Your most Unpopular Media Opinion

Sep 24, 2008
altnameJag said:
I prefer the word of god explanation that most Saiyans, Goku included, just don't have the concept of family. Vegeta does, because ruling class passed down by familial lines, but Goku views Chichi as a really good friend who he's roommates with and will do the sex with him.

This is, apparently, a common Saiyan thing. I also find it hilarious.
Which is also true. As we know with the Saiyan race, they send their babies out to conquer worlds.

But you always have to realize that Goku is still played up to be extraordinarily slower than everyone else. While a Mulligan could be called the fact that the Saiyan way of life doesn't have that much interest in family unless you're apart of the Elite, his entire personality changed from a headblow. Once cunning and ruthless, he's now simple and easy going.

In short, The Saiyan idea of family does not answer for his overall slowness.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Hades said:
Chimpzy said:
Hades said:
Sticking with Star Wars I'm also not entirely impressed with Darth Vader. I really like his design and the presence he commands on screen but as a combatant Vader doesn't come across as particularly top tier. Force lightning is supposed to shut down his armor so any halfway decent Sith can take him out and if Windu and Yoda can defeat the stronger Palpatine or fight him to a standstill then we know he lags behind the most powerful Jedi as well.
IIRC, there was something in the old Star Wars EU about him getting triple amputated and burned to a crisp and then turned into a cyborg on life support severely nerfing his power. Something about being mostly machine hindering his connection to the Force, similar to how Droids can't use it all. Beside Vader getting old, it's the reason Palpatine wanted to seduce Luke to the Dark Side: all the raw power daddy had in his prime, but in a young and unblemished package (save for one hand).

Although the actual irl reason is more than likely that the costume is too cumbersome to move around in, even for someone strong and fit like David Prowse.
I think that came from Lucas himself rather than the EU. Something about Vader having about 80% of Palpatines power but that he would have been twice as powerful as his masters if he hadn't suffered his injuries.
Well, if you start to think about Vader as an evil, futuristic wheel chair sporting cripple you may appreciate more, that despite all of the disabling injuries he suffered he isn't dead or in vegetative state but actually pretty proficient at what he does (all other competition is either dead or hiding/untrained anyway).
Advanced suit that allows him to function physically aside. He has to mentally endure, that he is a crisp of bacon slapped on a robot suit, humiliated & fried by his jedi master, kept like a pet and humiliated by his current sith master/owner. All the while he used to be the chosen one and 'saviour' of galaxy in the past, hero of the republic, favourite of the most powerful people in galaxy and in general someone who people were looking up to. Best part of SW thou is that it doesn't disect, focus on or over analyze that aspect of Vader. It just shows his actions and consequences, past and present. And by action he is a cruel, grim, murderous figure in Empire, feared by all. Nobody ponders his vurnabilities or motives, nobody sees him as a person beside Luke, up until his shell cracks open at the very end and you can see the insides.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I actually fucking love the JJ Abrams 'Kelvin Timeline' Star Trek movies. They're not perfect movies and they do diverge from the tone of the old TV series, true. But taken as movies with limited connection, given the alternative timeline business, they're still in my opinion really damn enjoyable sci-fi movies.

Yes, even Into Darkness.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
CoCage said:
Vrex360 said:
CoCage said:
Agreed to most of that, but I feel Sarkeesian is a mediocre critic. Her episodes about Bayonetta and the Powerpuff Girls being the highlight of why I avoided her videos. What didn't help was more of criticism came off as really opinionated, a case of stating the obvious, and some moments where she did not back up her facts or pay attention to whatever she was criticizing.
Well I mean hey I never said she was perfect. But then again I've yet to meet a critic that I agree with 100% about anything. But yeah sometimes she sensationalized and read too deeply into stuff, and sometimes she really could have phrased her stuff a bit better though honestly it was pretty bare bones stuff at its core.

