Your "...I'll get back to it..." games list

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
There are games that you find too hard, and games that you find too easy. There are games that you find enthralling, and games that you find boring. There are games that suck hundreds of hours out of your life, and games that your play contentedly for fifteen minutes, put away for a couple of days, and then play for fifteen more minutes.

But if you're like any of the people with a backlog of games from Steam, GOG, or the like, there are probably games that you've picked up and played for a while, gotten distracted, and just... not quite gotten back to.

Maybe they were decent, but you just got out of the mood to play first-person shooters. Maybe they had a particularly difficult or tedious segment in the middle of otherwise well-paced game play. Maybe something else just caught your attention, and then another thing, and then another thing, until... Dammit, which button was "kick the door", and which was "throw a grenade", again...?

So out of curiosity: do you have games that you keep thinking in the back of your mind "I should get back to that at some point"?

I picked up "Crysis" from GOG a while back, and it's occupying that space for me. It's kind of a thrill when a plan works out, but then I remember all the trudging around in stealth mode that led up to that moment and can't quite bring myself to return.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh God, You've gone and reminded me. So damn many.

Let's see now...

Divinity Original Sin. Neat little RPG with really crunchy turn-based combat. However the poor interface makes playing it a bit fatiguing (Fucking hell developers, give me a shared inventory, they've been a thing for years now.) Funnily enough the game's crappy intro ensures that when I get back to it I do actually pick up where I left off instead of restarting. No way I'm facing that starting town ever again.

Hitman 2016: The game that Hitman has always had the potential to be but never quite managed until now. Great levels that feel really alive, solid mechanics and everything just kinda works. I take so long completing all the optional challenges on each level that I need to take a break between them. I've had more fun with a single level in Hitman than in entire other games.

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Ugh. There's a half-decent game in there somewhere. Deep, deep, deeeeep down, buried under a mountain of MMO-esque busywork bullshit and an eternity of repetitive combat encounters. Someday I'll get my shovel out again.

That's not even all of them, strictly speaking. These days there are enough good games coming out that I simply don't have the time to play them all, even being super selective with my purchases. Which is kind of amazing when I think about it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Baldur's Gate: 2nd Edition DnD sucks.

Planescape: Torment: I played it alot younger, but never beat it. Also 2E, but when I used to play it was before I was familiar with 3rd and 5th Edition. Plus dying isnt the same problem like BG.

Bioshock 2 and Infinite: Mostly cause the remaster of 2 is too buggy, and I dont want to play Infinite until I beat 2.

Hitman 1: I wish I could use a controller :(

Risen series: I started 1, liked it, but got distracted, and worry I wont remember how to play, but dont want to start over.

KotoR 1: Fucking Taris...

Witcher series: Got to the swamp, data got lost for some reason, very discouraging.

Brutal Legends: Apparently it turns into an RTS... s:

Games that its just a lack of immediate interest but want to...eventually:
Darksiders
Overlord 2
Starbound
Trine series
Tales of Zestiria
Tales of Symphonia
Quake series
Red Faction series
Mirror's Edge
Max Payne series

These were just games I own. Plenty of games I dont own for essentially this reason, like Shadow Warrior 2 and Dishonored 2.(Dont want to spend the money for them to collect dust)

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
My list is Uge as the president would say I got

FF 1, 2, soon to be 6, 7, 10, 13 and tactics to finish, Fallout NV, 4, Darksouls 1, 2, 3 and Bloodborn, Assassin's Creed Revelations and 4, Just cause 3, Robotech Invasion, Way of the samurai 2, Doom 1, 2, Final Doom, and Master levels, Wolfenstein 3d, Morrowind, Oblivion, Star Wars Republic Commando, Undertale, Hatred, Rome total war and expansions, Dynasty warriors 4, Castlevania Symphony of the Night and there are probably more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

And I'm only going to add to that list because I'm thinking about getting more games! Do I have problem?

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I very much intend to go back to Slain: Back From Hell and House of the Dying Sun

...Games take a long time to play. Especially when I only want/can spend an hour or two on them a day.
Or less, if *literally anything* else is going on that day.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
These days, anything with a different set of rules gets put aside for some future day when I 'feel like sitting down and really getting my head behind their systems'. Things like Thea, Sunless Sea and other strategy titles which eke out an existence being a departure from the standard systems.

I'm shamed to say these days, that I don't often get to that day when I am ready to sit down and learn, rather than a quick and dirty play session of something I know.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Demon's Souls is the last game in my backlog. I played a bit of Xcom but not enough that I wouldn't restart the game altogether.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Let's see...

PC-
Tomb Raider 2015
Deus Ex: HR DC
Shadowrun Returns
The Evil Within
Wolfenstein: TNO
C&C: Tiberium Wars (back burner game that I'll always probably have installed regardless of intent to play through)

PS3-
Platinum Dark Souls
Platinum GoW 1 & 2

Most recently though, I've set aside Bloodborne for the time being to play Horizon: Zero Dawn. Yeah, I love the former, but the latter is a pretty enthralling change of pace.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Elijin said:
These days, anything with a different set of rules gets put aside for some future day when I 'feel like sitting down and really getting my head behind their systems'. Things like Thea, Sunless Sea and other strategy titles which eke out an existence being a departure from the standard systems.

