Your most Unpopular Media Opinion

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
Guy Pearce is a dedicated actor and a little underutilised in this case. But that's a legitimately more interesting reason than I considered for his curious presence in the film. Must have missed the pre-release promotional material completely there.
The promotional shorts were all pretty good, but the Weyland TED Talk is really the only one that I think is essential to the movie. It's not only outstanding work by Pearce, but it sets up the theme and ties the film's title in really well.

Canadamus Prime said:
I'm not going to fault anyone for enjoying Prometheus, but you do realize that you have a film about a trillion dollar space mission manned by a crew of morons essentially based on cave drawings and blind faith, and helmed by the worst scientists in the history of man. Also it's backed by Mr. Weyland because of the vague promise of extending his life.
I do realize it, and I didn't bother me (well, except for the aforementioned Millburn business with the snake thing). I think the characters acting recklessly and foolishly in Prometheus is a feature, not a bug, as the saying goes. The movie is about people reaching for and misusing power, and then paying the consequences for that behavior (whether it's the human scientists or the engineers who fucked around with the black goo and got wacked by their own creations). Weyland is desperate to extend his life, so he doesn't care how much money he wastes or who is put in danger -- he'll risk it all on a longshot. Shaw and Holloway are desperate to prove their theory and their life's work is correct, and they'll risk life and limb (jumping into an oncoming storm to save a severed engineer head, taking your biosuit helmet off becaue you're SO convinced the engineers are real and breathed oxygen that you'll take that risk) in order to validate that. I'm not saying they're NOT acting stupid -- they are -- I'm saying I understand *why* they're acting stupid, and I think it's in keeping with the theme of the movie.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Canadamus Prime said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Exley97 said:
Ezekiel said:
I liked Prometheus too. More than I liked Blade Runner 2, actually. Makes me wonder what a Scott-directed BR sequel would have been like.
What is happening right now? Am I in the Upside Down? The Dark Mirror universe? Did I jump under my desk for *nothing*? WHERE ARE ALL THE PROMETHEUS HATERS???

Wrex Brogan said:
Exley97 said:
Prometheus is great and is one of the best science fiction movies of the decade.

[ducks under desk]
It wasn't one of the best for me, but I did find myself enjoying it despite how much everyone wanted me to hate it - it had some fuck-ups but also had some solid ideas to it, and I was interested in all the stuff about the Engineers it did.

...the part where the dude who mapped the caverns got lost was a little stupid though, likewise with the dude who saw a penis snake and immediately went 'IMMA TOUCH IT'. Like, I know scientists can get a little excited about their work but come on.
Yup. Despite my love of the film, I totally agree with this. That scene should have worked better, as it was inconsistent with what the movie had already established about Millburn (he wanted to get the F out of there with Fifield). However, I've posted this in another thread here a few months back, but it bears repeating -- there's a scene that was cut from the threatrical version that shows the team when they first arrive inside the structure, and Millburn discovers the bugs/worms/whatever that eventually get mixed with the black goo and become the snakes, and he's super excited because, as the movie explains, it's the first recorded discovery of life outside of earth, and the bugs/worms are totally harmless. So that kind of explains why he would go from scared tosuddenly excited when the snakes show up. In fact, I think during the audio commentary, either Spaights or Lindelof even acknowledges that the snake scene doesn't work because they cut that 30-second or so segement earlier in the movie. Oh well....when Ridley does a Director's Cut of the film in a few years, he can add that back in (and hopefully more of Janek).
I, too, appreciated Prometheus, despite the faults. One thing that annoyed me personally was the young man in old man make-up. It's like the easiest problem to avoid...just cast an old actor! There's no shortage of them! It looks incredibly distracting. But yeah, still good though.

Oh, these guys covered it quite well, explaining more in depth against the online hate it received, while remaining critical;

I'm not going to fault anyone for enjoying Prometheus, but you do realize that you have a film about a trillion dollar space mission manned by a crew of morons essentially based on cave drawings and blind faith, and helmed by the worst scientists in the history of man. Also it's backed by Mr. Weyland because of the vague promise of extending his life.
Well... you kinda are faulting us, aren't you?

