Your Gaming Roots

Ryugen01

Jan 31, 2011
4 years old, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2 or +2A, the first game I ever played was Hong Kong Phooey. What got me into games though was the Master System and Sonic the Hedgehog

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
My first console was an N64. I don't even remember why we got it. The first game we got was Super Smash Bros. My brother and I still play that thing today, that's about ten years we've played it for. It's still the best multiplayer I've ever played. It's a damn shame that the series started to go downhill in melee, but then they horribly fucked it up brawl. Seriously what the fuck were they thinking when they made brawl?

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Gardenclaw said:
benzooka said:
My gaming roots first found water and nutrients from Amiga.
Oh yes My gaming roots started here, I wasnt allowed a console as a kid.. but my Dad had an amiga 500 with a half meg of ram extension to do his work accounts on. So i started out gaming with such classics as Battle Squadron, Speedball 2,Chaos Engine, Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer and New zealand Story.. Then my first Pc. the joys of L.A.N parties at each others houses playing Quake and unreal tournament...
I remember saving up to buy an xbox and having my mind blown by Halo C.E and then by Doom 3.
Now i have an Xbox 360 and still love the halo games, gears of war, Fallout 3+ new vegas, Mass effect and Forza 2+3.
Kids growing up now have no idea how lucky they are to have their gaming roots with systems that are as advanced as the current ones, No lugging a computer that weighed as much as a house round to your friends and spending an hour linking them all up to play quake. Or waiting 10 minutes for bubble bobble to load. Then again it's probably a sad thing they wont get to experience that either as it really does make you appreciate what we have now......
I'm glad there are other Escapists as well with experiences with Amiga. I mostly played platformers like Rainbow Island, Terry, Giana, Rick Dangerous 1 & 2 and a few other titles which names I can't quite remember. Also Italy 1990, instead of Sensible Soccer.
Didn't really get to more modern PC gaming until Colin McRae Rally, Half-Life, Diablo II, GTA and other legendary titles. Nowadays, games like Counter-Strike: Source (with about ten years of experience counting CS as well, and clocking nearly a thousand hours on CS:S, for the last couple years since the Steam counter last started, alone), Rise Of Nations, Titan Quest, Civilizations IV & V, Quake's, UT2004, Fallout 3 & New Vegas being a couple of the many most important and influential titles, personally.

But Amiga. Those were the days.

Wondermint13

Oct 2, 2010
First game I ever touched was Zool on the Atari.
Started playing Sega Master System at my grandparents before getting a Nintendo 64 of my own when I was 12. There I played Yoshi Story and Diddy Kong racing.

Ah memories.

Nibish

Jan 18, 2011
I see a few Amiga aficionados here. :) My gaming roots started on the Amiga 500, with Cannon Fodder and the Eye of the Beholder series. I remember having a small bible of hand drawn maps and notes for the Beholder series. And Rick Dangerous and Hired Guns are stuck in my mind after a lot of years.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
A PS1 and Rugrats: Search for Reptar on my 7th birthday. After that it was an Original Xbox, a PC and then a 360.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Dana22 said:
My gaming roots are tied with Commodore. Mainly c64 and Amiga. The first memorable game I remember playing was Atari Pong on the home console.
Thank you for making me not feel that old.
Anyway. Started with the Atari 2600, (you could swithc between color and black and white, oooooo) since my brother didn't want his younger brother, me, bothering him. And its all downhill from there.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Roganzar said:
Dana22 said:
My gaming roots are tied with Commodore. Mainly c64 and Amiga. The first memorable game I remember playing was Atari Pong on the home console.
Anyway. Started with the Atari 2600, (you could swithc between color and black and white, oooooo) since my brother didn't want his younger brother, me, bothering him. And its all downhill from there.
C64 and Atari 2600 for me.
the commodore for more complex games like "Kaiser"

And the easy accessable....copies...of games....that we sure owned...

And the atari for the fast 2 player fun.

My brother had no chance against me! :p
great times

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
For it me my first games where the first two Sonic games for the Sega Mega Drive. Those games kept me going until the playstation came along with the likes of Wipeout and Crash Bandicoot.

Emz

Jun 13, 2010
First experienced games at 3 on the atari. I started off liking games more though on my sega master system and my commodore 64 when I was about 5 I think it was. My early games were things like Sonic and cool spot but a little later when I was probably about 7 it was all about my snes and my gameboy and more importantly - Zelda.

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
First games I ever played were super mario land and tetris on gb.
Then, I don't remember where, I played afterburner in an arcade. Got obsessed and really upset when we left the place.

First console? Ps1
First game? Ace combat!!
Awesome. Shame Sony has let me down of late...wish I had a Wii.

Shotgunjack1880

Feb 12, 2010
Me and me two brothers scraped together $99.99 for a NES when they first came out. We were rolling pennies to pay for the thing. Been playing them ever since.

Abbyrose07

Mar 31, 2010
First Game: Streets of Rage for the Sega Genesis

Favorite Game While Growing Up: Anything Sonic Related....lol, Donkey Kong, Mario, Crash Bandicoot etc.

Now: Suikoden, Shin Megami, Zelda, Anything Bioware etc.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Roganzar said:
Dana22 said:
Im not THAT old. Its just the first game I remember :D