Also there were cases of times where she did take peoples gameplay footage from different YouTube videos without giving them credit nor permission of using them. So she is guilty of plagiarism,
I mean yeah that's true but like I really don't think it mattered that much in the grand scheme of things. Like yeah she should have done that but compared to the shit people threw at her for almost five straight years, including straight up trying to bullshit a reason to arrest her for treason it was pretty petty. Just people frantically trying to find something she is guilty of and overhyping it to hell when they find it no matter how petty it was.

While oblivious to how toxic they had actually gotten to the rest of the world that them shouting 'aha! Anita is a plagarist, kind of, she's pure evil just like we said!' had become almost the equivalent of a violent serial rapist and murderer declaring: 'Hey look at this monster who shoplifted a candy bar! She's a menace to society I tells you!'

Like people who were opposed to Anita got away with worse shit then that.

but with that said, she did not deserve all of the harassment as that just gave her more attention than Sarkeesian deserved.
Exactly, though I would argue her getting all the attention was a net positive in only for the fact that it blew up spectacularly in the faces of the idiots harassing her.

As for GB (2016) it was average at best, but once again, the harassment was unnecessary and not worth hurting others over a goddamned movie! Jesus Christ, I get not wanting to remake good movies, but nobody blew a casket this big when studios were remaking horror films left and right, so what made Ghostbusters so special? (No need to answer that, rhetorical question.)
Yeah I think everyone knows the real reason why this particular remake was so reviled. It was the same reason people got really shitty about Mad Max.

Sony suffered anyway as it didn't perform like they wanted. Them spending so much money on all that advertising did not help themselves in the slightest. So that's on them alone.
I mean like the first trailer I saw was really bad, like it was garbage but I still can't believe it got the response it did. I wanted to call it out as badly paced and unfunny but I didn't want to seem like I was part of the crowd of open misogynists who flooded the youtube comments.

P.S - Extreme GHostbusters gave me what I wanted anyway over 20 years ago that the remake did not.
Was that the one with Kylie? And the wheelchair guy? I remember that one, it was pretty intense and at least one episode really did scare the hell out of me.
It was certainly the only 90's cartoon with EXTREME in the title that doesn't make you want to gag.
Yes. Roland (voiced by Alphonso), Garrett (wheelchair guy), Eduardo, and Kylie.

If anything, I would have preferred an adaption of these Ghostbusters .
Fuck, that would have saved Sony so many headaches its not funny. Obviously Winston or Ray would have to be the ones leading the new crew after the sad passing of Harold Ramis, but otherwise they would have been fine.

BaronVonVaderHam

Jan 17, 2018
A lot of Joss Whedon's stuff is over-rated.
Deadpool has gotten annoying and over saturated. and unfortunately I see Rick and Morty going down the same path.
Green Lantern the movie and Justice League aren't as bad as people make them out to be-(certainly flawed -just not the garbage people say they are)
I've never liked Mickey Mouse as a character.

I hate the phrase "The best show/game your not watching/playing." Those usually turn out to be bad.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
ObsidianJones said:
Stop hating on a person who's been shown to have untreated mental issues.
But the show itself treats him as unassailable in his decision-making, not the victim of brain-damage. Decisions like giving a genetically-engineered genocidal monster a 100% hp-replenishing-sensu-bean right before it fights his teenage son in a battle to the death.

Aside from knocking loose the programming his brain had, I don't think the series actually implies he continues to suffer any lingering effects. Rather my takeaway is that the head injury just allowed his default personality to emerge.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Very specific one that's on my mind: In the anime series Bleach I actually really like the existence of the 'Bount Arc' filler. It's arguably the only time I can think of where a filler arc makes sense. Without it the show goes right from 'Aizen is revealed as villain' to 'Aizen begins epic master-plan that he's apparently been setting up and had ready to go all along' and it stretches some level of credulity. With the Bount Arc in place not only does it give some space to breath and provide a time gap for Aizen to get all the pieces in place to the degree that he has them when the Arrancar arc starts, but it also helps ease the transition in how the Soul Society is cast. In the Invasion Arc they're the enemy force by default, opposing and fighting our heroes. Then the Arrancar Arc starts and they're all on-side as good guys. The Bount Arc gives us a chance to see them as good guys before they're thrown into massive plot arc shenanigans, let's us see them versus another outside enemy and allows them to cooperate with the human heroes before suddenly turning up to work with them out of the blue at the beginning of the Arrancar arc.