I understand, but it doesn't matter, really. I don't want to watch super competent and faultless scientists/heroes making the next great discovery by the book and nerding out spending hours of footage basically doing administration and filling out forms. I want to watch them get killed. Was it silly? Some of it was, sure, absolutely. I can't defend some of the stupid actions that the characters take- Why did the ladies both run in the directional path of the giant rolling alien space-donut? On what world is it cool to try and touch an alien cobra clearly displaying some sort of reactive behavior (even in light of the facts that Exley97 has brought to light regarding a missing sequence)? Even if there is air, what would possess you to take your helmet off? What guarantee did the synthetic have that the alien goo would poison someone- was he childishly jealous of the two doctor's relationship to each other? Who throws a trillion dollars at this sort of enterprise without waaay better protocol?

But I didn't find it boring. I had fun.

EDIT: Arg, Exley97 already typed out a better response.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
the December King said:

I understand, but it doesn't matter, really. I don't want to watch super competent and faultless scientists/heroes making the next great discovery by the book and nerding out spending hours of footage basically doing administration and filling out forms. I want to watch them get killed. Was it silly? Some of it was, sure, absolutely. I can't defend some of the stupid actions that the characters take- Why did the ladies both run in the directional path of the giant rolling alien space-donut? On what world is it cool to try and touch an alien cobra clearly displaying some sort of reactive behavior (even in light of the facts that Exley97 has brought to light regarding a missing sequence)? Even if there is air, what would possess you to take your helmet off? What guarantee did the synthetic have that the alien goo would poison someone- was he childishly jealous of the two doctor's relationship to each other? Who throws a trillion dollars at this sort of enterprise without waaay better protocol?

1. I personally didn't feel like he was faulting fans of the film, and as I stated in the previous post, the characters DID at stupidly -- I just think that was part of the point of the movie.

2. I addressed some of the stupidity in the previous post alread. But about the juggernaut crash and Shaw/Vickers....I thought that 1) the ship was so goddamn huge that they couldn't properly gauge what it was doing/where it was moving at first, and 2) they ran in that direction because if they decided to turn left, for example, and the ship stopped rolling and fell to the left, they were fucked, and vice versa. I mean....the sonofabitch was HUGE [Parker voice] and on the ground, it would have been tough to figure out how wide/tall it was, how fast it was rolling, etc., whereas the audience had the overhead view and could see that, yeah, Vickers was gonna get crushed.

3. Lastly....I've written this before, but what the hell, we're on a roll here -- the questions about Prometheus are absolutely worth asking, but I also think similar questions are worth asking about Alien/Aliens (and the latter is my favorite movie of all time, for the record). For example, why does the flipping science officer of the Nostromo, presumably the best person to investigate an alien spacecraft, stay behind while the captain, first officer and navigator go off to investigate? Why does Ripley go back for her stupid cat? Why does Weyland Yutani tell the Hadley's Hope colony to go check out the Alien ship after Ripley has told them what's inside the ship, and why do they send a mom & pop scouting team WITH THEIR KIDS to check it out (Director's Cut)? Why do they even build a colony on Acheron in the first place if the juggernaut beacon is still active (yes, I know Alien: Isolation addresses this retroactively, but still)? And why oh why do the Colonial F---ing Marines go down to the planet without leaving ANYONE back on the Sulaco in case they need a rescue? Now THAT is fucking stupid....

