Your first "mature" game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I guess it was Mortal Kombat. I thought doom came out first for some reason. I don't think I'd ever played anything hyperviolent before that point, but I played both when they came out.

And overall? Meh. I don't think it impacted me much, since I'd already seen hyperviolent media (basic TV, for example). I'd already been exposed to anime (by my dad, no less), the evil rap music, heavy metal (to an extent), and so on.

I didn't care enough to seek out the shit, either. MK and Doom were both hot items so I tried them. Just like I gave DDR a try once in an arcade.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
It depends what's meant by "mature", but I suppose for me it was Rise of the Dragon. It was in the house because it came in one of those Sierra box sets that they sold in the early 90s, and my father had bought it for the flight simulation game that was in it (Red Barron, I think) and I actually played it specifically because the box specifically described it as being for mature audiences (this was pre-game ratings, so I'd never seen something like that before) and I was curious to see what that meant.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
The first mature game I played was probably Wolfenstein 3D, I played it when it first released when I was 5. My dad was friends with the owner of the store, so I ended up getting to play some of the upcoming games before they got released.

I couldn't figure out how to get through the first door and a guard came and killed me. I cried... I was 5 and didn't like violent anything at that point in my life.

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
Can't remember exactly but it was either Duke Nukem Time to Kill or Die Hard Trilogy on the original Playstation. Both had mature themes not exactly suitable for an 8 year old kid.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
Hmm the longest i remember was GTA 3 around i was either 12 or 13. i had a ps1 and nintendo 64 long before the ps2 but their games were quite regular around e-t i think. any who i got gta 3 when i was 12 or 13 but weirdly enough kids my age were still quite normal even when we played it together we were still like kids and some of the parents who bought it did sit around some of us when we played the GTA or any other game.

AndrlCh

Jun 9, 2013
I think it was Mortal Kombat for me. I was about five years old, and my nine year old sister and I would play it on the SNES, so there was no blood or anything. While we did also play the Genesis version at a neighbor's house, it never really registered as overly violent and bloody to me since it was so video-gamey, for lack of a better word. Then again, this is coming from someone who was forced to watch scary movies by his father from a young age while being repeatedly reminded that there was a stark separation between reality and fiction.

King Kazma

Apr 25, 2013
Either Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn or Knights & Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom. C&C wasn't so bad but I was never able to beat it as a kid. Knights & Merchants though is a game of resource management/development, supply and demand balance and troop deployment/engagement and manufacture. Hell I remember when I broke through Lowenbourgs first line of defense of level 4. That was a huge achievement for me as a kid. I think I than got to level 8, than the barbarians just crushed me. I didn't come close to beating the game than, I got to the last level in my teens albeit with cheating, and finally beat the whole game in its entirety earlier this year. Probably a decade or so of this game now. What a long run.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
When I was a kid, I went to a friend's house. Thing was, he had collected a ton of PS1 games, among them GTA1. That'd probably be the first violent game I was exposed to before I took age certs seriously until I was 18 (Still stop parents from getting their kids 18 games when at the store, though).

My first 18 rated game I got was Mass Effect 2, which PEGI branded 18. Meant I couldn't get the Collector Edition, so I had to go with a version that the BBFC had rated 15.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Duke Nukem 3D. Me and my friends played it a lot. I think I was 6 the first time I played it.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
I believe my first mature game was Prince of Persia: Warrior Within which I got for my 11th birthday and instantly fell in love with after playing the first level

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I guess it would be Wolfenstein 3-D but at the time I didn't even notice the blood at the time or really find it that violent really. But this is all likely because I was very young at the time (5) and it was my first video game so I guess I really didn't have anything else to hold it up to before that? Whatever the reason it just wasn't a game that came across as grim or "mature"

For me, I still count my first "mature" game as Re-Loaded for the Playstation. It was the first game my dad and I rented when I got my PS1(I was 8) and I was already blown away by the fact that the CD had blood and bullet holes on it, But that was just a small taste of what the game had in store.

Soooooo much blood, Women with people hanging from meat hooks, A giant man with part of a Bear Trap for his lower jaw ect. Yeah, innocence was lost that day, and I just kept pressing through to gorier and stranger games heh.

EDI: heck now that I think about it there was Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct before Re-Loaded but again for some reason those games just didn?t affect me like Re-Loaded and the later games that I discovered for Playstation (Resident Evil, Nightmare Creatures, Tenchu, Unholy War, Abes Oddysee ect)

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
My copy of mortal kombat was rated MA-13, which is like a Teen rating right now. So Doom, I guess.

Addertellstales

Aug 19, 2013
I vividly recall playing Duke Nukem and Quake 2 with my dad when I was... maybe five? Parenting for the win there.
Funny, really, I watched so many adult things so young and it hasn't effected me in the least. It's why I'm always so skeptical when people talk about the influence of video games.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
This seems relevant to the conversation. I'd like to see what this girl says about the experience in 15 years, if she remembers.

Remember, people don't want to be sword

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I watched my dad play games like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Starcraft, Unreal Tournament, and Wolfenstein 3D when I was a young girl 5-10 years old. Also sneaked on to play sometimes. When I was younger I also watched my older cousins (who were all boys until me) play games like Mortal Kombat. I can't say it was particularly memorable or mind shattering though, and I've yet to grab anyone and rip their vertebrae out, so not much to say there.

But a friend and I (we were 13 at the time) played Conker's Bad Fur Day once. Doesn't matter how much older I was, but THAT managed to break me. In fact, the reason why I started to remember that game again was because a decade later I remembered a squirrel swimming and being decapitated by a fan. I love that game.

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
I think my first was Concor's Bad Furday. To me, it still is the the most funniest game I have ever played. Nothing made me laugh as hard since.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Violence wise, its probably Killer Instinct 64. It had an option to turn off blood whenever my parents were about to walk in.

Nudity wise, its Heavy Rain. Yeah, I know... I was in my college sophomore year when I first saw a pair of tits in a videogame...

Go on.. laugh. Ha.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Uh, Wolfenstein 3d, I guess. It was totally rated "Profound Carnage - 13" and I was only 11 or 12 when it came out, and I felt super mature that my mom allowed me to play it.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Unreal tournament. I thought it was hilarious taking a rocket launcher and blowing up people as a kid. I did turn out to become a normal adult that has never felt the need to harm or assault anyone and nor have I done so (gotta put that last bit in there so some canadian lady doesn't think I'm a psychotic or something...).