I mean I will still usually skip watching it for the sake of time, but it's not inherently bad and I can appreciate it's place.

Sep 24, 2008
jademunky said:
ObsidianJones said:
But the show itself treats him as unassailable in his decision-making, not the victim of brain-damage. Decisions like giving a genetically-engineered genocidal monster a 100% hp-replenishing-sensu-bean right before it fights his teenage son in a battle to the death.

Aside from knocking loose the programming his brain had, I don't think the series actually implies he continues to suffer any lingering effects. Rather my takeaway is that the head injury just allowed his default personality to emerge.
To be fair, everyone has those stupid moments in the show. Cell wouldn't be Perfect Cell if Vegeta didn't let his ego run wild and just taken the victory.

Trunks could have killed Cell at any time when he was Semi Perfect, but he held back for fear of upsetting is father.

Krillin is semi excusable, but he had a hard on for a robot woman that he didn't know and wanted to kill his best friend.

Out of everyone, Goku is actually the least selfish. Because of Chichi's raising and the timidness of the boy, Goku realized Gohan would need something to prove to himself that he could take over as the guardian of the earth.

Honestly, I think Goku stepped into the ring first specifically to see Cell's power level. Goku easily realized that Gohan had more than what it took to beat Cell, as shown as when he kicked Cell so hard that he threw up Android 18.

Simply put, Goku knew that if he continued to save the earth, Gohan would never take himself seriously enough to by the hero the world will need.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Ok, let's do this:

[li]MOBAs are white-hot trash[/li]
[li]The original Star Trek series is fucking awful[/li]
[li]Classic Doctor Who isn't much better. In some instances, it's worse. (see: The Candy Man. Yes, that was a thing.)[/li]
[li]Star Trek: TNG has high points, but seems to vary between awesome and terrible on an episode-by-episode basis[/li]
[li]Batman Returns is a shit movie[/li]
[li]Half-Life 2 is a great tech demo. The rest of the game is good, but not "BEST GAEM EVAR" material[/li]
[li]Super Mario Sunshine is terrible[/li]
[li]Pokemon and Kirby are bland and boring[/li]
[li]James Bond is a terrible series[/li]
[li]Toto are an awful band[/li]

Yeah, I bath in pain. But since I am required by Escapist law to have some positive opinions...

[li]Civilization V is a game that I find much better than IV[/li]
[li]The Terminator is the best film in the series[/li]
[li]Sonic 3D Blast is actually pretty fun[/li]
[li]The Saturn is a good system[/li]
[li]Jak & Daxter will always be my favorite PS2 platformer[/li]
[li]Halo: Reach is the best Halo game[/li]

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
ObsidianJones said:
jademunky said:
ObsidianJones said:

To be fair, everyone has those stupid moments in the show. Cell wouldn't be Perfect Cell if Vegeta didn't let his ego run wild and just taken the victory.

Trunks could have killed Cell at any time when he was Semi Perfect, but he held back for fear of upsetting is father.

Krillin is semi excusable, but he had a hard on for a robot woman that he didn't know and wanted to kill his best friend.

Out of everyone, Goku is actually the least selfish. Because of Chichi's raising and the timidness of the boy, Goku realized Gohan would need something to prove to himself that he could take over as the guardian of the earth.

Honestly, I think Goku stepped into the ring first specifically to see Cell's power level. Goku easily realized that Gohan had more than what it took to beat Cell, as shown as when he kicked Cell so hard that he threw up Android 18.

Simply put, Goku knew that if he continued to save the earth, Gohan would never take himself seriously enough to by the hero the world will need.
All that's the reason I don't think Goku is dumb. Ignorant, sure, but not stupid. He's just been getting into "fate of the world" deathmatches every couple of years since he was 12. That's gonna skew your priorities something fierce.

