Your Most Annoying Case of "Forgot About His Powers."

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForgotAboutHisPowers

Dear god is this trope annoying when it happens for drama. So where did it turn up that it was most annoying for you?

Mine would have to be Persona 4: Golden around the time

Nanako gets kidnapped.

To put it simply: "Hey retard, someone could be in danger, now is not the time to be hung up on the idea of the police not believing you. There is a TV in the fucking room isn't there? Walk up to it, stick your hand in, and blow their fucking minds."

Again, didn't play it, I watched another video because SuperJeenius wasn't uploading fast enough.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Pacific Rim. It's happened everywhere in pop culture but I'm discussing this elsewhere so it counts. If the robots have huge guns that kill the monsters in a few blasts... why the hell do they even need the robots? Just make big guns!
Goddamnit robots are irritating.
Or in the film version of the Hobbit part 2. Hey Martin F, you know you've got a ring that makes you invisible, right?

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Tom_green_day said:
Pacific Rim. It's happened everywhere in pop culture but I'm discussing this elsewhere so it counts. If the robots have huge guns that kill the monsters in a few blasts... why the hell do they even need the robots? Just make big guns!
Or in the film version of the Hobbit part 2. Hey Martin F, you know you've got a ring that makes you invisible, right?
In Pacific Rim's case, they didn't use guns because the monsters apparently had extremely toxic blood that could make large areas unlivable if you blew them apart. They started out bombing them, but switched to giant robots when they realized they were poisoning large areas. The giant robots essentially let them bludgeon or cut the kaiju to death without spreading their blood over a large area.

It's pretty much a copout answer that exists specifically to justify giant robots punching monsters, but the excuse does exist. NGE handles it better by making the angels immune to pretty much any type of gunfire without an evangelion nearby to bring down their shielding.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Dragon Ball Z...I've revisited Dragon Ball Z Abridged in between DBZ: Attack of the Saiyan's play times and I think team four star put it best during season 2: Krillin could have killed Frieza before he showed off his third form using a combination of the solar flair and, destructo disc. Frieza can't sense Ki after all and it was proven that he was vulnerable to Krillin's Destructo Disc (as his tail was cut off at one point by the DD). The biggest problem this would have produced would have been Vegeta not dying (which is likely what mellowed out his evil ways) and, Goku attaining the level of Super Saiyan...but it would have also been the only time a human would have had a major, decisive victory against a main antagonist in Z!

Thinking about it further, Tien could use a much more effective Solar Flair which he could have used against Nappa...That could have stunned Nappa for long enough to have Krillin Destructo-Disc the guy in half. Then Vegeta would have murdered everyone before Goku got there to save the day...

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
The events that lead up to the ending of dead space 3, I'll spoiler the rest for those who haven't played it yet.
This ending had me raging for quite a while after it happened because the entire series of events leading up to Isaac sacrificing himself could have been prevented in any number of ways, this all revolves around the moment when Ellie is being held hostage by the cult guy.

1. Shoot him, simple as can be, and since both Isaac and carver are there with weapons in toe you'd think they'd be able to out gun the cultist, especially since the game is all about 'shooting off the limbs" you'd think 3 games in Isaac would have the perversion of a surgeon by now to target specific body parts.

2. Stasis both ellie and the cultist at the same time, giving the characters ample time to free ellie and kill the cultist.

3. Even if they did go with the plan to give the codex to the cultist to free ellie, then why didn't they shoot him dead as soon as he turned his back on them to plug it into the machine?

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Tom_green_day said:
I would also say Pacific Rim, but for a different reason.

That damned sword...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...
Oh! Oh, I came up with the perfect reason for why they didn't use the sword. You see, there had never been a Japanese pilot before. Think about it.
The Americans used big guns--the plasma cannon was their main weapon. We Americans like our guns.
The Russians used their fists. Russians are a strong, proud race that takes pride in their physical endurance "In Soviet Russia, we kill bear with bare hands."
The Chinese used grace and martial arts. You know, because China likes martial arts.
The Australia one, um...I don't know. He was a cocky Australia dude? Give me a break.

But what culture is always using swords? The Japanese. Did you see a Japanese pilot before Mako stepped up? Nope. Therefore, no sword. Got to keep to the culture. :)

Anyway, the only one I can think of that has ever truly bothered me comes from Assassin's Creed III. Desmond breaks into the offices and goes on a murder rampage. These guys aren't Templars. They are security guards just trying to earn a paycheck. And he slaughters them wholesale. Then he pulls out the Golden Apple and literally walks out, not killing anyone (unless you chose to do so) because the Apple makes them back away.
Why didn't he just pull it out in the first place? As we saw, no one could touch him, so there was no risk of the Apple being stolen from him. So why did he have to murder dozens of people when he could have spared all their lives simply by holding an object out in front of him on his way in through the door? Desmond is apparently a twisted murderer who enjoys the killing for the sake of it. Probably for the best that he's dead now then.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...
Oh! Oh, I came up with the perfect reason for why they didn't use the sword. You see, there had never been a Japanese pilot before. Think about it.
The Americans used big guns--the plasma cannon was their main weapon. We Americans like our guns.
The Russians used their fists. Russians are a strong, proud race that takes pride in their physical endurance "In Soviet Russia, we kill bear with bare hands."
The Chinese used grace and martial arts. You know, because China likes martial arts.
The Australia one, um...I don't know. He was a cocky Australia dude? Give me a break.

