Your home town's claim to fame

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Mine is famously mistaken for geographically being in any one of the Asian countries, for being a country of fines and most importantly the banning of chewing gum. Cookies and brownie points to those who can guess my country.

Well, medical gum is now available but I'm not chewing that anytime soon.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Melton, Victoria, Australia.

Famous for having me live there and that's about it.

Akimoto said:
Mine is famously mistaken for geographically being in any one of the Asian countries, for being a country of fines and most importantly the banning of chewing gum. Cookies and brownie points to those who can guess my country.

Well, medical gum is now available but I'm not chewing that anytime soon.
Singapore? I'll admit... I googled.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Franklin P.A- Famous we won a award for the top ten best streets in america. We got listed for one of the best bike trails in the us at one point but I forget when.

UltraPic

Dec 5, 2011
95spartans said:
I live in Worksop (A town in Nottinghamshire, England) so I guess we have one golfer (lee Westwood) and a football manager (Graham Taylor). Other than that I think we were heroin capital of Europe at one time.
You forgot Bruce Dickinson and Donald Plesance.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Berthierville is the hometown of Gilles Villeneuve, the Formula One driver who died during the Belgian Grand Prix in 1982. The main street, a stadium and a park are named after him. A life-sized statue of him is in that park, and there's a museum about him in the center of town.

Marzirocks

Mar 14, 2011
My hometown is Alamogordo, NM.

1) The Atari graveyard is located in the local landfill. (Although some rumors say it's just in the desert covered with concrete, as opposed to the landfill.)

2) The Iraq scenes for Transformers 1 & 2 were filmed at White Sands National Monument, which is about 15 minutes outside of town.

3) The scene where Sam first meets Bumblebee in the first Transformers movie was filmed at an abandoned factory at the end of 10th St (of which the numbered streets only go to 28.) Members of the Air Force stationed at Holloman Air Force base (about 5 minutes out of town) served as extras, as well as the pilots for most of the flight scenes.

4) "Water Runs Dry" video by Boyz II Men was filmed at White Sands as well.

5) Ham, the Chimpanzee who was first sent into space was trained at Holloman Air Force Base. Ham stands for "Holloman Aero Medical." His body is buried at the Space Museum in town.

6) In 1982, the Space shuttle landed at White Sands Space Harbor, on a dry lakebed.

7) John Paul Stapp, the man who rode the rocket sled (and also did testing on the unmaned ones) did his work at Holloman as well.

8) The longest parachute free-fall was set during the 60s as part of project excelsior. (The rocket sled testing and project excelsior were all projects for testing the forces exerted on fighter pilots. The modern flight suit was also developed here.)

9) While I was in high school (2001, maybe), a local pastor lead his congregation in a book burning that made national news. They focused specifically on Harry Potter, but also burned the Stars Wars books, works by Tolkien, and Shakespeare.

Fairly interesting for an town of about 38,000.

For a teenager though, it is boring as hell.

weker

May 27, 2009
In my how village of somersham we have the drummer from dragon force, I have actually met his daughter, but I don't know if he lives there now.

pilf

Apr 23, 2008
Home town of Houghton-le-Spring was the home of:
Actress Linden Travers
Music producer Trevor Horn
Amateur mathematician, William Shanks, who worked out the value of Pi to 707 decimals (of which the first 527 were correct)
(thanks Wikipedia)

As well as Bernard Gilpin who was rector of Houghton and became know as the "apostle of the North"

However te town my famiy currently lives in is Barnard Castle, most notable for the castle owned by Lord Barnard (hence the name) and the Bowes museum (named after the Queen's famiy) anis home to author Anne Fine.

Right now I live in Sheffield, the most notable thing here would be the steel industry. Even today "Sheffield steel" s regarded as a quality material.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio. After a couple lackluster seasons, I am proud to say we are back on top of the FBI's Most Dangerous American Cities list.

...Oh, and Bruce Springsteen wrote a song about us. Naturally, it's a remorseful acoustic ballad.

Jinxd

Jul 13, 2010
im from stoke-on-trent so..

Robbie Williams is perhaps the most famous pop star to hail from the city.

Slash, renowned guitarist for Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver was born in Hampstead, but his father was originally from the Potteries.

Murdoc Niccals, a member of the fictional group Gorillaz with the role of bass guitarist is said, in his constructed biography, to have been born in Stoke-on-Trent.

Phil Taylor, 13 times world darts champion is from, and still lives in the Stoke-on-Trent area

Sir Stanley Matthews lived in Stoke on Trent after being born in Hanley, he played for England and Stoke City, and latter managed Stoke's bitter rivals Port Vale from 1965-68.

Ian Fraser Kilmister was born in Stoke on Trent on December 24th 1945. Better known as Lemmy he was the founding member of the rock band Motorhead.

Captain E.J. Smith Captain of The Titanic was also born here

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Toronto... Fuck, I dunno. Maple Leafs. I'm going tobthe High School Canada's Prime Minister goes to.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
Greater London (where I have lived for all but 4 years of my life) has far too much to list...

In terms of my town of birth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromley#Notable_residents

Highlights include H.G. Wells, Charles Darwin, Richmal Crompton, David Bowie, Aleister Crowley, Siouxsie Sioux, Billy Idol, Charles de Gaulle (during WW2).

Despite being generally affluent, we have some really shitty parts mixed in with insanely rich ones. One such area -the proud holder of "Arson Capital of London" title- is the Cray Valley. In neighbouring Orpington, where I went to school from 10-17 (got put up a year in school due to being a disciplinary case as well as smart enough for the teachers to think my disruptive behaviour was due to "not being challenged enough") there was a period of about 3 years when the only shops selling books were WHSmith (a stationers) and the charity shops. So much for affluent areas having any class.

For some reason, a disproportionately number of London Black Cab drivers live in Bromley. A bit weird given their dislike of going South of the river at any time of night.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
When I lived in Littlehampton (most of my life), I once lived in a house on the same street as a londis (corner shop) that was apparently the shop Open All Hours was based on.

Okay that kinda sucks IMO, but still pretty cool.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL...we ain't got s**t. Seriously, all we have is a pathetic excuse for a national park, a 300 yard wide, 5 mile long forest whose trees were used to build Spanish ships...fantastic! Oh, we also had a "big" UFO incident in 1987 that no one cares about much less remembers.

We are a stupid town, we are the town that looks at Pensacola with a face of jealousy.

Joby Baumann

Apr 19, 2011
Manitowoc, Wisconsin we made the best damn submarines in WW2.

Oh and Sputnik crashed on 8th street

DFDelta

Dec 4, 2011
I'm from Mannheim in Germany and some things that everyone knows and uses were invented here.

1817 the first two wheeled bike was build here (basically what we call "bike" today), 1880 Werner von Siemens invented the first elevator powered by an electric drive, 1886 Carl Benz built the first car, and somewhere in the 1920 the tractor was invented here.

We have one of the biggest and most efficient inland ports in europe and the Mannheim Univerity is one of the worlds biggest universities for economics and social economy.

notsosavagemessiah

Jul 23, 2009
My home town has two claims to infamy.

1. George Lucas was born there and filmed "american graffiti" there as well.
2. Scott Peterson.

That is all.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
My home town is famous for housing an up and coming singer who tragically died as his career was beginning to soar. A lot of famous artists descended to our town, but were driven away by the crowds and fans.