Your Health Will Regenerate in Resident Evil 6

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
How do they regenerate health? I don't know, the H-Virus.

For those too stupid to get it, the H stands for "health."

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
I think this is the way to do regening health: partially, not all the way.
Agreed, it's a perfect middle ground, you still have to avoid taking too much damage and make sure you have some spare med-kits lying about but you don't have to worry about passing a checkpoint with health so low an errant fart could kill you and then being unable to go back because your last save was over an hour ago.

By the way, it should probably be noted Amnesia: The Dark Descent used a form of regenerating health and that game is (rightly) considered one of the best survival horror experiences out there.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
The Great JT said:
How do they regenerate health? I don't know, the H-Virus.

For those too stupid to get it, the H stands for "health."
Either that, or after killing Wesker, Chris stole his supply of Plot Device Virus.

Of course, the real test for RE6 for me will be if they an come up with a compelling story now that they finally tied up all the loose ends from the earlier games.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
After reading the article, this isn't nearly as bad as I feared.

It's actually not even bad imo.

captcha: 'do you love me'

meh, we will see

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Well, it's not as bad as the title made it out to be. We'll have to see it in practice before we can judge just how much easier it makes the game though. Regenerating health won't help you if you don't have time to regenerate because all the zombies keep charging you, after all.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
But... but I don't need any more reasons to not use herbs. They already take up enough inventory space as it is... (Even more so when you have infinite ammo :D) Ah vvell...

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Irridium said:
So... the same healing system that's in Chronicles of Riddick, Far Cry 2, and Resistance Fall of Man?

I'm ok with this. It lets you have the tension of being short on health without the bullshit of getting royally screwed by hitting a checkpoint at 2% health.
This. It worked well in Riddick and that game was fairly suspenseful and creepy.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Irridium said:
So... the same healing system that's in Chronicles of Riddick, Far Cry 2, and Resistance Fall of Man?

I'm ok with this. It lets you have the tension of being short on health without the bullshit of getting royally screwed by hitting a checkpoint at 2% health.
Pretty much this. I was initially pissed off when I saw the title, but when I saw the details of how it actually works, it does not seem so bad. Honestly, this way or the Halo 1/Reach way are the best ways to do regenerating health. All of the positives of both with none of the negatives.

Still not getting the game, but wasn't going to be as bad as I thought it was. XD

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
The compromise with the single block thing is nice, but still.

WHY IS THIS NECESSARY?
It's not like the last 2 games were any kind of extremely difficult. In Resi 4 towards the end I had multiple spray cans and herb combinations stacked up.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
If you have to do regenerating health, which by the way you don't, this is probably the best way to do it.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
I actually like this way of doing regenerating health - should keep the game relatively challenging without any "oh-god-why-getting-one-shot-by-Wesker-and-no-health-herbs" that fixed health causes.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
One thing I've wondered ever since Resident Evil 4 - are old survival horror games only scary because the controls and camera sucked? Does implementing current-generation control schemes immediately invalidate any kind of real horror from the experience?

Michster

Sep 16, 2009
sethisjimmy said:
The compromise with the single block thing is nice, but still.

WHY IS THIS NECESSARY?
It's not like the last 2 games were any kind of extremely difficult. In Resi 4 towards the end I had multiple spray cans and herb combinations stacked up.
RE4 in pro-difficulty was actually pretty difficult. :p Do-able, but still took a while.

Also, for the people comparing this to Resistance's health-system: keep in mind that resistance didn't have herbs. You couldn't save healthkits for later and that's why it worked so well.

This type of health-regen PLUS herbs really breaks down difficulty

badmunky64

Sep 19, 2007
I didn't like RE until RE4 came out. RE5 felt like a step backwards in a lot of aspects, but was still enjoyable. Based on what I've seen with RE6, it will have something for everyone.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Actually, this kind of health regeneration actually makes sense to me. Seems akin to a person being able to perform first aid to mitigate the impact of wounds. They should have a small animation that shows the player applying bandages or antiseptic to wounds while they're in cover while it regenerates.

They could make it scarier if you needed to do absolutely nothing while regenerating health, as in, even look around (since you're focusing on first aid) and make zombies attracted to you while this is happening (due to the smell of blood, or something), making health regeneration a tradeoff between being healthy or being alert.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
WanderingFool said:
bafrali said:
I don't think Capcom can or will make it scary by this point since it is Capcom we are talking about.

Just enjoy the ride guys...on the corpse of your childhood.BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well that was funny
Eh... not that funny. but funnier than this.

Are you kidding me, this is the funniest thing I've seen in days!

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
No mere text can voice my disappointment in this turn of events

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I like how people who only like the first 3 Resident Evil games are the "fans" of the series and not people like me, who like all the games and all the movies.

Funny.

This health thing doesn't bother me, I just want to know how good the actual story is and how much gameplay there is over spectacle. I don't care if its cheesy action zombie shlock because THAT'S WHAT ITS ALWAYS BEEN. If you don't believe me, watch this.

I'm supposed to believe that this was scary? Sigh.....the 90s man, what are you going to do?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Don Savik said:
I like how people who only like the first 3 Resident Evil games are the "fans" of the series and not people like me, who like all the games and all the movies.

Funny.

This health thing doesn't bother me, I just want to know how good the actual story is and how much gameplay there is over spectacle. I don't care if its cheesy action zombie shlock because THAT'S WHAT ITS ALWAYS BEEN. If you don't believe me, watch this.

I'm supposed to believe that this was scary? Sigh.....the 90s man, what are you going to do?
You know, when you bring that up, RE wasnt really that scary to begin with. I mean, yeah, it had those moments, but than it really was always a kind of ode to B movies. In fact, thats really what I loved about it.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
FantomOmega said:
Your example is perfect and it baffles me that nobody uses it. Bunch of pricks.

Why is it that the mainstream market refuses to make their games scary in the slightest anymore? Dead Space 3 will likely not be scary, at all, and now Resident Evil? Part of what made it scary was how easy it was to get hurt, but how difficult it was to recoup.