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
the December King said:
Canadamus Prime said:

EDIT: Arg, Exley97 already typed out a better response.
Well no. If you can enjoy a movie despite it's flaws, then by all means enjoy the movie. I'm not going to tell you you shouldn't. I was just saying that the movie has flaws. Like it's entire setup for example. I will give props to Michael Fassbender for his portrayal of David though. That was the best part of the movie.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Exley97 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I do realize it, and I didn't bother me (well, except for the aforementioned Millburn business with the snake thing). I think the characters acting recklessly and foolishly in Prometheus is a feature, not a bug, as the saying goes. The movie is about people reaching for and misusing power, and then paying the consequences for that behavior (whether it's the human scientists or the engineers who fucked around with the black goo and got wacked by their own creations). Weyland is desperate to extend his life, so he doesn't care how much money he wastes or who is put in danger -- he'll risk it all on a longshot. Shaw and Holloway are desperate to prove their theory and their life's work is correct, and they'll risk life and limb (jumping into an oncoming storm to save a severed engineer head, taking your biosuit helmet off becaue you're SO convinced the engineers are real and breathed oxygen that you'll take that risk) in order to validate that. I'm not saying they're NOT acting stupid -- they are -- I'm saying I understand *why* they're acting stupid, and I think it's in keeping with the theme of the movie.
As I stated Shaw and Holloways theories were based on cave drawings. These dots on a wall just so happen to match up with a star chart, but still could've meant anything. A lot of ancient tribes would navigate by the stars so for all they knew those markings were the guides to an ancient McDonald's. But no, they chose to believe it was space aliens. They even flat out admitted it was merely what they believed. Not a theory, not a hypothesis, a belief. No sane person would fund an expensive space mission based on a belief which is probably why it was funded by a dieing old corporate CEO instead of a government grant or something. Also I don't care how desperate you are, you don't throw proper scientific protocol out the window. "Derr let's run an electrical current through this dead alien head and see what happens." None of the supposed scientists actually behave like scientists. Like Film Brain aka Mathew Buck pointed out it seemed like Ridley Scott was trying to recreate the dynamic of the original Alien, but it doesn't work because these are supposed to be trained scientists not space truckers like in the original Alien.
Also why the hell did they wait to brief everyone until they got there? I would think they'd do that before they left.

EDIT: Pardon the double post. I meant to put both this and my reply to december_king in one post, but I screwed it up.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Exley97 said:
1. I personally didn't feel like he was faulting fans of the film, and as I stated in the previous post, the characters DID at stupidly -- I just think that was part of the point of the movie.

2. I addressed some of the stupidity in the previous post alread. But about the juggernaut crash and Shaw/Vickers....I thought that 1) the ship was so goddamn huge that they couldn't properly gauge what it was doing/where it was moving at first, and 2) they ran in that direction because if they decided to turn left, for example, and the ship stopped rolling and fell to the left, they were fucked, and vice versa. I mean....the sonofabitch was HUGE [Parker voice] and on the ground, it would have been tough to figure out how wide/tall it was, how fast it was rolling, etc., whereas the audience had the overhead view and could see that, yeah, Vickers was gonna get crushed.

3. Lastly....I've written this before, but what the hell, we're on a roll here -- the questions about Prometheus are absolutely worth asking, but I also think similar questions are worth asking about Alien/Aliens (and the latter is my favorite movie of all time, for the record). For example, why does the flipping science officer of the Nostromo, presumably the best person to investigate an alien spacecraft, stay behind while the captain, first officer and navigator go off to investigate? Why does Ripley go back for her stupid cat? Why does Weyland Yutani tell the Hadley's Hope colony to go check out the Alien ship after Ripley has told them what's inside the ship, and why do they send a mom & pop scouting team WITH THEIR KIDS to check it out (Director's Cut)? Why do they even build a colony on Acheron in the first place if the juggernaut beacon is still active (yes, I know Alien: Isolation addresses this retroactively, but still)? And why oh why do the Colonial F---ing Marines go down to the planet without leaving ANYONE back on the Sulaco in case they need a rescue? Now THAT is fucking stupid....
1. I wasn't taking direct offense. I also realize that the characters were acting dumb. And though I didn't arrive at exactly the same conclusion as yourself, as I focused more on the visuals and just enjoyed the ride, your take-away still resonates with me..