Baring a super basic primer from Master Roshi, dude's never had any kind of actual education. And he still managed to learn to drive.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
The prequels are good movies. Not great, but i think they are worthwhile and interesting in their own right, and honestly the original trilogy is placed on way too high a pedestal, even if they are pretty good movies too

Also, George R R Martin is kind of overrated as a writer. A lot of the things he gives other fantasy authors shit for are acutally not only present, but in some cases also prevalent in his own work, and whenever he tries to depict a non-white, non-european culture it ends up being a mess of orientalistic tropes, something that is not at all helped by how close paralells he tries to draw to real history

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Metal Gear Solid 2 is a solid game whose pacing is awful and plot is a fucking mess at the end. Raiden is not nearly as bad as he's often said to be and he's a lot more interesting in MGS2 then the walking DEUS EX MACHINA BREAKDANCING CYBORG MURDER MACHINE he became in MGS4.

OTOH, Rose is really, really obnoxious though and the fact she's apparently Raiden's Perfect GF is kind of disturbing.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ok I am gonna trigger some Westworld fans here, this show is not good. I am dissapointed, I was expecting something interesting but no, I get Blade Runner meets Terminator meets Cowbows and Aliens.

Seriously?! We are doing the whole, "Humans are flawed, Robotic Humans are the futurez." Skynet plot again?!

Honestly this just enforces my belief we should never make Synthetic Humans with self aware A.I.s at all, and I don't care of what value they possess.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Mists of Pandaria was the best time period in World of WarCraft's lifespan, in spite of the stupid pandas.

Alien 3 is a pretty good horror movie. It's not on-par with its predecessors, but it's definitely not deserving of all the crap it gets.

Star Wars would be better if it didn't have the Force or lightsabers. Also, the Y-Wing is cooler than the X-Wing. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I honestly believe Star Wars is only beloved because of Episode V (which I can't deny is a good film). If it weren't for Star Wars Episode V, the whole series would be nothing in the modern day; sure, Episode IV would always have it's place in history (it helped revive the Film Industry, which collapsed in the late 60's), but it's nothing special, and people today would apply 'Seinfeld isn't Funny' to the film.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Rangaman said:
[li]The Saturn is a good system[/li]
Liking the Saturn is an unpopular opinion?

OK, it's not as popular as the PS1/N64 or predecessor Genesis/Mega Drive, nor does it have the cult status of the Dreamcast, but it has its fair share of fans. AFAIK, most of the Saturn-related anger is directed at Sega for badly messing up its chances in myriad ways, not so much the console itself.

Sep 24, 2008

Don did nothing wrong.

I say this while not thinking I would leave my wife behind (here's hoping my wife would be smarter than this), but it's a wildly held belief that men should literally always be ready to throw his life away at a moment's notice.

I admit, yes, the programming has got to me and I can't shake it. I did dumb things during drive bys that a 10 year old shouldn't think was his responsibility. But I realize how fucking dumb and sexist it is. We train men to be disposable, and the punch of this scene is "Look at this coward, he didn't throw his life away. What a non-male."

And I know there's going to be a ton of people who think "It's not about him throwing his life away, it's about him being with his wife." or "They had a responsibility to the kid"

Well, the wife that didn't value his life or safety at that moment as much as she did for the kid's life and safety. The kid didn't value their lives, either. He knew that he didn't know if he could trust them so he hid. As Husband and Wife, they have a responsibility to each other. This isn't the normal world any more. There isn't peace or civility. There are literal fucking monsters. There's waking up the next day and there's not.

Like they said before they let the child in, they had a responsibility to protect those in that house, and they didn't. I don't think Don is a hero, and I still even admit, my programming makes me still label him a coward. But he's a coward with his head on straight about the new rules of the world. I don't begrudge him that.

And before you think I don't value kids, I do. I also believe that if you can't help yourselves, you can't help anyone. They already had two elderly people to care for and a woman who was unhinged who wouldn't accept the fact that her boyfriend was dead. They were already struggling. All they did was kill the house.