Your Health Will Regenerate in Resident Evil 6

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
badmunky64 said:
I didn't like RE until RE4 came out. RE5 felt like a step backwards in a lot of aspects, but was still enjoyable. Based on what I've seen with RE6, it will have something for everyone.
You say that like its a good thing.

Recaptcha: riff-raff

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
That's the good kind of health regeneration, so it's fine by me. I wonder how many segments of health-bar there will be, though? I'm guessing they'll go with four or five.

I think they might do well to overlay an injury-system on top of the segmented health bar: when you take enough damage to deplete one or more segments (or maybe only if you take a lot of damage at once), you receive an injury which corresponds to how you were hurt. Head injury = eye damage or concussion, Leg injury = slowed movement speed, etc. An icon representing the injury appears, to fill in the missing health-segment. Maybe you have to heal injuries in different ways (nothing as tedious as Metal Gear Solid 3, though, please!) and sometimes in a certain order; injury-icons could have a priority rating and 'bump' each other up or down a segment. I've always appreciated the protagonist's injuries slowing him/her down in Resident Evil, but it'd be cool to mix it up a little bit to account for the type of injury.

Another cool way to mess with health bars is the Max-HP-Damage thing: when you take damage, a portion of it is permanent, or maybe just harder to heal. Dragon's Dogma does this (not all that well, unfortunately - spells won't heal "permadamage" but any curative item will), and I think the Ninja Gaiden games (hack-n-slash reboot, not the original sidescrollers) did too. In the case of RE6, this kind of system would probably be redundant.. so what point am I trying to make? I guess it's: "I like talking about health systems".

Regardless of how they do the health bar, I just hope it's scarier than RE5.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
Why is it that the mainstream market refuses to make their games scary in the slightest anymore? Dead Space 3 will likely not be scary, at all, and now Resident Evil? Part of what made it scary was how easy it was to get hurt, but how difficult it was to recoup.
Right now, the gaming industry is at the tail end of the "like Call of Duty, but..." phase. Now every gaming franchise is going to be forced to adopt some aspects of Call of Duty, even if they are forced to abandoned core aspects of their franchises. Reason for this is gaming companies think that all gamers want Call of Duty and evidence does support that. Last year, Call of Duty made Activision what, a billion dollars in sales, micro-transactions, and commercial revenue in multiplayer sessions. Based on that alone, companies think that what gamer's want.

Whether it's true or not does not matter. Companies think all gamers want it because the only data they trust is the sales. Sales indicate this is Call of Duty style action is the horse you choose.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
As long as most monters and attacks do more than one block of damage, I may accept this.

Casual Shinji said:
WanderingFool said:
bafrali said:
I don't think Capcom can or will make it scary by this point since it is Capcom we are talking about.

Just enjoy the ride guys...on the corpse of your childhood.BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well that was funny
Eh... not that funny. but funnier than this.

Are you kidding me, this is the funniest thing I've seen in days!
Quoted just to agree with you good sir.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
John Funk said:
Some will laud this change as a desperately needed modernization that the series has needed for some time...
Actually the desperately needed modernization that this series needs would be improved writing. While it may not be up there with AAA shooters (nor is its playstle well suited for multiplayer) the gameplay in RE4 was a dramatic improvement over its predecessors and IMO that's enough. The story however is another matter as RE4 was just as pants-on-head retarded as every RE game that came before it and every one that's come out since. Seriously, the people who do the writing for this series suck at their jobs.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
So it sounds like a portion of the aspect of Far Cry 2s health system (forgive me if other games do it to, this was the most recent[10 minutes ago] I played that used it). That may be the best way to do regenerating health and Far Cry had a brutally realistic health system but I dunno if it suits a horror game. At least not the aspect they took. If you had to get to cover and pull a bullet out of your arm in a couple of seconds like in Far Cry 2 then that could get pretty scary I imagine.

But really I havn't cared about the Resident Evil series since number 4 or before that either, so my opinion doesn't really matter here. in fact, I don't really care if the game does turn into a full on shooter.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Sounds stupid. Can we turn it off?

-I'm not even a hardcore enthusiast or anything but rejenerating health in Resident Evil just sounds dirty and wrong. Not that it couldn't be in there at all, if we were playing as Wesker or some sort of B.O.W. I could see it happening. But just handing it out to everyone takes whatever weight it might have had out of the game.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Doesn't it kind of depend *how fast* it regenerates too? I mean, if it just zips back up, it might seem a bit odd, but if it takes you a couple of minutes to fully recharge your last block while undead horrors are bearing down on you...I'd say that would add to the tension, while still giving you that last fighting chance to regroup.

Mind you, I don't play a lot of survival horror, so my opinion is coming through a slightly different lens, I expect.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
If you're still hoping they bring back the survival horror nature of the earlier titles in this series, then you're clearly being overly optimistic.

Enjoy it for what it is, or don't buy a Resident Evil game ever again, it's that simple.

Captcha: market forces - Indeed.

xptn40S

Jan 11, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
FantomOmega said:
Your example is perfect and it baffles me that nobody uses it. Bunch of pricks.
I'm fairly certain that this kind of health-system was used in Mass Effect 3, though it had a regenerating shield/barrier on top of that as well, but still.

