Your home town's claim to fame

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
I'm from Bradford in West Yorkshire.

As someone pointed out earlier, we gave the world the Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Suttcliffe, who's house was a couple of streets over from mine. We also have Stephen Griffiths, the self named "Crossbow Cannibal"

But moving away from serial killers, Bradford has also produced;

Christa Ackroyd, a radio and tv presenter
Sir Edward Appleton, physicist and Nobel prize winner
The Bronte sisters (Anne, Charlotte and Emily) the famous novelists and poets
Alastair Campbell, The Labour Party spin doctor during the Tony Blair years
Harry Corbett, the creator of Sooty
Kiki Dee, famous for singing "Don't go breaking my heart" with Elton John
Adrian Edmonson, comedian and writer, star of The Young Ones and Bottom
Gareth Gates, stuttering runner up on reality music show
Robert Hardy, base player of Franz Ferdinand
Sir Kenneth Morrison, Life President of WM Morrison supermarkets
Brian Noble, former Rugby League player and coach who both captained and coach the England team
The band Smokie
The band Terrorvison
Kimberly Walsh, one of Girls Aloud

There are quite a few others, but they tend to be cricketers or people who were very big during the industrial revolution for being mill owners, philanthropists and the like.

It's just a shame that Bradford is now such a total shit hole

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent, the pottery capital of the West, and birthplace of darts legend Phil Taylor and star Robbie Williams. Also referred to as Helmand, Afghanistan.

Shawn Tonge

Apr 18, 2011
My town is virtually unknown. I do live close to Port Huron, Michigan, though. It's famous for the Port Huron Statement in the '60s and as the city where Thomas Edison grew up. I'm kind of ashamed of that second one, actually.

deakin_j

Mar 14, 2011
Worksop. birthplace of several kid's tv presenters, golfers, donald pleasance and Bruce Dickinson, of Iron Maiden.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
I live in Ithaca Ny, the only thing we really have that I know of is Cornell University. oh and this.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
Murder capitol of Canada, i know its just Canada but hey. Also a few years back we were found to have the most confusing intersection in the world. We renamed it Confusion corner. There's a nice restaurant there now called the confusion grill!
Go Winnipeg!

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
My town, Knoxville, TN hosted the 1982 World's Fair, widely regarded as the worst World's Fair ever.

We are also home to the University of Tennessee Volunteers, once a great SEC program that has hit near rock bottom.

Here's a joke that sums up around a month of news concerning the Football and Basketball programs I heard after five of the basketball players were arrested for illegal firearms and drug possession:

"Why do the UT basketball players carry guns?"

"To protect themselves from the UT football players."

Being that a few weeks earlier, a couple of football players tried to hold up a gas station with an air gun in a Prius or something.

Before Bruce Pearl (recently fired) came and turned our basketball program around our men's team was so abysmal the whole city got behind our women's team instead. Talk about cognitive dissonance.

Our real claim to fame though is our high density of restaurant chains per square mile which I think is the highest in the country.

Go Vols!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
hashtag said:
Toronto. We have the CN tower. That's pretty cool. Like...it's tall and tower shaped.
Wow that sounded a lot worse than it did in my head.
What about when Toronto was still called York? It got blown up in the war of 1812. That's something.

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
Well, I'm currently in Winchester, England - home of Europe's largest cathedral (length-ways) and rumoured-home of King Arthur, one of many potential Camelot candidates. My home-town, Uxbridge, is a small suburban hellhole on the outskirts of London, but a few cool things have happened there. For example, Charles I and his opponents signed a peace treaty there, and a pub stands there now, fittingly named the Crown and Treaty. Don't go there. It's a shithole.

Better than that, though, Uxbridge has the Battle of Britain bunker. It's a bunker in an RAF base where Winston Churchill himself came to observe the final day of fighting during - what else? - the Battle of Britain. Still a terrible town, though.

Edit; also, Brunel university. Isembard Kingdom Brunel had something to do with it. I'unno, sue me.

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA so i guess grunge, Penny Arcade, hempfest, Boeing, Experience Music Project, Scifi Museum/hall of fame, coffee, costco, and Jimi Hendrix. oh, and rain.

EDIT: Something i found hilarious is that Seattle sells more sunglasses per capita than any other state... how?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Well I live in Nottingham.

Robin Hood FTW.
That's awesome...

As for me: We were recently a part of a terrible reality TV series that was cancelled mid-broadcast once they were done making us look racist.

Patrick Stewart lives here when in Britain (specifically on the moors managed by my uncle).

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
My hometown of Almere, Netherlands is only a few decades old(1976) since it's build on the bottom of a former inland sea.

So I guess that's good?

It's therefore also located on the larged artificial island on the planet(!), is the 7th largest city in the country and almost nobody likes living in it. Most people see it as a suburban attachement to Amsterdam. Which it's not. Honest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flevoland

"God created the world, but the Dutch created Holland"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polder

"Netherlands - about 1/5 of the entire country reclaimed from the sea, lakes, marshes and swamps. About 7,000 km2 in total."

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
I'm currently living in Salisbury UK, which is home to a Cathedral. Oh and Stone Henge ain't that far away.

My home town is Oxford. Full of universities, was home to C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and Lewis Carroll. Oh and we housed King Charles I when he was in exile, Oxford was once capital of the country.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
crossfire242 said:
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
More specifically, the northwestern bit of Mississauga known as Malton.
The Avro Arrow was designed, built and later scrapped for no apparent reason here.
Also the Lester B. Pearson Intl' Airport is here as well, even though most people just figure that it's in Toronto.
The Arrow was scrapped for either being too good a fighter jet or because the advances in nuclear weaponry would have made it obsolete by the time it could have entered active service.

Which is a shame, because despite how damn expensive the project was, the Arrow outstripped every single fighter jet in the era by a large margin.