Your latest music fixation

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
PaganAxe said:
I've recently developed some intrigue for Yes' Close to the Edge album. I'm going to keep listening to these guys to see if I can get permanently hooked.

Great band, amazing album! Try out Fragile next then Relayer, but dont touch the later albums as they are not very good. Also 90125 is a really good album in my oppinion but a lot of people consider that they sold out on that record as it is pretty much all catchy, radio friendly, progressive pop-rock.

Thk13421

Nov 22, 2009
I just found Blind Guardian's "Nightfall on middle earth" album. It's all about the Silmarilion. And it's AWESOME.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=320Te91vWnY

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I've been giving a lot of
and
a spin lately.

I was also recommended
by a new friend recently, and have been enjoying them quite a bit too.

I have an odd habit of liking a song and then listening to it non-stop for like a week.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Broady Brio said:
It symbolises what all Dubstep sounds like to me.
Except that's not dubstep at all, it's electro. o.0

Anyway, not really new but found their CD in my car the other day and it's been on repeat since;

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Lionsfan said:
I've started to listen to a lot of electronic/techno/whatever it's called.

No Knife Party remixes? I'm mightily disappoint!

At the moment I'm listening almost too much to The National, First Aid Kit, Tallest Man on Earth, Knife Party and Skrillex.

So yeah, Indie-Rock, folk and Dubstep. Swell.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Marnie Stern. She is the greatest guitarist. She writes good songs. All you metalheads who would rebut with Herman Li or some asshole from Nightwish or something, please stop. Marnie Stern. This debate is over as far as I'm concerned.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Tizzmarelda said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJWqjO8tggE

Beware, may cause serious skankin to ensue!
Yes yes!

Fucking love Capleton for the most part but some of his slack tunes piss me off.

Like the original too but that remix just smashes it. :p

BaronFelX

Mar 18, 2010
It's funny that I saw this thread, because I spent basically all of yesterday listening to the Dead Kennedys. Wonderfully satirical, and with a great surfer guitar vibe.

Also, I always forget that I love Diablo Swing Orchestra until someone reminds me they exist. So, thanks.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
My current music fixation revolves around around two things.

First, an almost unhealthy obsession with video game and movie soundtracks. Most notably, anything by Kelly Bailey, Jesper Kyd, Paul Ruskay, Jeehun Hwang, Grant Kirkhope, Mike Morasky, Hans Zimmer, and John Murphy.

Second, I have recently rediscovered my absolute love of all things Junkie XL, Deadmau5, Massive Attack, and Niyaz. Samples to follow:

Picking just two songs doesn't do this artist justice. He's produced for other artists, done film, TV, commercial, and game soundtracks, all while composing and producing his own albums. His music spans a wide range of styles and genres. So I've picked two drastically different tracks to emphasize that point. The first being a track he did for Saints Row: The Third
The second is from one of his introspective albums titled Today. The song's called Honey and I think it's a beautiful track.

Deadmau5 is what real dub-step artists are like. Genuinely musically talented. Unlike some 'artists' that are popular today. *cough*Skillex*cough*
This is Ghosts N Stuff. It's one of his more famous tracks.
This is, as far as I know, an unfinished, unreleased track. Still, I love it.

I'm pretty sure most of you will know who Massive Attack is. As such, I'm not going to post Teardrop. I'll post some other songs people may not have heard.
This is Inertia Creeps.
And this is Angel.
I was going to link Paradise Circus, but then I remembered I actually prefer Gui Boratto's remix of that song. It's just inspired.

Niyaz is a Persian-influenced collaborative group comprised of three people. The hauntingly amazing vocalist Azam Ali, the classically trained instrumentalist Loga Ramin Torkian, and producer/remixer Carmen Rizzo. Their music is a cross between 'world' music and electronic.
This first song is called Ishq, or Love and the Veil.
This one is called Minara.

omglazorspewpew

Nov 14, 2011
The past few days I have been listening to a lot of Ana Tijoux who is a Spanish language hip-hop musician and she released a 2nd album just a couple of weeks ago.

but I have also been really into The Phenomenal Handclap Band for some groove heavy indie music

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
I've been on a Pennywise binge lately. I've owned the albums for years yet I've been going full throttle recently.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
5-0 said:
Ghost Reveries is immense. I recently got the Special Edition 5.1 mix as a late Christmas present. It was bloody hard to find. Just Watershed to get now and my Opeth special edition collection will be complete! I've also got a Blackwater Park shirt, but I've worn the shit out of it and now it seems to have shrunk :(
Sick! Also, Opeth shirts tend to be notorious for shrinking.

Did not know there was a new Swallow the Sun album, gotta check this out.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Depends, just went through a miracle of sound phase for a few weeks. Now diving into some Heidevolk. I still jump around a bit depending on my modd but those two dominate my listening time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOLeLX0Q9U

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Lumber Barber said:
....Take me with you!
I really recommend that you try out the less-famous albums, Meddle and Atom Heart Mother. They have some very interesting songs. Listening to One of These Days, Echoes and Atom Heart Mother gives me the chills every time.
OT:pink Floyd as well. Mostly the more... odd stuff, things like "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" and "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast". Always throw in some BB King as well, to lighten the mood.
I plan to delve into their earlier work, 'Syd-era', so I will give those a listen next. And do you mind the swim to New Zealand ;)?