it, and we would play for hours.

And of course, when I got an N64 for my birthday in 1996 (or 97, can't remember) along with Super Mario 64, and Mario Kart 64 for christmas that year, I was in love. Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 are even guilty pleasures for my mom, who has my 64 at the moment, which I think is great. Fun for the whole family indeed!

Slip05

Oct 17, 2008
For me it was when I was little. My brother came down with a bad case of the chicken pox and was laid up in bed, my Mom decided to buy the somewhat new Nintendo Entertainment System (1990ish). He ended up laid up in bed but since I felt great I just sat down and started to play the system constantly. The games I remember playing were:

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt

Willow

Xevious

Not only did I become addicted for the get go but I didn't even catch the chicken pox that year even though I spent like a week next to someone with it

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Iyon said:
That would be

You know what? Me too. I wish Nintendo would put that on Virtual Console and make it compatable with the Wii Remote.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
It was between Sonic The Hedgehog, The Revenge of Shinobi, and Streets of Rage. My first console was a Sega Genesis. I did have an Intellivision II and Sega Master System with a ton of games but i don't remember if i played that after or before.

Occams_Razor

Not as new as you may think...
Oct 20, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
Iyon said:
That would be

You know what? Me too. I wish Nintendo would put that on Virtual Console and make it compatable with the Wii Remote.
I don't understand why that hasn't happened yet! Seems like the most logical jump for the Wii control scheme...Duck Hunt with a Wii Zapper? Uhh....yes!

But that game was part of my childhood as well, and entrenched that dog as one of my all time mortal enemies...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Occams_Razor said:
canadamus_prime said:
Iyon said:
That would be

I don't understand why that hasn't happened yet! Seems like the most logical jump for the Wii control scheme...Duck Hunt with a Wii Zapper? Uhh....yes!

But that game was part of my childhood as well, and entrenched that dog as one of my all time mortal enemies...
Yeah, get on that Nintendo! Never mind all the obscure games that nobody's heard of. Give us Duck Hunt.

And while were talking about early gaming experiences, can anyone remember what that game was that was always on the Turbo Grafix 16 store displays? You know, the platformer with the deadly red glowing plant-things.

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
My first gaming experience was watching my dad play Max Payne when it first came out when I was 7-ish. The game that made me a gamer was probably GTA: Vice City.

Gomi500

Feb 21, 2011
Final Fantasy VII when i was super young. I think when it first came out. Because I was stupid back then, I didnt read the text during the boss battle with the robot scorpion(like 10 mins into the game) where it told you to rest and heal. I never beat it and it kept killing me. So I shelved for 5 years. After 5 years i pop it back in THEN read the text. Been hooked on RPGS and games ever since.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
It's a toss up between the very first Super Mario Brothers on my (still functional) NES, and DOOM on a very old PC.

Both brilliant and fun games to this day, might I add.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
i honestly can't tell you, as i was too young (4, maybe younger), but i know it was an Atari 2600, and guessing it could have been breakout, space invaders, pac-man, or millipede (maybe combat...). i was already hooked by the time we got an NES, and continued from there.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
And while were talking about early gaming experiences, can anyone remember what that game was that was always on the Turbo Grafix 16 store displays? You know, the platformer with the deadly red glowing plant-things.
The only thing I ever remember from Turbo Gfx was Bonk's Adventure.