I'm shamed to say these days, that I don't often get to that day when I am ready to sit down and learn, rather than a quick and dirty play session of something I know.
Very much this, particularly cause I love RPGs. If its not 3rd/5E DnD, or like Elder Scrolls where you are less likely to screw yourself out of stuff, learning new systems is difficult. More so when it is too similar. I got Nioh, and it is enough like Dark Souls, but not like Dark Souls, that it is very jarring to play.

And anything less action oriented and more about the numbers and rolls, ugh. A big reason I keep passing on Pillars of Eternity and games like that.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Not counting the backlog i havent played and only going for games i played and want to get back into at some point:

Knights & Merchants - simplistic but awesome game with actually slow paced economy. Its combat is broken though.
Stronghold: Legends - i used to make maps for this game as a kid, want to replay some of my old maps again, they were fun.
Civilization V - ill finish it, damnit!
Terraria - Getting 90% with 3 different friends is not good enough, i want to get 100%. Too bad my friends keep quitting!
World of Tanks - i still havent given up that slimmer of hope that some day ill have time for mmos again.
Battlefield 3 - had lots of fun but then i started another game, and another, and kept delaying it till it ended up uninstalled completely. want to come back to it.
Witcher 2 - not really so much get back to it but ill finish it when i get the curent game out of my system.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Bloodborne - I tried! I really tried! I adapted the game to meet me, and got somewhat far. I'm in a nightmare zone and according to the wikis I have to fight a tower dude and a wetnurse next. And eat babies, or something. And I'm SOOOO GODANM BORED! I haven't changed my clothing - white priest or whatever for maximum damage/poison/fire/blunt resistance - or my hammer/sword, pistol and twin swords/fast sword combo in like...60 lvls? Roughly?
Its just sooo boring. Oh a monster. leap back, charge attack, shoot, switch to sword, stab, repeat x100000, then boss, summon a dude, summon an NPC, one-shot the boss, rinse, repeat.
God damn Souls games are boring! Its like playing all the worst parts of a Mass Effect game, on repeat, with no chance of adorable Tali or blue-assed Liara. Like, what's the point?! Might as well play WOW on a bad internet connection.

Bioshock for PS4 - I dunno. I love this game. Its top-3, easy. It's just...barely different. Can't tell any graphical upgrades and shit's missing! Shadows are gone, entire enemy encounters are gone, fuck me splicers and big daddies have a 50% chance of just spawning stiff, motionless. Still spout them words, "Where are you?" "I see you!" "I just wanted to see if she was breathing!" "Why won't you leave me alone!!" "I told you to leave me alone!!"
Heart breaking dying words of men and women pushed to their breaking point by stress and violence...undercut by them being motionless statues just begging for a two-shot to the back of the skull.

FTL - Kiss my dick

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Topless scenes aside, eh? Super bored and disconnected after Blackwall's quest. Woof.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Oh God, this is gonna be fun. Off the top of my head.

Demons Souls
Hyper Light Drifter
Sunless Sea
Dark Cloud 2
Not a Hero
Crusader Kings 2
Papers Please
This War of Mine
Company of Heros
Borderlands 2
Rogue Legacy
Uplink
Painkiller
Rome: Total War
Age of Mythology
Don't Starve
Puppeteer

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
The Witcher 3: Yeah- it's amazing- and I don't know why I haven't played it in so long, only getting like 20 hours in.

Planet Coaster: The RTC 4 we deserved- I guess I just haven't been in a nostalgia hyped mood lately, that, or the fact that my urges to play RTC or games like Zoo Tycoon seem to align with recent trips to Amusement parks/zoos. Call it inspiration.

Rocksmith 2014: Because my guitar's bridge is fucked and I need to find the money for a new guitar.

MGSV: Yeah, I don't know. I installed it a while back and played through the prologue and just left it for another day like a year ago- and I guess that day has never come.

Arma 3: I was really enthralled by the campaign- not because it was well written or anything, but just because the world's self assured attitude made it seem plausible. The first two acts were extremely interesting and fun to play through- I really enjoyed the guerilla tactics the game stressed- act 3 just feels so much more like a (Slightly more tactical) rooty tooty point and look at all of these fucking friendly NATO tanks doing 2/3rds of the work for you, so you don't even have to shooty. Going from feeling largely powerless and having to rely on risky planning and coordination, to just being part of a massive invasion where you're just another one of 60,000 soldiers really takes its toll.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I have loads of unfinished games that I set aside for a bit - and forgot about. It's usually not even a difficulty spike, except for the first one on my list.

Dark Souls 2
I completed the main campaign and 2 of the 3 addons. I just can't crack the way to the Blue Smelter Demon in 'Iron King'. Left it for a bit and now I fear my reflexes have dulled so much I don't stand a chance. Maybe I'll get back one day and simply kill enemies for so long that they won't respawn.