But what culture is always using swords? The Japanese. Did you see a Japanese pilot before Mako stepped up? Nope. Therefore, no sword. Got to keep to the culture. :)
Sorry but I don't think holds any ground, for one they're both mind melded together, so her experiences are his, so any cultural affinity towards swords would have been his a the same time. Also the mech was his and his brothers for years before, how can you use a thing for such a long time and not know every single weapon that is on board.

They just wanted a scene where the veteran was at a loss during a critical moment and the rookie showed how much they had grown as a pilot.

Liam Briggs

Jan 23, 2012
Bleach, oh bleach there are so many different times this comes up but what bugs me the most by far is Orihime's hogyoku powers. For those who don't watch bleach Orihime essentially has the power to rewind time in a small area, she can heal with it and even can bring back the dead however so many times in the story a character loses an arm or breaks there sword or even dies and Orihime never does a thing to help; so irritating.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Corven said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...

Sorry but I don't think holds any ground, for one they're both mind melded together, so her experiences are his, so any cultural affinity towards swords would have been his a the same time. Also the mech was his and his brothers for years before, how can you use a thing for such a long time and not know every single weapon that is on board.

They just wanted a scene where the veteran was at a loss during a critical moment and the rookie showed how much they had grown as a pilot.
Gypsy Danger had been restored and upgraded since its fight with knifehead, and it had not had a sword when Raleigh and Yancy were piloting it. Mako knew about the sword and Raleigh didn't because Mako had been in charge of restoring Gypsy Danger. Also, the whole mind meld thing doesn't instantly allow both partners to know everything the other person knows. They get access to each others' memories (which they try to shut out as much as possible) and current thoughts. Raleigh didn't know about the sword until Mako thought about it, and Mako didn't immediately use the sword because Raleigh was taking the lead (as the most experienced pilot), and they had been doing fine without the sword up until that point because both Raleigh and Mako were very adaptable fighters. Sure it's still kind of silly that they didn't use the sword immediately, but there's at least a plausible explanation for it.

Shraggler

Jan 6, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Dragon Ball Z...I've revisited Dragon Ball Z Abridged in between DBZ: Attack of the Saiyan's play times and I think team four star put it best during season 2: Krillin could have killed Frieza before he showed off his third form using a combination of the solar flair and, destructo disc. Frieza can't sense Ki after all and it was proven that he was vulnerable to Krillin's Destructo Disc (as his tail was cut off at one point by the DD). The biggest problem this would have produced would have been Vegeta not dying (which is likely what mellowed out his evil ways) and, Goku attaining the level of Super Saiyan...but it would have also been the only time a human would have had a major, decisive victory against a main antagonist in Z!

Thinking about it further, Tien could use a much more effective Solar Flair which he could have used against Nappa...That could have stunned Nappa for long enough to have Krillin Destructo-Disc the guy in half. Then Vegeta would have murdered everyone before Goku got there to save the day...
If it's just anime that we're talking about, this pretty much sums it up. In almost every situation, a Solar Flare + Destructo Disk combination seem to be able to handle everything, but they're rarely ever used and never used together to just bisect everyone. There are many similar instances in DBZ and that's one thing that turned me off that show all those years ago.

I suppose Supernatural does this an annoying amount of times. I have a few friends who are near-obsessive fans of the show, and the inconsistencies of specifically angels & demons regarding their supernatural powers/capabilities is too frustrating/annoying for me to be able to get into the show. To me it's stupid that they get into physical, beat-'em-up combat and don't possess any physical advantage. They move as slow as a "natural" human and they're still unable to predict and/or detect when they're about to get stabbed, yet they're supposed to be vastly superior to humans if just in ability alone.

Their "supernatural powers" just seem to mainly affect humans and simply consists of flinging them around or pinning them to walls. Overall they're not as powerful or interesting as they could be, nor are they rare enough nor awe inspiring as the first few seasons, and especially their respective introductions, indicated. Their characterization is inconsistent - they're either extremely powerful or extremely vulnerable to basically fit the writer of that episode's story. It just seems lazy and it frequently causes the universe to become too unbelievable.

Ix Rebound

Jan 10, 2012
Many cutscene in Mass Effect that has any kind of combat in it, where Shepard forgets about his biotic powers that he has had (presumbably) his entire life.

