Your Most Hated Interpretation of A Character you like?

Sep 24, 2008
Sometimes, characters you like find themselves in new situations, new media and the like... and you feel like the people who are handling them wrong has no idea what they are doing. The design is off, the characterization is wrong, signs of a complete lack of understanding... This new interpretation should be fixed in your mind.

For me, it's Spiderman in MvC3 and UMvC3.

I don't think he should be top tier, but so many things about what the designers chose to do makes no sense to me. I mean, compare him with Spencer. Spencer has faster mobility and even HITS harder than Spider Man. That makes no sense as Spencer is a regular human and his arm probably could be bent easily by Spiderman. Not to mention that just using his muscles and the speed of his webs, he can cross Manhattan in a matter of minutes.

In fact, most of Spidey's moves and ideas come directly from his use of webs. And for some reason they are painfully slow here. Just a tweak of speed, I'm not even talking damage, even though Spider man has a ton of specialty webs he could use for offense.. but to be able to twhip out his webs at the speed that is common place in most of the media would make him a better character.

And his health. He has super human durability. That is an established power of his. The man takes punches from the Rhino, a 75-100 ton class villain and shrugs it off. But he's literally at the middle of the pack. Don't get me wrong, Nova doesn't belong there either. In fact, with Nova's power set I'd put him maybe two notches below Thor. But to tell me that for some reason the likes of Ryu, Frank West, Captain America, Taskmaster, Chris Redfield... Phoenix Freaking Wright has more stamina than Spiderman?! I don't get it.

I don't know why they messed up Spiderman so much. I would say it was a fundamental lack of knowledge of the character, but given that Marvel had to sign off on it I can't even say that. But that's my gripe. What are some of your most hated iterations of your favorite characters?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Fighting games generally have to commit all sorts of logical fallacies to keep the characters balanced. Hence people being able to beat Majin Buu with Raditz in the DBZ games.

There aren't that many franchises I'm attached enough to cry foul at a new interpretation except for a certain Star Wars EU novel which I shall not deign to mention. All you need to know is that Jaina Solo, the most traditionally heroic of the Solo children who at this point has endured five years of brutal warfare, had romance and seen friends and family die and is 29 years old now was suddenly temporarily reverted to a mental state closer to the average typical teenage girl, as though she'd been spoiled by her parents and never had to lift a finger before. This was done solely to make the people she was visiting look better and the Jedi in general look stupid. Fortunately, it was just for one book.

SteinarB

Jun 16, 2014
Asclepion said:
The beginning, 500 years ago, on the planet Zeist.
Noooooope. Never happened! LIES! There was only one!

Lalalalalalalalala I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008

I've always hated this interpretation of Samus. I knew exactly what was going to happen to the franchise as soon as I saw this. There will never be another great Metroid like Super Metroid now that the focus has shifted.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
tf2godz said:
I have one answer that tops all others.

/thread
Oh God! That made me laugh so hard.

On a similar note, there was a Batman from before Adam West's goofy Batman show (nananana BATMAN). It's not really fair to say that he's a poor interpretation of Batman considering when this was made (1943), just far less awesome than any of the Batmen that came afterwards. Basically, he worked for the government during World War 2. The only thing that really made this guy Batman was his batsuit, which was nothing more than a costume. He had no gadgets, no batmobile, he could barely hold his own against regular thugs, and he got captured and rescued way too often. If only they knew what potential this caped hero had back then.

Here's a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_%28serial%29

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Roland Emmerich's Godzilla. Betrayed literally everything the character stood for.
/thread

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Is this solely limited to official works?

Because Touhou fans are absolute experts at ruining the characters just to make them fit their personal headcanon. You could argue that all fandoms do this, but the Touhou fandom is the absolute worst with it. Probably because Touhou lore as a whole is a bit on the vague side, but the way fans just completely disregard canon because it's not as they imagined it is...rather astonishing.

Here's how it works:
1. You take a character who has some established character traits.
2. You do away with pesky things like "depth" and "canon", pick out the specific traits you need and blow them out of proportion.
3. Done!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Okay, let's talk about one of my favourite comics and one of favourite comic book characters.
Zorglub. A (more or less) villain from the Franco-Belgian 'Spirou et Fantasio' comics, a scientist who is more oblivious than evil (Not that he doesn't do horrible things, such as kidnapping and brainwashing people) probably bipolar or at least depressed, megalomaniacal and yet has low self-esteem.

That's the album where Zorglub originally appears, and in my opinion it stands very well on its own. Not that I don't also like L'ombre du Z by the same creator, and I don't even have issues with Panade à Champignac where he is just turned into a joke...
But it seems like no-one can write him anymore?
I only really consider Franquin's work 'canon' when it comes to 'Spirou et Fantasio', but Fournier, for all his faults at least wrote him well.