Dragon Age Inquisition
Basically what's been stated several times already. Grinding for.. respect or influence or whatever basically stopped my interest in moving the story forward. It just feels as if every time the game picks up steam you're running straight into a pause button. That's basically the reason I didn't preorder the new Mass Effect.

Witcher 3
It's so good and I love it. I just keep setting it aside because I don't want to rush through after work but wait for a week off to really get into it. So far, no success.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Murdered: Soul Suspect

Man, it looked so cool but it's so bland and it's definitely the least played game on my PS4 (behind even freakin' Godzilla 2014) but I feel like I should finish it someday, I feel like there's a cool game in there somewhere and I just gotta find it!

Feb 7, 2016
The Witcher 3- I love the game to death. And I haven't even beaten the main story because the game is just so damn huge. Doesn't help that I refuse to fast travel in such a beautiful world.

Fallout 4- I get to the part where you first meet the Institute, and I just lose all interest. Even fully modded I can't stand it sometimes.

Resident Evil 7- It's funny. The reason I haven't bothered to finish it yet is because I enjoy it so damn much. I just don't want it to be over, you know?

Final Fantasay 15- ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzz...........

DOOM (2016)- I honestly don't know. I love every second I do play it, and it runs so incredibly well. I think it might be for the same reason as RE7.

Metal Gear Solid 5- Despite very much enjoying my time, I can't bring myself to finish it knowing what lies at the end of it all for me; Fucking Nothing.

Mass Effect Trilogy- ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzz........

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Xerosch said:
I have loads of unfinished games that I set aside for a bit - and forgot about. It's usually not even a difficulty spike, except for the first one on my list.

Dark Souls 2
I completed the main campaign and 2 of the 3 addons. I just can't crack the way to the Blue Smelter Demon in 'Iron King'. Left it for a bit and now I fear my reflexes have dulled so much I don't stand a chance. Maybe I'll get back one day and simply kill enemies for so long that they won't respawn.
Yeah, I didn't even bother with any of the optional DLC bosses. Smelter Demon, Icy Tigers, Gank Squad. Realized there was no particular reason to even enter their areas and so didn't bother. The required bosses to finish the DLC were challenging enough.

Hell, there were a couple of optional main game bosses I didn't bother with. Never did Faux Sif(Royal Rat Authority) or the Gargolyes part 6. I finished the game and remembered I had bypassed the chariot earlier and went back to finish it. It was pretty easy, though I imagine it's a lot more satisfying if I had done it when I was first working through the Huntsman's Copse(the problem is, it's such a pain to even get up there and there's nothing worthwhile once you beat him).

Also skipped all of the Pursuer fights after the main one(the one with fog gates), went back post-game, beat him up the remaing 3 times and realized you don't get anything special from subsequent victories(other then satisfaction from beating the crap out of him again).

Yeah, DS2 really has a problem with "Too many bosses, not enough good bosses".

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
That describes pretty much every new game I've gotten in the last 2 years or so. I play them for a bit and get distracted by bigger priorities or social obligations. When I get back to them, I find it really hard to get back into them, so they just sit there in my Steam library.

Witcher 3
ACIV Black Flag
Alien Isolation
Dishonored 2
Deux Ex Mankind Divided
SUPERHOT

Note they're all fairly to highly acclaimed games and it's not like I didn't have fun playing them. I just can't find the motivation to start them up again. Don't know why.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Monster Girls Quest Part 1:
At some point I get sick of the "difficulty" the game had [I started playing in Hard Mode...]. So I think I gave up when I wanted to pass a Necromancer I think? I just intended to get a break, but then I realize I still have this break after 3 years.....

Demon Souls:
Having played Dark Souls before I thought it would be easier for me. I was wrong.... I stopped playing from frustration and I forgot to continue...

Dragon's Crown:
I REALLY wanted to love this game, and I indeed I like it enough. But because me and my friends stopped playing after a point, I realized the single player isn't s hot. So when the time come and feel playing with my friends again, then maybe I suggest it again.

Danganronpa 1 & 2:
I finished the main games, but I want to play the "if" Modes. After playing Danganronpa V3, maybe I will do this.

Pokemon Moon:
Man, this is my first Pokemon game and I just now realised even if I like the characters, the game itself isn't so much for me...I stopped after some very early major development in the story.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Xerosch said:

Dark Souls 2
Yeah, I didn't even bother with any of the optional DLC bosses. Smelter Demon, Icy Tigers, Gank Squad. Realized there was no particular reason to even enter their areas and so didn't bother. The required bosses to finish the DLC were challenging enough.
*cough* I... didn't know the Blue Smelter Demon was optional... Until your post I thought he was the final boss of the DLC. Hmm... always wondered why they'd re-use an enemy design.

While I defined my playthrough of 'Demons's Souls' and 'Bloodborne' as visiting every (secret) area and defeating every (optional) boss, I broke this rule when I met the f-ing thunder horses in the frozen tundra and skipped the double tiger fight. Guess I'll be going back today and try to kill the Fume Knight. I really just want the completed crown and be done with the game. And then I'll start with the first or third DS game. Yeah, the order I play these games in is kinda messed up.