Your home town's claim to fame

dryan21

Jul 25, 2011
nicole1207 said:
Reading in England- home of the Reading Festival and the location of the old Huntley and Palmers buscuit factory. (The festival is more exciting).
OH DEAR GOD, SOMEONE FROM READING?! jesus christ!

you also forgot ricky gervais :)

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I live in Cowes, home of one of the oldest and largest sailing regattas in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowes_Week

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
dryan21 said:
nicole1207 said:
Reading in England- home of the Reading Festival and the location of the old Huntley and Palmers buscuit factory. (The festival is more exciting).

Oh yeah! I totally had the same pervy PE teacher as he did too!

dryan21

Jul 25, 2011
nicole1207 said:
dryan21 said:
nicole1207 said:

Oh yeah! I totally had the same pervy PE teacher as he did too!
Lucky you aha

I do know someone that beat the crap out of him in their school years!

QuietBrilliance

Apr 12, 2011
Everyone that has heard of Essex knows that its England's shit hole. Well I live in Basildon, AKA the shit hole's shit hole.. It has no claim to fame other than being the worst place in England.

The_Splatterer

Off on a Tangent
May 31, 2009
Alzam said:
I dunno... the royal family popped in for a visit a few times. Also we have an obnoxious ripoff of the Hollywood sign. And a bad reputation with the rest of Blighty.
You couldn't possibly mean basildon??
QuietBrilliance said:
Everyone that has heard of Essex knows that its England's shit hole. Well I live in Basildon, AKA the shit hole's shit hole.. It has no claim to fame other than being the worst place in England.
And another! People from the internet live near me!

As i mentioned i'm from Billericay!
A meeting of the Pilgrim Fathers prior to their sailing in the Mayflower is said to have taken place in Billericay. Thats why we have mayflower school (boo!) and why Billerica, Massachusetts is called such!

QuietBrilliance

Apr 12, 2011
sshakespeare said:
Brentwood, England, home to the Secret Nuclear Bunker and unfortunately where lots of The Only Way is Essex is filmed.
HA, I used to be in Brentwood Drum Corps, your only about half hour away from me XD

Adellebella

Sep 9, 2011
I'm from New York, New York. Brooklyn, to be more specific.

Hard to choose just one thing...

I'll go with the fact Captain America is from there. ;D

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
My hometown of Pocklington, Yorkshire, England held the last witch burning in the country (not really something to be proud of I know), and despite it being such a small place by comparison it's been populated since the Bronze Age. In our Burnby Hall Gardens we have the biggest collection of Hardy Water Lilies in a natural setting in Europe. Yes I did get this information off Wikipedia, how did you know?

As for what I know, Pocklington has the Flying Man Festival in remembrance of a man who once tried to fly from the church roof with some home made wings but died when he crashed into the buttresses. Yeah...

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Currently, it's the Rose of Tralee. Which is just embarrassing. Not that WB Yeats and Westlife were much better.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Eufaula, Alabama. Apparently, it's the Big Bass capital of the world. They also have a rather nice golf course and a lot of pretty houses.

I still friggin' hate that town. The happiest I ever was was when I lived in Jefferson City, Missouri.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
Eastend, Canada. Scottie the T-Rex (One of the most complete T-Rex skeletons ever) was found there. We also have a large amount of retired writers...Small town though.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I live in a small town in New Hampshire. The kind of small town that the people in surrounding towns don't even realize we exist most of the time.

Back when my family moved here 25 years ago all we were known for was an XXX Drive-In Theater, which as far as I know was already closed down at that point.

These days we're known for... pretty much nothing. I guess we're probably most well-known for being that section of road that connects two much larger towns.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
We're home to a crazy old woman who's literally scared people out of the village. She persuaded 2 families not to move here and she was only trying to be nice...

PotatoeMan

Jun 11, 2011
Mullingar (Westmeath, Ireland) home of Joe Dolan showband legend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dolan

sharks9

Mar 28, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada. The most expensive house in Canada is in our town(Or it was at one point, there might be one that's more expensive now)

DJTruthsayer

Mar 24, 2011
The_Splatterer said:
Am i the only one who went through this entire thread to see if anyone on here lived where i live? Two chelmsfords and brentwood wasn't bad :)

OT: It's where the essex people of 'Gavin and Stacey' were from
It holds the largest fireworks display in essex every year for the 5th of Nov
Lee Evans went to school here and lives here.
there was another chelmsford?