2 and 3 were the biggest offenders, The amount of times were he could have solved the immediate problem by telekinetically ***** slapping someone's face off goes into the double digits

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Shraggler said:
If it's just anime that we're talking about, this pretty much sums it up. In almost every situation, a Solar Flare + Destructo Disk combination seem to be able to handle everything, but they're rarely ever used and never used together to just bisect everyone. There are many similar instances in DBZ and that's one thing that turned me off that show all those years ago.
Well that's because after Frieza all of the bad guys had regeneration capabilities. Well, the androids didn't but he liked 18, 19 and Gero could absorb energy attacks so I doubt they wanted to risk it and I guess for 17 it would have been able to do it to one without the other one intervening. I think bad guys also started learning how to sense ki.

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
Madoka Magica: All of it, when you learn what Homaru's power is, you wonder how she ever failed to complete her goal. It is kinda ridiculous. She should be able to do it one hundred times over before anyone can figure out WTF is going on.

Remember she has the power to stop time as well as time travel. Think of all the times that would have been handy. Madoka throwing the soul gem off the bridge. Hell if she just kept turning Kyubey into swiss cheese like she did in the show, afterwards it mentions there aint shit he can do about it. Kyubey would have never come in contact with Madoka, remember it has a limited number of bodies. Not to mention the hundreds of other ways time travel breaks stories.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Ix Rebound said:
Many cutscene in Mass Effect that has any kind of combat in it, where Shepard forgets about his biotic powers that he has had (presumbably) his entire life.

2 and 3 were the biggest offenders, The amount of times were he could have solved the immediate problem by telekinetically ***** slapping someone's face off goes into the double digits
Ohmuhjeegus this.
So many times I've sat at cutscenes and shouted at my TV "SHEPARD YOU DIPSHIT YOU ARE A BIOTIC, JUST FUCKING PULL THEM INTO THE AIR AND SHOOT THEM LIKE I ALWAYS HAVE YOU DO." or when I've got an ally that's got Biotic or Tech abilities, yet they just sit there shooting.

I mean, I completely understand that not every Shepard and party will be the same, so it's kinda hard to tailor cutscenes for every class and party composition, but my god, so many "THEY'RE GETTING AWAY NURRRR -Pew pew Miss miss-" -CoughKAIcoughFUCKINGLENGcoughcough- scenarios could have been avoided by Shep/Party using their abilities.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Matthewmagic said:
Madoka Magica: All of it, when you learn what Homaru's power is, you wonder how she ever failed to complete her goal. It is kinda ridiculous. She should be able to do it one hundred times over before anyone can figure out WTF is going on.
She did. It showed some of it in the series. The creator came out a month or two ago and said she repeated the same month for 8 years prior to the series. 8 years (96 or so times). 8 years of reliving the same month, seeing that no matter what choice you make the ending is inevitable and watching the one you are sacrificing everything to try and save dying (or worse). Homura has some serious mental fortitude.

DarthAcerbus

Jan 25, 2010
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...
That isn't "forgetting" about the sword. Pacific Rim is basically a mech anime made real In mech anime, there are certain things that Are Not Done. One of those things is using the swor at the beginning of the fight. The sword is only used at the most dire moment/when it would be coolest.

And really, any complaints about logic holes in Pacific Rim are best answered with "Shut up, this is a movie about giant robots punching godzillas from another dimension."

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
DarthAcerbus said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...
That isn't "forgetting" about the sword. Pacific Rim is basically a mech anime made real In mech anime, there are certain things that Are Not Done. One of those things is using the swor at the beginning of the fight. The sword is only used at the most dire moment/when it would be coolest.

And really, any complaints about logic holes in Pacific Rim are best answered with "Shut up, this is a movie about giant robots punching godzillas from another dimension."
Forgot about her power to freeze time buddy. Like when modoka threw the soul gem off the bus. Or when Cube first appered. All excellent chances to freeze time and take care of the problem. Cube should have never reached modoka, he/she should have become swiss cheese a second after showing up each time.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Thomas Barnsley said:
Tom_green_day said:

That damned sword...
You`re right, they should have used that sword in the city against the winged one and poisoned the entire place because the Kaiju`s blood is extremely toxic, and the city would then be uninhabitable for the next couple years (maybe just six months) while they clean it all up, good plan! Maybe they should have used it when fighting the gorilla thing, which would have removed one of their hands, and would have let the gorilla punch them over and over again, if you remember, the reason that the first Kaiju the fight in the movie nearly beat them is because they had only one arm, they were trying to use the plasma cannon with the other which left them open, and in the final part of the movie, using the sword immediately turned out to be a really stupid idea because it left them open.

The sword/cannon isn't something that just instantly kills everything in that movie, you need to use it when your enemy has their guard down, otherwise you get your arm ripped off.