Your irrational fear.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
I myself have an irrational fear of Transit Vans. I can't walk past one in the street without tensing up and imagining the doors flying open and a group of men draging me in the back. Whenever I see one parked in the street I'll instantly suspect that it belonges to a member of a burglery ring. What prompted this thread? Well at the moment there is a big, black, unmarked Transit parked outside my house. It's turning me into a right curtain twitcher.

So what are you irrational fears?

sam42ification

Nov 11, 2010
I still fear the walk from the light switch to the bed. I don't think I will ever get over it. I always fear there is someone waiting somewhere in my room for me to turn off the lights and for some reason that fear diminishes when I'm under the blankets. It's something about being under the blankets that makes me feel safe and if I try to sleep on top of them I feel so exposed and unsafe.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Heights, I suppose. They make me dizzy and uncomfortable.
Not that it's entirely irrational to be afraid of them, but it's pretty much the only specific fear I have.

Skipper zammo

Oct 11, 2011
I'm terrified that one day I'll be in a moving vehicle and I'll scratch an itch on my face or nose and the car will crash or stop suddenly and it will force my finger into my eye socket or nostril.

That and moths. I have an intense fear of moths. if one starts flying around the room im in I start to panic and have to leave until it's gone.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I fear that will get my internet cut off for whatever reasons (no I don't go to dodgy sites) that others will find it to be normal to access to.

I guess the reason why I developed this fear was due to a mishap with the service providers years ago. I had to go a month without the internet when my parent switch service providers (how am I suppose to know you weren't suppose to called your current provider to cut the internet off?). Needless to say it goes to shows how much I depend on it since it was beyond boredom without it for a month (I lived in the middle of nowhere so no friends over here and I get no live channels on my TV in my room).

Having a mere taste of having no internet for a month is something I defernitely do NOT want to repeat on a longer scale.

Burig

Nov 8, 2010
Despite knowing that it takes a fair bit of rocking (and water) for a boat to flip over, I always get really scared when I'm on a boat and it begins to rock more than normal.
The same with turbulance - I know a wing or an engine isn't going to fall off, but still can't help feeling a little scared.

Maybe they're less 'irrational' when it's a life/death situation, but knowing that the chances of turbulance/rocking actually amounting to anything is virtually slim to none, it makes it feel a little irrational.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
I fear that will get my internet cut off for whatever reasons (no I don't go to dodgy sites) that others will find it to be normal to access to.
Ha ha! This. I had my internet go down a year or two ago for around a month and I was at the library almost every day just to use there shitty computers. Same happened again this year when I moved house, although it was a bit more important for me to have internet access then due to Uni and how all my work is submitted online.

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
I don't wear my hair in a ponytail, because I fear someone will just cut my hair short with scissors. It took me years to grow my hair out and is super important to me.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Irons.
When I was young I had a friend who as a baby, an iron fell onto his hand and it left his hand horribly scarred and deformed. After this I've always been cautious around irons, to a ridiculous level I admit but it's habit now I can't get over it.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Werewolves.

I'm scared to death of Werewolves, there's something about them that just unnerves me which is weird because my pet is a Siberian Husky which is fairly wolf in its own right. But just the thought of Werewolves scare me. If i think about them i wont be able to sleep and i'll turn on the lights constantly because i thought i heard something or saw a wolfy looking shadow.

I try to tell myself that they are not real but then i think to myself "Gee, if i was a Werewolf and there was this kid denying that i exist, i'd be pretty damn pissed off with that kid". So i just panic more o_O

cerealnmuffin said:
I don't wear my hair in a ponytail, because I fear someone will just cut my hair short with scissors. It took me years to grow my hair out and is super important to me.
A good stance to take!. You just know those Hairdresser Ninja are just waiting in the shadows for the time to strike

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
As I have posted in every single one of these threads, bees. I just do not like bees or anything resembling them.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
insects, mostly stuff like beetles and cockroaches. Something about them absolutely terrifies me. I tense up and desperately try and find a way to get away. People ways finds it weird when they see me like that. I'm 6 foot 5 and I'm scared of things so small but I can't help it

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
Toilet spiders. There's plenty of space between the seat and the porcelain for one of the motherfuckers to hide, and can you imagine the fangs just coming out of there and attaching to your man parts?

Now, usually I don't so much imagine a spider as an enormous disembodied pair of fangs, but I definitely know it's related to spiders.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Lifts!
It's just a metal box being pulled by metal string.
A metal death box
Everyone has explained how it's super unlikely to die in a lift and they're lovely and safe but I still don't like it. They make me wanna cry. I will only go in one if I have to.

Oh and any place I can't stand up, but that's more of a rational fear from the time I had an asthma attack in one of those little tunnels that kids play in.

feeback06

Sep 14, 2010
I have a weird thing about my friends hooking up with new significant others. I'm always afraid that they will vanish from my life. I've been told that it's irrational, but since it's already happened to me twice; you'd have a hard time telling me otherwise.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
Revnak said:
As I have posted in every single one of these threads, bees. I just do not like bees or anything resembling them.
then you should never open this spoiler.
*spoiler has been retracted by request*

OT: i fear disappointing the relevant master. that's all.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Jonluw said:
Heights, I suppose. They make me dizzy and uncomfortable.
Not that it's entirely irrational to be afraid of them, but it's pretty much the only specific fear I have.
Pretty much this. I get a bit unnerved when I'm up high....so when I'm faced with a situation involving a high place, I do what any normal person would do......

Charge in head first!!!!!!!*

What? How else am I supposed to overcome my fear of heights?

Though I suppose its not entirely irrational...

[sub]*figuratively.....of course[/sub]

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Spiders. Little bastards that they are. At least I can avoid them most of the time.