Your mom and gaming.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
My mom's the reason I got into gaming. She played Super Mario bros and Super Mario Bros. 3 with me.

I started off holding the controller upside down, but still managed to play on par with her.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I was playing Dead Island with a friend when my mum was over for a bit. She stared at the screen where I was beating up zombies with what was left of an oar and then said in a horrified voice 'They only give you a stick?', I lolled.

LiberalSquirrel said:
Alas, my mom tends to ignore my gaming habit more than anything. She doesn't quite get why her little girl grew up to love gaming so much.

Nevertheless, she's gotten me a GameStop gift card for Christmas before. And my Xbox 360 was a birthday present from some time ago. So there's that.
At least your mum recognises to an extent that you like gaming. My last birthday my mum bought me a pink hairdryer...I don't even.

I have to ask if I want anything game related. I mean even a gift voucher would be nice at some point...I have asked for Batman Arkham City for xmas. She looked at me like I was mental. I'll probably get some straighteners -.-

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Tends to stay away from it. My Dad on the other hand often plays Call of Duty...he kinda sucks though.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
One time, my mum got just shy of 50 million on the Windows Space Cadet pinball game without doing any of the missions.

That was one child-neglecting day.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
considering how into Pokemon my brother and i were, my mom would always brag that she was a Pokemon master. she knew the names of about 5 Pokemon.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
My mother has admitted that if she was held a gunpoint and forced to play a video game she might play portal rather than get shot. maybe. that's the closest she has ever come to gaming.

Toy Master Typhus

Oct 20, 2011
My mom just yells at me whenever a play games saying "Why don't you play a real game like farmville, and while your at it friend me on facebook" at which point I respond with stfu and get a stern talking to about how I need to respect the opinion of a half a person who only plays flash games off facebook so she can pretend she has any relevance with me going to school to be a game designer.

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
My mum loves Ace Attorney... and is not entirely dubious at Atom Zombie Smasher.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
The only game my mom ever really loved was Tetris on our big, fat, gray Game Boy. She used to rub it in our faces how she had the high score. That's funny because my sister and I were just 5 and 6 years old when she was trash talking us about how awesome she was at Tetris.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
My mother is a gamer come to early. Had she been born 20/30ish years later than she was, she would have been playing Mario and Zelda like the rest of us (Course then you might not have wonderful me around and I know you all love me ^_^)

Anyways, because my mother was born to early, she tends to play in the shallow end of the gaming spectrum. Facebooks games, tetris, hidden object games on Big Fish that kind of stuff, nothing fast or stressful because she doesn't have years of wasted hours getting to Lv. 87 hand-coordination.

But anyways, when I was about ten I had a demo of Crash Bandicoot racing. Now I suppose this story isn't especially funny, but it's always been a good memory for me. Since my brother and sister were 6 and 5 years older then me respectively and I lived out in the boonies with no other kids to play with, I would often beg her to play with me. So she and I would race each other in the demo. It was a hell of a lot of fun even though the demo was small and so you memorized all the tracks quickly, but it was always great to see who'd win and got bragging rights.

But whenever I get a copy of skyrim, I'm going to try and convince her to play with because I know it'd totally be her kind of game if she can just figure out how to play it, you know? That's what easy mode is for anyways XD.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
My dad beats the snot out of me at old Sonic games, like genesis era. We used to play Doom together, he would steer and I would shoot. My mom.. she does not play most games. Although she does like Tetris and Bejeweled.

TyrantGanado

Oct 21, 2009
My mum generally doesn't bother too much about games. They got Wii Fit, Mario Kart and she has Angry Birds but that's more or less it.

Her reaction when I told her I was going to uni to study game design, however, was fucking priceless.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
My mom would always encourage me to raise a Psyduck whenever I played Pokemon. It was her favorite one, and one of like 5 that she consistently was able to remember the name of. She also always wanted me to "use the monkey with the twisty hair" when I would play DK64, obviously referring to Tiny Kong and her flying ability.

My dad has a better story though. Without him I never would've got into video games. From the time I was 2 months old he would put me in his lap and have me slap the keyboard when he would play computer games. I have no clue what he played when I was that young, cause my youngest memory was being about a year and a half old and slapping the keyboard while he was playing Wolfenstein 3D a month after he got it. This eventually evolved into me playing some simple computer games to getting a Gameboy Pocket and Nintendo 64, which solidified my gaming obsession as it is today.

He also complained whenever I kicked his ass at Halo and thought it was fun to stab the shit out of things as a rogue in WoW.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
My mom was the first person in my family to beat Super Mario Bros. 3. Since no-one believed her when she said it she beat it again. The reason my mom and dad bought a Nintendo was because they wanted one.

The last time she played any games she played wii sports and managed to hit me in the back of my head while playing Baseball.

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
Thisgermandude said:
Tell me the funniest story about your mon and gaming. My mom for example knew the fifty first Pokémon by heart, just because I had a poster of the 150 first Pokémon in my room.Your mom played Contra,Zelda or kicked your ass in Tetris just write it down.Put in your dad storys in here as well.
well, speaking of zelda and kicking my ass in tetris...
My mom was obsessed with tetris and Dr. Mario. She would play Tetris until she got to ridiculously high levels. She also really enjoyed playing zelda. Once it got to the super nintendo, though, she lost interest, and let us fight over our own stuff.
My dad, however, never really liked video games. He got them for us because he knew we liked them, but he tried playing NES once, and hated it.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
blizzaradragon said:
My mom would always encourage me to raise a Psyduck whenever I played Pokemon. It was her favorite one, and one of like 5 that she consistently was able to remember the name of. She also always wanted me to "use the monkey with the twisty hair" when I would play DK64, obviously referring to Tiny Kong and her flying ability.

My dad has a better story though. Without him I never would've got into video games. From the time I was 2 months old he would put me in his lap and have me slap the keyboard when he would play computer games. I have no clue what he played when I was that young, cause my youngest memory was being about a year and a half old and slapping the keyboard while he was playing Wolfenstein 3D a month after he got it. This eventually evolved into me playing some simple computer games to getting a Gameboy Pocket and Nintendo 64, which solidified my gaming obsession as it is today.

He also complained whenever I kicked his ass at Halo and thought it was fun to stab the shit out of things as a rogue in WoW.
Are we the same person? That sounds like my life... I played Doom on my dad's lap, its one of my earliest memories. I got a Gameboy Pocket, then an N64, after that I branched out.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
my mum thinks gaming is a waste of time. her hobby is archery, shoting an arrow into a target over and over for hours, thats totally different and not a waste of time.

my dad used to game but i think as my brother i got older we kicked him off the computer and stuff. he used to play things like starcraft and wolfentein. i remember him getting all hyped up when he got to the end of wolfenein and meet the last boss dude, saying it was a giant monster :)

back when we played bf2 we tried to get him to play just it seemed using the mouse to look but not to steer cars was to complicated.

Instant K4rma said:
She's a good enough healer, but anything that requires coordination quickly became an issue for her. In Naxx, for instance, I would have to 2 box the "Safety Dance."
that seems to be a common story with girls and mmos, especially older girls. good healer but constantly stand in fire :)