Your first multiplayer experience?

Bloodtrozorx

Jan 23, 2012
aba1 said:
Goldeneye was my first really competitive game which I assume was alot of peoples from my generation.
God Damn Oddjob...

Yes that was my first introduction to multiplayer gaming followed swiftly by the glitzy world of online multiplayer, I'm looking at you Unreal Tournament.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
CoD2. It kept me entertained for at least a full year. As a multiplayer experience, it's definitely up there near my all time favourites. During it's prime, it was a fantastic experience, very much a 'right place, right time' situation.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
My first multiplayer experience was Super Smash Brothers on the N64.

As for my first online multiplayer experience... I'd either say Neopets (if you count that) or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
aba1 said:
Goldeneye was my first really competitive game which I assume was alot of peoples from my generation.
I'm with you on this one Holmes!
My online virginity was taken by Halo 3, I was late to online, internet cost too much for my family at the time.

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
My online gaming started as a text based MUD or two, one PvP the other not so much.
Then it moved to the graphical with Doom and Command & Conquer.

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
BlueSinbad said:
aba1 said:
I'm with you on this one Holmes!
My online virginity was taken by Halo 2, I was late to online, internet cost too much for my family at the time.
Gah what just happened?!

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator away back in the late 90's was my first foray into online gaming. I spent years playing that.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
First online multiplay experience was on Halo 3. First offline multiplayer experience I think was with the first Star Wars Battlefront.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Quake 3 I think? I forget. I'm pretty sure it was a PC shooter of some kind on gool ol Dial Up.

Edit: oh wait that was first internet MP, I was doing lan stuff in the mid 90s with Warcraft and Command and Conquer all the time. Starcraft matches in particular in 98 I remember chewing up so much time.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Local: smash bros.

Online: Modern Warfare 2. It wasn't until I eventually branched out from MW2 that I realized that online multiplayer games don't have to suck.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
Euro 2008 on the PS3. One one football matches. Though my first experience in an online game was World of Warcraft; I don't know if it counts as multiplayer in the way you put it.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
First online playing? I have no idea. I think it might have been StarCraft. Or more probably Diable 2 - I definitely played Diablo 2 on Battle.net but I'm not entirely sure if I did that before or after StarCraft. It is very likely it was before, as I picked up StarCraft later and played it online a lot later than that.

But first multiplayer experience was over good ol' LAN. Also it was the era when the Internet made weird noises before appearing, and for quite a few years "online gaming" was something I only heard theories about. It was a really expensive hobby. Anyway, my first multiplayer experience was watching two guys play Delta Force My thought process was "Wow, that one guy killed somebody and the other guy died. What a coincidence." Repeated several times, until I thought the coincidence was just too great. The idea that one can play a game against aonther person, on different computers and at the same time...it blew my mind.

Delta Force was also the first game I played in multiplayer. The second was Quake 3.

Limecake said:
Counter-strike, the original. I remember playing it before they released 1.6 which I believe is still the current version of the game?

I was really young, and I remember being so proud to join a 'clan'. They actually taught me a lot about playing multiplayer, I kinda lost interest after source came out though.
Counter-Strike - the original? Which version is that? I started playing CS since beta 6.7 (or whatever the version number was - definitely it was 6-point-something). There was also CS beta 5 around, where you had to press a button to see your money, but I never played that myself. I still remember the terrorist escape maps...I miss them, I thought they were good fun - I'm not sure why they were dropped.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
What do you mean by 'multiplayer'? Do you mean like anything that involves more than one player or do you just mean competitive multiplayer or just online multiplayer?

If you mean multiplayer of any kind I suppose that'd be Super Mario Bros on the NES.
However if you mean competitive multiplayer, probably 2 player Tetris on the Game Boy
For online multiplayer, probably Diablo.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
I think it was a Delta Force game. Don't remember which.

I really got into the online scene around 2005. Played CS1.6 and BF2.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Mine was also Super Mario Brothers. I profoundly sucked at it, too.

Then there was Goldeneye (I think all my friends had a copy of the game, so I never needed it) and Mario Kart 64.

Then...
A friend of mine has some kind of military shooter on the PS2. We played that some.

Then my roommate in college had one of the Smackdown vs Raw games. And those tables, ladders, and chairs matches were too fun. So insane.

Then TF2

And now I actually enjoy Mass Effect 3's multiplayer. Though I feel like I'm sleeping with the enemy when I play it.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Pancho Agdeppa said:
In any game, What game did you first experienced the competitive side of a Game? If you're going to ask me. My first online experience is GTA San Andreas Multiplayer (SA-MP)

If you willing to share more info about your experience on your first try to the online gaming world. Go ahead.
My first multi-player games were Unreal Tournament and Counter-Strike.