Your first "mature" game.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I guess I'll have to say either Resident Evil 2 or the original GTA. It's been a while so it's hard to remember which came first. I also didn't understand English so neither game gave me much enjoyment since I was just doing random things.

It's hard to say if I were traumatized by the experience because how would I know? I don't think it has had any major impact compared to all the other things that has happened to me. I can't say for certain, but I don't think it has had much to do with my current state.

Edit: Also I must have been between 8 or 10.

Jack Nief

Nov 18, 2011
The first M rated game I played personally? Duke Nukem 3D... My brother didn't turn the mature filter on.

...Also I was 7.

Ironic, considering how I turned out as an individual. I used to play some of the more violent, gore-riddled video games growing up... but nowadays I settle for playing games like Journey, Kingdom Hearts, and Pokemon.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Maximum Bert said:
canadamus_prime said:
Evil Smurf said:
canadamus_prime said:
Doom. The original Doom that is. I was at my cousin's place and he let me play it. My Mom just about had a conniption fit as I was only about 9 at the time.
Wait.....Doom is not for children? I played Doom before GTA: SA. I played Doom as a young child, I can't remember my age though.
Well I assume it wasn't intended for children, what with the pixelated blood and guts and whatever. However it's hard to say since it was made before the existence of the ESRB and I presume any other equivalent ratings boards in other regions as well.
Odds are it probably was made for children or more specifically teenagers as the medium was pretty young back then I dont remember hardly any adults playing games (even less than now) certainly not enough to be worth marketing to on any significant level anyway. Same with Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct and their ilk.

I specifically remembering most adults either looking at these games with disgust (because of the violence) or just looking down on them to a greater or lesser degree as something not worth their time (but then that was pretty much every game)
Yes, I imagine it was designed with teenagers in mind. The audience that would get the biggest kick out of mowing down demons with a shotgun.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
It was probably Mortal Kombat since it was one of the firt game rated such and played it when it was released

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
In terms of an "M" rated game, it was definitely Onimusha: Warlords for the PS2.

It was definitely a difficult game to play at the time, due to a lot of the gore and violence that took place during the cutscenes. Eventually, I was able to get over it and enjoy an awesome Capcom title.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
By the time games started being marked with "M" or "T" I was already an adult who had played since childhood. So games just kind of matured along side my own development. It's hard to pin down a "first". I guess the first game I played once I was of a mature mindset as I tried to always invest in whatever game I was playing.

In other words, who can recall? It was a looooooong time ago.

Signa said:
uber-snip
I don't technically have a reason for quoting this so far as discussion, I just wanted to say that you have a fantastic avatar. That is all, you may return to your regularly scheduled programming.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Duke Nukem 3D when I was around 10. I didn't really think much of it as to just how violent it was and how many sexual incidents were in it. I remember being quite scared playing it to be honest. Like it was more horror than badass action like so many others remember it as. The sound of the Pig Cops definitely influenced my nightmares...

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Um.

I dont know.

I remember I was like 5 and I played GTA: Vice city. I was such a noob back then of course but it was still a fun game! I managed to finish it in god knows how many days, probably way more than needed, but again I was only 5 lol.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Well doom or GTA was probably it. I don?t remember how old I was though (7 or 8?) and they weren't my games I just borrowed them from my older brother.

My fist not just M but ?this is really, really not for kids? game that I owned and played was VTM:B though the content didn't bother me apart from the hotel which freaked me the hell out. I was 14 at the time.
Of course I had to ask my mom to buy it for me since it?s R18. She had no issue with this and I remember laughing with her about how it opens with a sex scene.

Even before that I rented games that were age restricted but none of them were memorable and it wasn't a big deal to me so I can't recall what they were.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
I found a strip poker game on the disks full of random pirated stuff I was given with my C64. The graphical quality was far, far too poor for it to be remotely arousing but my friends would make a big deal of it nonetheless. I remember it had a button where the computer would switch to a black screen with "IMPORTANT CALCULATIONS IN PROGRESS, DO NOT DISTURB!" at the top, which was a comically transparent attempt to hide your lewd activities from your parents.

ezaviel

Mar 26, 2011
I can't recall playing an "M" rated game before Mortal Kombat. But it certainly didn't bother me. Then again, I'd been watching stuff like the Friday the 13th series with my older brother for years by that point.

First "mature" as in sexual game? Probably Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail. But yet again I had experienced movies that were far more graphic then the game by that point.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Incidentally, I played MediEvil in front of my 6-year-old (who turned into a gamer himself, if a different kind of one) and he was so terrified I still couldn't show it to him well into his teen years, and that's when he was comfortable with the likes of Project Zero (which I believe half the world knows as Fatal Frame).

Spiritmaster

Dec 4, 2012
Bioshock was probably the first mature game I played (can't quite remember that far back.) That opening scence when you first get into Rapture proper where that one guy gets gutted by the spider splicer was the first time I ever was afraid of something in a game.

flamedance58

May 2, 2008
The very first Duke Nukem I'd say...that or Monster Mash..cause I'm not sure how many parents wanted their kids to blast the heads off zombies and see the blood and gore splatter everywhere.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
Hmm, let me see. I'll go with the first 18 rated game I bought. Dead Rising. Bought it on a special offer with Oblivion.Never really got very far in it, far too difficult for me then. Was really surprised I was actually allowed it. My parents had never let me buy an 18 before that, particularly the GTA series. I only bought GTA4 a couple of months ago.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Depends on what you mean by 'mature'.
Mortal Kombat, Duke Nukem 3D and Doom were all games I played as a kid, but my mom had no issue with them (or she would criticise them, but would let me play them anyway.) and I never considered them 'mature'.
I grew up reading classics and very good literature, so my standards for 'mature' were always more than 'boobs', and in fact that's the kind of thing that would make me label a game childish.

I knew there were adventure games with better plots, but as I didn't understand English well enough, I sucked at the ones I tried.

I think it was Eternal Darkness that was the first game that impressed me enough to consider it as something made for adults.

Jack Joe Tip Toe

Jul 19, 2010
GTA: Vice City. As a kid I just loved the freedom and the style of the game. Not until recently did I understand the true meaning behind things like "Rusty Brown's Ring Donuts"

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
Mature, as in boobs/violence/swearing then probably one of the Duke Nukem games.

Mature, as in something more thoughtful, I think it would be Metal Gear Solid. Interesting, little puzzles like finding the walls to blow with C4 or finding Meryll while she was diguised. Killing everything in sight wasn't the goal of the game, and the music over the end credit is honestly the first time I can remember liking a song for myself, not just because my dad liked it or something.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I was pretty impressed by the effects while playing one of the Mortal Kombat arcade games on a public machine. Other than that, I remember being impressed by the original Unreal and Quake games, mostly Unreal due to the graphics and sound of the world.

Can't say I was ever surprised by gore in any video game. I grew up a doctor's son, with anatomical pictures and even a real skeleton hanging about in the house.