2. The crash- yes, you raise a good point. We were privy to angles at several times during that sequence that provided the illusion that it was a simple matter to avoid the falling vessel. Which, would actually be ridiculous and panicked, as it kinda was.

3. I'll not get into these points you've made, as nostalgia has enhanced my appreciation of these flaws (though, I did think the colony on LV-426 was allowed to proceed because the company wanted the alien to receive viable hosts- and I haven't played Alien:Isolation to any great degree, as I've been too poor to play much AAA fare for a while now).

EscapistAccount

Aug 18, 2017
Ezekiel said:
WY didn't send them. That was Burke acting on his own. He wanted the fame and fortune. Which is why he was so nervous when Ripley threatened to expose him. He was just sent because it was an expensive colony. The WY execs didn't believe Ripley. They went with their kids because they weren't told what they were searching for.
THIS!!!

Oh my god thank you!!!

I'm not blaming the person you're replying to but in Aliens it isn't Wayland Yutani that's sending colonists into the ship to try and get infected, it's Carter Burke. Wayland Yutani don't know or believe that the alien ship and the eggs are real, the idea of getting colonists infected and recovering a sample is from Burke because it'd be 'worth billions to the bioweapon industry', much as WY are portrayed as the typical evil corporation in pop culture as far as I can tell they're not actually involved at a corporate level at all. I also don't think Burke had any intention of turning the sample over to the company, from what you can infer from the film Wayland Yutani is a terraforming and energy supply company, they almost certainly don't have a bioweapons division so his buyer is probably another company.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zhukov said:
*cracks knuckles*

Warhammer, both fantasy and 40K but especially the latter, is a miserable waste of its few good ideas.

All that potential and all they can do with it is frantically jerk off the various super-soldiers with Super Special Weapons.

Also, the fluff is garbage written largely (if not entirely) by people who couldn't make it as authors in their own right.
Clearly you have never read Skarsnik :p

But yeah that's what happens when you have a revolving door of writers, Comic Books are guilty of this tenfold.

But as for my unpopular opinion, I think Blade Runner is not only Overrated, but just plain bad and other Sci-Fi even of its own genre of Cyberpunk already exceeded Blade Runner.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
OK.... let's get really unpopular.

Rick and Morty is aimlessly overrated and shrivels in comnparison to many other 201X Cartoons.
Legend of Korra was a pretty good continuation of the first series.
Fallout 4 is better then what most people shout about.
Frank Herberts Dune is a more dull read then any other book I own; where I desperadly want the bad guy to win.
Social Media is the plague of our time, that we know no one can get rid of.
Game of Thrones is just The Bold and the Beautiful in a fantasy setting with more death.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Mulholland Drive sucks

Flashpoint is overrated

Spider-Man: Homecoming was underwhelming and okay at best.

Batman Forever is probably my favorite of the 1989-1997 live action Batman films. (Note: its not my favorite Batman film or live action Batman film, but mainly from that period.)

I don't like the first Mad Max

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Hawki said:
Most unpopular eh? Hmm...Okay. Here's one...

The Empire Strikes Back is the weakest Star Wars OT film.
That's cool. I find the Force Awakens my 2nd favorite Star Wars film and love it

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
Hawki said:

That's cool. I find the Force Awakens my 2nd favorite Star Wars film and love it
None of the Star Wars movies were good, the Expanded Universe stories of Star Wars that have nothing to do with the Skywalker movies are vastly superior.

Best one of all is the Old Republic Era and SWTOR perfectly captures what Star Wars should be:

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
Hawki said:

None of the Star Wars movies were good, the Expanded Universe stories of Star Wars that have nothing to do with the Skywalker movies are vastly superior.

Best one of all is the Old Republic Era and SWTOR perfectly captures what Star Wars should be:

The MMORPG was fine I guess and I was kinda disappointed with the Old Republic books. Revan sucked, Deceived was alright I guess, Annihilation I kinda liked and Fatal Alliance was kinda mediocre imo.