But on the topic itself: I'm guessing that this kind of system can work well in a survival-"horror" game, like if it only regenerates rather slowly as someone above me suggested.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I honestly don't understand why they would even change this. It's one of those small little micro-changes that doesn't really change anything. Changing for the sake of change. The system is almost identical. Will there still be three different herb types that when combined give you more overall health? It will be more quantifiable with this, if that is still indeed the case.

CardinalPiggles said:
If you're still hoping they bring back the survival horror nature of the earlier titles in this series, then you're clearly being overly optimistic.

Enjoy it for what it is, or don't buy a Resident Evil game ever again, it's that simple.

Captcha: market forces - Indeed.
It's so tricky for companies to judge how to handle games in a series. If they don't change anything, critics and gamers alike attack it for doing what the last game did. If they change it too much, critics and gamers attack it for not carrying on the traditions of the previous games. I don't know about you, but if they keep the old traditions and make a new story and new locations, I don't personally see it as problematic. That said, I have mostly enjoyed every RE game to date, even if it wasn't for the same reasons as I enjoyed the previous games in the series.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
xptn40S said:
Waaghpowa said:
FantomOmega said:
Your example is perfect and it baffles me that nobody uses it. Bunch of pricks.
I'm fairly certain that this kind of health-system was used in Mass Effect 3, though it had a regenerating shield/barrier on top of that as well, but still.

But on the topic itself: I'm guessing that this kind of system can work well in a survival-"horror" game, like if it only regenerates rather slowly as someone above me suggested.
I think this would be handled the best if they did a thing like in the Versus games. Instead of a series of bars, they should Make the tail of the bar a different color, and that represents how much health will regenerate over time. I don't know why, but if it's a series of bars it reminds me of Resistance: Fall of Man and Deus Ex: Human revolution.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Don Savik said:
I like how people who only like the first 3 Resident Evil games are the "fans" of the series and not people like me, who like all the games and all the movies.

Funny.

This health thing doesn't bother me, I just want to know how good the actual story is and how much gameplay there is over spectacle. I don't care if its cheesy action zombie shlock because THAT'S WHAT ITS ALWAYS BEEN. If you don't believe me, watch this.

I'm supposed to believe that this was scary? Sigh.....the 90s man, what are you going to do?
I'm with you, I have played every game and enjoyed every game. We are the true fans of the series, not the people who break the games down and attack them for not being like the previous games.

That said, you can't look at the older games in a vacuum. You have to be looking at the games in the context that games tend to be played, especially RE games. They are essentially solitary games. The music, lighting, and the restricton of movement combined with the resilient enemies and scarce ammo are all effective ways to increase stress, which is a main component of fear.

Edit: Ugh, the FMV opening and closer were all completely awful. That shit has no place in games.

wyrmslayer1991

Jun 14, 2011
I'm sorry, but I would absolutely LOVE to play with horrible fixed cameras again. I still go back and play the first Dino Crisis every now and then.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Health regenerates? That seems wrong, somehow. Less survival horror, and more shooter-y. We'll just have to wait and see what comes of it.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
John Funk said:
On the other hand, terrible fixed camera angles made the games scarier, too - and I don't think anyone wants to go back to those.
Yo, right here. Give me terrible fixed camera angles over regenerating health any day.

As an alternative, I have to say what made Resident Evil 1 and 2 scarier was the scarcity of ammo. By the end of 3, 4 and 5 I had more ammo than I could carry conveniently.

Make it so that taking a shot is something to be debated again.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I think this article is wrong. I saw a gameplay demo where the player HAD to heal as Chris, but had a regenerating bar which was esentially stamina for melee attacks. Throughout the video his health didn;t automatically heal. Can we get this revised?

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
I will preface this by saying I didn't read all comments prior to mine so I might be repeating, sorry. But why does Resident Evil need changing? Can anyone answer that question? If I wanted to play a run and gun zombie game with co-op gameplay and no focus whatsoever on horror or survival, I'd just play Left 4 Dead, but I don't because that isn't the experience I want. What I do want to play is Resident Evil, the original formula that I loved as a kid and continue to love with all it's fixed camera angles, bullshit hit detection,frightening antagonists and hilariously bad dialog. I just spent about £150 not long ago buying most of the classic styled Resident Evil games of my youth because I didn't want to play the modern alternatives, that's money I'd have gladly given to Capcom for something even vaguely resembling Resident Evil 1-3, but no, guess that'll never happen.
Re-purposing a franchise to appeal to an audience other than the original fanbase is just wrong under all circumstances, just ask the Dead Space fans, those poor bastards...

Rant over.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
XMark said:
One thing I've wondered ever since Resident Evil 4 - are old survival horror games only scary because the controls and camera sucked? Does implementing current-generation control schemes immediately invalidate any kind of real horror from the experience?
I'm pretty sure the key to fright is a feeling of scarcity. If you have 3 bullets and 4 zombies your extremely rattled, and if you have nothing but a lantern that invites danger your constantly ready to piss your pants.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
And so we go another step from survival horror to generic fps/tps with zombies.