Your "I'm an idiot" moments in gaming.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Phasmal said:
I think I played about 50 hours of Oblivion before I realised you could fast-travel.
Looking back, I wish I hadn't realised! It just made me lazy.
Same thing happened to me.

I kinda enjoyed traveling across the country side as I head from town to town though. Made it feel like an epic adventure.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
scorptatious said:
Phasmal said:
I think I played about 50 hours of Oblivion before I realised you could fast-travel.
Looking back, I wish I hadn't realised! It just made me lazy.
Same thing happened to me.

I kinda enjoyed traveling across the country side as I head from town to town though. Made it feel like an epic adventure.
That's the way I chose to play it as well! Well, until I started modding, at least.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Who hasn't fucked up their Flash in LoL? Those are always the best "I'm an idiot moments" because no one really gets upset about it. Everyone just has a short laugh (or long a one depending on how spectacular the fail is) and then moves on.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
idarkphoenixi said:
I often forget what colour team I'm supposed to be on, leaving to some very awkward teamkills.
I constantly had this problem in PSASBR. I'd be trying to attack my team mate and then realize that I'm on the opposite side of the stage running into the wall.

OT: I have a piece of paper on the wall next to the T.V. that simply reads: "When in doubt, look up." It works 90% of the time too.

rockoffanddie

Apr 8, 2009
The first time i played final fantasy 8 it took me at least an hour before i found the exit to the garden at the very start. Although in my defense, that place was a fucking maze.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I was playing State of Decay earlier. I was playing as Maya, heading from my base in Marshall to Spencer's Mill to bail another survivor out. Along the way, I drove past that burnt-down building with the chain-link fence. It was infested.
I thought I might as well take it out while I was there, so I honked my horn and ran everything that came out down. Maybe fifteen zombies later, I decided getting in close was safe enough, so I did.
After killing almost all the normal zombies, I encountered a feral. Now, the infestation was more or less clear, and I figured it would be a shame to let it re-infest because I ran off. So I fought the feral. It started by kicking my arse, but as I started thinking, 'Just run!', I got a string of good hits in, but never quite managed to pulp its head. Then it turned the tables again.
This time, I knew I was buggered if I didn't run, so I tried to climb over the fence, but it was too late. The feral killed her, and I knew it was down to my having bitten off more than I could chew.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Auron225 said:
StarStruckStrumpets said:
In Final Fantasy X, the cloister of trials. I think it's the third one where you acquire Ixion? Well you have to supercharge one of the puzzle spheres, and cross a lightning bridge. Literally spent days trying to figure out how to do it but never could, so I gave up. Years later I decided I was going to finish the game, so I looked up the trial on YouTube. As soon as I saw that all you had to do was push the pedestal with the supercharged sphere into the lightning I slapped my head repeatedly and just swore at myself for an hour. Honestly such an easy thing to have figured out and for some reason I never saw the solution.
If it makes you feel any better, the exact same thing happened to me -.- I was stuck on it for DAYS. Then I got bored - stopped playing. It was my friends copy and he wanted it back so I gave it back to him. I eventually tried it again weeks later, only after looking up a walkthrough... and I am physically incapable of kicking myself as much as I wanted to. I felt like a moron 0.0 Oddly enough, I managed every Cloister of Trials after that no problem, including the one where you get Bahumut which apparently floored all of my friends for a long time.
And if it makes both of you feel any better, my memory isn't perfect for it but when you guys brought it up I have this... muscle memory of some sort that's telling me that the same thing happened to myself, though I looked up what I was having trouble with after spending hours on it.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
I had one the other day, though I can't recall the details to perfection. I was playing AC 4, and since the stealth mechanics have been vastly improved I prefer to sneak through the majority of situations whenever the opportunity arises. Well, I was playing one of the story missions that has a pretty big stealth focus on it, and there's an area where you can sneak past a bunch of guys on a beach to steal some stuff, I spent about fifteen minutes trying to sneak past the thick of it before I realized that it'd be a hell of a lot easier to just use the stalking bushes to the side to walk around all fifteen thousand guards.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I remember another example of my gaming idiocy:

Back when I first played through Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, there was this level where you are infiltrating the spy factory. There was this one room filled with lockers, and one of them had a chip you need to collect for the rebellion. Problem is though, there is a guy who is convinced you are one of the spy bots made in the factory and he comes in every 30 seconds or so to check on you. If you aren't on the square in the center of the room when he does come back, your cover is blown and you fail the mission.

I remember getting stuck on this mission for a very long time, despite going right back onto the square after searching through the lockers, I kept getting caught. At the time, I thought it was because I wasn't exactly where I was supposed to be standing when I first entered the room. As a result, I gave up on the game.

Few years later, I went back to the game, got to this mission, and decided to only open one locker at a time. There was a short cutscene of the guy going over to the open locker and closing it, and acting confused as to why it was open. Then he left me.

It was then it hit me: I WAS SUPPOSED TO CLOSE THE LOCKERS AFTER I CHECKED THEM. I felt pretty stupid after realizing that.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
In A Link to the Past, I killed the Lamnolas with my sword, then found out I could've ended things a lot faster with the ice rod.

Granfaloon

Apr 25, 2013
SayHelloToMrBullet said:
Fallout 3

That day when I realised you can actually rotate the camera in third person by holding down the change view key. I mean, up until that point, the only time I'd be able to see what my character looked like from the front was when I sat down on a chair. Problem is the camera angle for the sitting down animation only ever gave me a very short glimpse. So I had to keep sitting down and getting up in order to get a decent look at my character.

God I felt so stupid after finding that out.

Also Enemy Territory Quake Wars.

I was on a server having the time of my life. I was doing so well, far more well than what I usually do on an online FPS game. Found out after 2 hours of gaming later that every person on that server was actually just a bot. I had been the only human player that whole time. Looking back, there were signs that I should've noticed, such as the weird bot names, and the lack of chat going on.

I felt so weird after that.
Haha, I actually did that in Counterstrike: Source once. And I foolishly thought I was getting better at the game, but I was just rolling bots the entire time.

LFC Scouser

The Fifteenth Arcana
Jun 7, 2010
In Skyrim I opened the first couple dragon claw doors by cycling through each combination of pictures not realizing that you could just look at the claw. I only realized it by looking at the claw completely accidentally.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
In Assasins Creed 3 there was a naval mission with a secondary objective of destroying a fleet in 2 minutes. After trying 10 or so times I finally managed it. I felt so stupid after a later mission told me how to change ammo types, meaning I could actually use the upgrades I'd bought.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
So, like everyone I had that Skyrim-claw moment - and I, too, tried to discern the combination from the walls. Only then I realised it was on the claw, but not that I could turn things in my inventory, so it was really hard to see the combination.

Super Hexagon: For about two hours I played it with the mouse, because I didn't know you could play it with a keyboard. That game. THAT GAME. I love it. I hate it.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
I really play alot of flash games on diffrent sites and there is this Virus game called "Phage Wars", in which you're playing a Virus. In every Level you and your enemies start with a mother cell and you've to conquer new cells to generate more viruses to destroy your enemy.

Well.. i was nearly finished with the game when i noticed you can upgrade your Virus and up to that point i've gathered a bajillion upgrade points.

Somehow the rest of the game was piss easy... i wonder why <.<