your game of the year so far

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
^ It was Nioh actually -

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.948445.23938035

Those two names are too damn similar!
Yeah they are.

Nioh is great, but it's a mindless sort of great. I'm not attached to Nioh or it's characters in anyway. It is just a game that I can have fun hacking the shit out of demons.

Horizon is great because it's world is great, it's characters are great, it's lore is great, it's combat is great, it is great in every fucking way. Of course there are flaws with it. One of those flaws is that there isn't enough of it.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
Horizon is one of those games I can see myself never uninstalling.

Unless they make another and it's even better.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
Though I will say, having recently completed Zelda: Breath of the Wild (60 shrines/4 divine beats), if it ends up being something besides Zelda, then this is a very good year for videogames, indeed.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Laggyteabag said:
Well, I've only played Halo Wars 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda, so hopefully neither.
I forgot about Halo Wars 2, it was pretty good but it felt more like a teaser for Halo 6.
Im weird in that I don't enjoy multiplayer RTS games. I played the campaign, and then stopped there. It was alright, but it did kinda just end before it really got started. Interested to see how it ties into H6, though.

Im sure the multiplayer and Blitz modes are great, though. I just don't care for them

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Mass Effect: Andromeda. It's the only game from this year that I've played this year. I have RE7 and TLoZ: Breath of the Wild on deck to go at this point. Ask me when I've played more than one game this year from this year.

If it hadn't been delayed again, I would have said South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Laggyteabag said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Laggyteabag said:
Well, I've only played Halo Wars 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda, so hopefully neither.
I forgot about Halo Wars 2, it was pretty good but it felt more like a teaser for Halo 6.
Im weird in that I don't enjoy multiplayer RTS games. I played the campaign, and then stopped there. It was alright, but it did kinda just end before it really got started. Interested to see how it ties into H6, though.

Im sure the multiplayer and Blitz modes are great, though. I just don't care for them
Same, I like RTS games but I usually stay away from the multiplayer modes.

Atleast now we know that Atriox will be in Halo 6 and we'll be facing brutes for the first time since Halo 3. I guess we'll see Professor Ellen Anders as well considering Cortana found her in the ending.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Er, new games? Zelda is the only new game I've played so far this year. I hear Nier: Automata and Horizon: Zero Dawn are great, but I think I'll wait until later. Resi 7, Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 are games from series I have no investment in and from what I've heard so far, Yooka-Laylee is a big let down.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
I don't even remember what's come OUT this year so far.

How about Long War 2? Does that count? I dumped like 200 hours into it.
Good, solid, major mods like Long War always count in my book as their own sort of experience.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Atleast now we know that Atriox will be in Halo 6 and we'll be facing brutes for the first time since Halo 3. I guess we'll see Professor Ellen Anders as well considering Cortana found her in the ending.
Are you sure about that? Im fairly certain that Atriox is still stuck on the Ark with the rest of his Banished forces, as well as the crew of the Spirit of Fire. Only Anders made it off the Ark on the Halo - everyone else was left behind, or in the case of the banished forces on the ring, they were thrown into space.

There is story DLC, though, so maybe that will change, but I am fairly certain that Anders will be the only HW2 character to appear in Halo 6.

Dec 10, 2012
Nothing. I've played zero games released this year. I will get ME:Andromeda once they've patched it and released the DLC. And I'm somewhat interested in Horizon and Persona 5, but I probably won't play either until after this year.

I'm really not the games consumer I once was. Too many responsibilities these days, and too many games released in previous years to catch up on. I need to play Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, DA:Inquisition, The Last Guardian, Skyrim Special Edition... And that's just the more recently released games I have my eye on, there are other older games I should play as well. Not enough time, never enough time...

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
So far this year I've gotten ME:A, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Torment and Steel Division. The first two are effectively comfort food-style games, in that I enjoy them and get value out of them but they aren't exactly games that will stick with me. Torment was a pretentious let down with the worst combat system (by any other name) I've yet seen in my 30 years of playing turn based games and Steel Division is a decent Wargame spin-off that needs tons more polish.

Game of the Year so far? Ghost Recon: Wildlands, but I really hope it gets ousted because it is not GotY level for me.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
So far? And from what I've played?

Nier.

Game's pretty damn great and it makes excellent use of its assets.

Yoshilord

Mar 20, 2016
Either Horizon, Nier or Shovel Knight Spectre of Torment. I may have to disqualify the last one since it's DLC, but just the fact that it means more shovel knight puts it ahead of most games for me. I'm interested in Night in the Woods, Hollow Knight and Persona 5, but I haven't gotten to those yet.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
The Elder Scrolls: Legends. (TESL)

This wins be default for being the only game 'officially released' in 2017 that I've played. I don't buy games new and unless a 2017 title finds itself in a humble bundle package I really want then I won't play another 2017 game until next year or the year after.

So how is TESL?

It's fantastic. Its a free to play CCG that finds a home nicely between the casual RNG appeal of Hearthstone and the most skill oriented Magic the Gathering. Its still not quite the perfect card game for my personality and preferences but it does fit me much better than the other two games mentioned.

I'd probably score it a strong 8.5 out of 10.

Even if I had played a bunch of the big 2017 games out there I doubt anything would have beat TESL. Not much out there has effectively hyped me. Andromeda had all the potential in the world but everything I've heard about it has just been poor to 'decent'.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Laggyteabag said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Are you sure about that? Im fairly certain that Atriox is still stuck on the Ark with the rest of his Banished forces, as well as the crew of the Spirit of Fire. Only Anders made it off the Ark on the Halo - everyone else was left behind, or in the case of the banished forces on the ring, they were thrown into space.

There is story DLC, though, so maybe that will change, but I am fairly certain that Anders will be the only HW2 character to appear in Halo 6.
You're right, I'm not totally sure but it'd be a waste of potential if you ask me. I really do not hope the story DLC plays that big part of the story, even though I own the season pass I hope a important part of story isn't hidden behind a paywall.

YCRanger

Jul 31, 2011
Breath of the Wild with Horizon coming in a close second. Persona 5 may take the top spot when I get around to it as P4 is one of my favorite games of all time

YCRanger

Jul 31, 2011
Breath of the Wild with Horizon coming in a close second. Persona 5 may take the top spot when I get around to it as P4 is one of my favorite games of all time

Rshiella

Apr 24, 2017
Mortal Kombat X, the coolest fighting game of all time. I love this game since childhood.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Fool's Errand, definitely.

Yes, it came out in 1987 but I didn't play it until now!