But after him, it's like every writer just wants to ignore the character-development he went through and turn him into a villain. And wreck his friendship with the Count of Champignac. Tome & Janry wanted to make Zorglub a cool villain who took over Cuba or something before that album got axed, Morvan & Munuera introduced a horrible love triangle with a horrible mary Sue and now Yoann & Vehlmann turned him villain again in a way that made zero sense,they had to write the Count especially out of character to make him an asshole towards Zorglub to give him a reason to become evil.

And once he goes evil he just goes full villain mode. This is so stupid.
I just want the writers to stay away from Zorglub and especially his bromance with the count because they can't write it apparently.

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU MAD AT HIM?????

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
sageoftruth said:
tf2godz said:

/thread

On a similar note, there was a Batman from before Adam West's goofy Batman show (nananana BATMAN). It's not really fair to say that he's a poor interpretation of Batman considering when this was made (1943), just far less awesome than any of the Batmen that came afterwards. Basically, he worked for the government during World War 2. The only thing that really made this guy Batman was his batsuit, which was nothing more than a costume. He had no gadgets, no batmobile, he could barely hold his own against regular thugs, and he got captured and rescued way too often. If only they knew what potential this caped hero had back then.

Here's a link
no, asbar batman is far worse. At least those batmans are still heroes. asbar batman kidnaps children, kills cops, and at one point talks about using green lantern's ring to make people do what he wants them to do.

Don't take my word for it go watch linkara's review of the first 9 issues.
http://blip.tv/at4w/at4w-all-star-batman-and-robin-1-2-2846998

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
tf2godz said:

/thread
Wait, I'm confused. I thought that was the BEST interpretation of batman? You know, the one who basically dicked over green lantern whilst drinking lemonade, and didn't give a shit about 'rights' that protected villains?

On topic: The dreadful watchmen prequels ruined Rorschach in more ways than i can count: Went from having a strange kind of sophistication to just sounding like a street punk (complete with odd swear attempts), was way too emotional, and got his ass handed to him by a single guy who seemed to know some kung fu (now granted, he's wasn't a powerhouse in watchmen, but he was supposed to have some fighting skills.)

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Lobo the whole taking him from being the main man to whatever that abomination is in 52 is horrible

Fuck making him sympathetic or skinny he needs to be the MAIN MAN.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Varanfan9 said:
Roland Emmerich's Godzilla. Betrayed literally everything the character stood for.
/thread
oh, forgot about the piece of shit movie that only had zilla in it and had the balls to call itself Godzilla. at least we got an ok cartoon series out of it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I didn't like the portrayal of Jessica Atreides in the orignal 1980ish Dune movie. They made her way more weak and useless than she actually was. Hell at one point she actually breaks down in a sobbing fit of tears....that's just NOT what Lady Jessica did.

Contrarily, in the SCI FI channel mini series, they did a REALLY good job with her, making her strong and powerful like I remember her, but then they went and screwed up Paul, making him a whiney, spoiled rich kid, which again isn't how he was in the books.

I also didn't like the SCI FI channel's version of Duke Leto Atreides. The actor who played him is....almost infamous for having like zero emotional range, and acting as if he is about to fall asleep from a bout of chronic narcolepsy.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Hikaru Shidou from the Rayearth TV series. Now, many of the characters in Rayearth were poorly handled for the tv series, and technically Hikaru was being boosted as the main character, but a lot of the episodes centered around her really did not serve her well (including one that borderline comes across as torturing her for much of its runtime), and the writing just made her loud and stubborn and 'never giving up'. She loses a lot of charm from the manga, and just becomes obnoxious (not helped by my favorite character, Fuu, being handed the distress and idiot balls a lot to big Hikaru up) and actively gets given one of Umi's best moments from the manga for no real reason (yes, Umi gets to reclaim it in a later episode, but Hikaru makes sure to remind us she did it first).

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
tf2godz said:
sageoftruth said:
tf2godz said:

/thread

Here's a link
no, asbar batman is far worse. At least those batmans are still heroes. asbar batman kidnaps children, kills cops, and at one point talks about using green lanterns to make people do what he wants them to do.

Don't take my word for it go watch linkara's review of the first 9 issues.
http://blip.tv/at4w/at4w-all-star-batman-and-robin-1-2-2846998
Good God! That must have killed the Dark Age of comics in one fell swoop.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
everyone in the green lantern movie, but particularly paralax. "er i'm stumped by a small building despite destroying whole planets earlier er."