Your iTunes Library

purf

Nov 29, 2010
a bit of copypaste

purf said:
The numbers:
Items in my MP3 folder: 3962
Amount of vinyl records: about 4/5ths of one standard Billy shelf (one layer, including my girlfriend's)
CDs: uh, a good boxfull.

What musical styles make up the majority of the music you own?
Probably EDM. Or is it IDM? Electronica? You know, this [http://somafm.com/cliqhop/] + that [http://somafm.com/digitalis/]

Is this a good indicator of your musical preferences?
Yes. No. This collection woefully underrepresents how much I also like a lot of music which needs no electricity.

What kind music do you wish you had more of?
see above. Singer/songwriter stuff. Plus some Hip Hop/Rap. But Spotify (even the free account) covers this so far (insert rant about atrocious advertising)

Is your collection mostly digital, CD or vinyl?
mostly digital, duh. And I'm tempted to do something with my CDs that results in them being 'away'. The ones I (still) care about are high quality mp3s already.
[...]
Favourite something? No freaking idea. I do know that in a 5 albums for the lonely island scenario, I'd pack Miles Davis' In A Silent Way

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
88 songs over eight albums, with some songs cherry-picked from other albums of the same band
16.6 hours total
Probably significantly less than a gigabyte, I dunno

My tastes are basically limited to female-fronted metal (The Agonist, Unbreath, Within Temptation) and black metal (Vreid, Dark Funeral).

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
17 835 items, 54.5 days, 164.61 gigs.

First and foremost, I am a metalhead. That said, I listen to just about anything (as I'm sure the numbers above reflect). I mean, the last album I bought was Nile's Those Whom the Gods Detest (I'm seeing them in December), but I also bought the new Justin Timberlake album (I'll probably see him on tour next year). My favourite genre is Thrash (old and new stuff), though, and my favourite band is Metallica (I know it's a copout, but it's honestly true).

I couldn't tell you how many CDs I own (2-300 hundred?). I've compiled a list, which is alphabetized. I have them in CD racks in that order.

I have quite a few vinyls, too (In excess of 50, I'd think), which are also alphabetized.

I own a few 'iTunes LPs', but I try to avoid buying things digitally (iTunes doesn't allow you to buy music in their lossless codec).

Yeah, so that's my life.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
IndieGinge said:
Well, actually I use both Itunes, and then have a communal Zune Pass (Microsoft Family) so I've got about 10000 songs on all my MP3 devices. But what I keep on *MY* computer? Loads of shit to be honest. I've just started to get into music in the past 2 and half years, so I've mostly got the three phases I've gone through, starting with Indie Rock/Garage Rock (think The Arcade Fire, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, The Black Keys, and Passion Pit all thrown into big blender) collection. That's mostly on the Zune though.

Then I'm from Seattle, so I heard about Macklemore like the day he release "Wings" as a single, like 2 years before The Heist, so I slowly started getting into hip hop. Now I bump Wu-Tang, Biggie and Young Snoop when it comes to the classics, or Kendrick Lamar, Kanye, and then a few more local groups and not quite household name rappers (I'm not sure what the Escapist community's stance on hip hop is, but if it's anything like other online places I frequent, ya'll tend to consider it trash). But it's all quality stuff if I'm not out at like a social thing or party.

Now, in the last year I've started to get into the electronic scene. I like good dubstep (Skrillex can go screw himself, he's not bad per se, but he's my least favorite artist, and he blows live if you're sober, I've seen club dj's that are better than that!) but mostly I like House music, Electo-House, Trance, and then what's currently being used as EDM(Electronic Dance Music) which seems to be heavily influenced by trap and hardstyle (I'm still not 100% sure what these mean to be honest, electronic genres are more confusing and varied than metal, but I do have a pretty good idea.) I'd say I love electronic music as much as I do right now because of how it can be so primal and sensual without having a single word in a song. I'm currently listening to Adventure Club, Tiesto, Dada Life, Borgore, Pegboard Nerds, Krewella, and Kill The Noise, with a fuckton of other singles thrown in the mix. And if I sound too excited about all this, I'm sorry, I just got back from a 2 day music festival and saw all of them live, along with about 20 other artists. Also, most of my Electronic actually is in my Itunes, not just on the Zune pass, so I guess that's what's there.

Oh, I almost forgot, I'm also very partial to old rock, Led Zeppelin, all the punk classics, Bowie (Of course), Talking Heads, some of the New Wave scene, and then just Sunglasses at Night, by Cory Hart, I just friggin love that song for some reason.
If you haven't heard of Action Bronson check him out. He's my favourite 'new' rapper.

On this computer (relatively new) my iTunes count is pretty low, around a thousand or so songs, but on the main family computer there are maybe 70-90,000 songs? I haven't checked in a while.

Scrubiii

Apr 19, 2011
I have over a thousand songs in total, but I went through a pretty big change in taste recently where I cheered up and stopped listening to Linkin Park and similar stuff, so I currently have around 200 songs I actually listen to. No particular genre, if I like a song I buy it.

CPunchMaster

Aug 29, 2011
How large is my music library? Just over 11,000 songs. 21 days of music, though I've got another 7 days worth of podcasts. It's almost all soundtracks or trailer music pieces. As for favourite album/song? I really like Immediate Music's stuff, I wish they would put out more of it. It cost me an arm and a leg to get an actual CD of "Themes for Orchestra and Choir 2", so I'll say that's my favourite.

The sad part is that I'm really OCD about managing it. I just spent a week going through and making sure all the tracks follow correct rules in regards to capitalising words and stuff like that... A year or two ago I went a bit crazy making sure that my entire library is in the highest quality possible. No sense having nice audio equipment if the music is 126 kbps MP3 or something.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
IrateDonnie said:
Aris Khandr said:
1989 tracks at current count. I had more music, but my former roommate borrowed my CDs and never returned them, so I'm missing a lot of stuff I used to own. Part of the reason I've gone exclusively digital. Sucks to rebuy stuff you already paid for.

Mostly oldies for me. I pretty much stopped caring about new music in 1992. I have a few things from after that point, but it is mostly either foreign or a soundtrack. Give me the Beatles, Queen, Moody Blues, or Carpenters over current stuff any day.
And I thought I was the only one that switched from cd to digital just so people can't borrow my cd's & not return them.
It isn't the only reason, but certainly a contributing factor. Other major reasons are the fact that I just hate being bogged down with physical media anymore (seriously, I've got 11 and a half boxes of books in my basement, those things are a pain in the ass to move) amd the fact that stereos can play from iPods directly now, so no need to switch CDs while driving. Makes it so much easier to listen to my music on the go.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I have less than 300 songs on iTunes itself, though I can't really say how many I have off of it. I used to buy music whenever I got the chance, but ever since I ended up going through numerous changes in taste every couple of months I've been somewhat skeptical of buying music given that I fear my tastes may change suddenly again, so I generally listen to radio (sometimes through iTunes) as a result. Granted, my tastes haven't really changed for the last couple of years, so I might start buying more again soon.

As for my favorite genres: melodic death metal and power metal are probably the two I listen to the most. Do note that by power metal I'm including all the symphonic metal bands whose general style is closest to power metal. Other than that, I tend to go around numerous different genres of rock and metal.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
266 songs lol get rekt son. I had to download everything from memory when my laptop full on died and left me with zero recovered data...

All the game and anime soundtracks and pretty much nothing else. Apparently I moved all my old CDs to somewhere as well so I never got to download those again. I did have like 2000 though.

Collegeboy21

Jan 26, 2010
I have 1,234 songs in my library. The most played by a wide margin are my Two Steps From Hell albums. For instrumental music that is just epic beyond all reason, their stuff has no equal.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
iTunes is pretty crap to be honest, the only programme that has lagged up a brand new computer for me. I use MusicBee, very customizable and has a nice interface.

Music

14,480 Songs
127.1 GB
48 Days and 2:47 Hours

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I love music of various genres and by various artist.

I have 1601 songs, about 8.7 GBs worth.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
I honestly listen to whatever sounds good or gets me thinking about the lyrics (if its in English, anyway). In my collection of 1310 songs I've got:
Alternative Rock
German Alternative Rock
Hard Rock
J-Pop
K-Pop
Chinese-Pop
Pop * this is a close second 'cuz nostalgia
whatever's catchy on Glee * this here is what I listen to most of the time 'cuz they cover a lot of my favorite songs and have multi-part harmonizing/new twists/mash-ups applied to them, which is a bonus for me.
Anime soundtracks
Video game soundtracks
Movie soundtracks
You tube original songs or covers with instruments/ a cappella etc (love me some Smooth McGroove, Lindsey Stirling and Mike Tompkins)
a little R&B (nostalgic ones at any rate)
some of my favorite Golden Oldies
some Indie songs

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I've probably got about 350 songs across 25 albums or so (not including my second copy of "Lungs" by Florence + the Machine).

I don't buy a lot of music, but MAN do I listen to it a lot.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Zanderinfal said:
thesilentman said:
Upwards of 1300 songs is what my library tells me. Oh, and not all of us use iTunes. =D
That's pretty impressive. And noted, I'll edit the OP to say say it doesn't have to be iTunes.

thesilentman said:
Half of the music is mine, while the other half is my dad's. I listen to pretty much anything technically complicated, ranging from Beethoven to ZUN.

Personally, my favorite artist would be Dream Theater, Pink Floyd a close second. My favorite song of all time is tied between Space Dye Vest by Dream Theater or Time by Pink Floyd. They just are really damn effective at the overall message they convey, whether it be sadness in Space Dye Vest or helplessness in Time.
Time is a brilliant song from an excellent artist. Great Gig In The Sky has always been a favorite for me. I have a bit of a soft spot for On The Run as well, if I'm honest.
I love Dark Side of the Moon in general, but Time is what cemented for me. It's a well crafted song about the helplessness that happens as time passes by. Pink Floyd in general is just damn good at this. :)

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I've only got 277 songs in my iPod, and that's because I'm EXTREMELY picky about what I let in my iPod.

I don't have any full albums or CDs in there, I always cherry-pick the best songs. So while I have the songs from a bunch of different artists and sources, I don't usually have more that 2 or 3 from each.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
First of all, obligatory iTunes is the worst piece of garbage I've ever had to install on my PC (I've heard it works great on Macs), so I will tell you the music content of my music library, something solely governed by MediaMonkey.

16,650 files
160.2 GB
~17.3 days
Most Played Song: "Night of the Hunter" by 30 Seconds to Mars (699 times)
Favorite Type of File: mp3 followed by flac (3,782 and growing)

I buy CDs when I can, rip them into flac files, and play. I can fit probably 80% of my collection on my old 80GB classic iPod which, yes, degrades the quality of the music I bring with me everyday. Still, can't have surround sound with headphones.

Honestly, I'm surprised at the low count of media files in people's libraries. Has everyone turned to the online subscription model of Pandora/Spotify/Google Music instead of buying the music complete? The idea of not having lossless files on my computer scares me...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I do not have iTunes, I have a crap load of MP3s but no iTunes, cause I hate the iPod. (I found it to be not very user friendly) I got a GoGear Vibe instead.

As for the actual number of tracks, no idea. A lot, though the MP3 player it self has 716 tracks on it.