Personally my favorite part of the EU was Star Wars: Legacy. That was an amazing comic run by John Ostrander.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
Hawki said:

The MMORPG was fine I guess and I was kinda disappointed with the Old Republic books. Revan sucked, Deceived was alright I guess, Annihilation I kinda liked and Fatal Alliance was kinda mediocre imo.

Personally my favorite part of the EU was Star Wars: Legacy. That was an amazing comic run by John Ostrander.
I just mean the overall "War" feel of the game especially the potrayal of the Republic/Jedi vs the Empire/Sith.

It just feels more intreaguing and more "War" than how say the Original Trilogy portrays its war between the Empire and the Rebellion.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Liked the new Ghost Busters, hated Rogue 1. It's not that uncommon an opinion, unless you have my circle of friends.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
I don't care for Shadow of the Colossus.

For a while my opinion of it was "foaming at the mouth hatred" but only because I'd been pushed there by people who wouldn't hear an unkind word about the game and told me to go back to Halo if SotC's depth scared me so bad (except I don't like Halo either). But after some time away from people like that, plus playing a game so godawful I don't even want to name it making me look back on several other game's I'd slagged off, including SotC, and think "I was being way too hard on that game" I look at it as an ambitious idea that just didn't work.

For starters, I think it looks like shit. Granted, I can see how the game could have been pretty if they'd spent more time and system resources getting the grids off everything instead of seeing how high they could crank the bloom. Also, I felt like most of my conflict in the game was not with the colossi, but the camera that prioritizes epic angles that look great in screenshots over letting you tell what the fuck you're doing.

As for the game itself, I spent the entire time playing it feeling like it was trying to manipulate me. First it dumps this "our hero is sad and trying to revive his dead girlfriend who was non-specifically sacrificed, FEEL FOR HIM AND HIS LOVE!" Why? The kid has all the personality of a dial tone and the colossi are nonthreatening, so why should I give a crap about him or his plight?

Wait, did I just call the colossi "nonthreatening"? Why yes! First, the game has regenerating health. Why should I feel at all threatened by these things when if I ever take damage from one, I can park the wanderer in an area where it can't get to him so he can suck his thumb while I leaf through the manual of another game? Except for that second lion boss that'll pin you in a corner, tackle you to the ground, then tackle you again just as soon as you stand up. He can kiss my ass.

Second, only two displayed any intelligence beyond a robot programmed to either piddle around and maybe take a swipe at the punk trying to climb it, or "DESTROY! DESTROY!", and they were both killed by something out of a Tom and Jerry sketch.

And third, huge bosses are a staple of video games, so meh. And even on the scale of some of these things, the biggest boss I've seen in a video game is the first boss of MDK2, and as a bonus it doesn't choke the PS2's framerate in the Armageddon version.

"Well, maybe they weren't intended to be intimidating so you'd feel like you were stabbing animals that were minding their own business". Again, far as I was concerned I was stabbing robots. Real animals wouldn't try to shake the wanderer off in such rhythmic intervals, and would take more drastic measures to get rid of him such as staying underwater or scraping him off on a cliff. But on top of being a ***** to program, if they had any preservation instinct they'd be unkillable, screwing over the whole "video game" aspect.

So, okay, let's look at the colossi strictly as video game boss battles; they're irritating. Granted, most of my aggro fighting these things was coming from the camera constantly ripping control from me. But most of the fights felt like they were testing not my intelligence or skill, but my patience. The sea serpent that circles around a lake occasionally skimming the surface, but the depth perception is so screwy I could never quite tell where it was surfacing and you have to avoid its lightning spikes, so it takes forever to finally get on the damn thing (and once you finally get on, stab out its lightning spikes, and reach the head it'll submerge, forcing you to do this all over again. Then, funnily enough, it lets you kill it the second time). The salamander in the colosseum, where you have to shoot it off the wall and run down some stairs five times to finally deplete its health (though I guess if you just jump down you can take it out in three, since the regenerating health negates the fall damage). Or the sky dragon that tunnels underground every time you stab out one of its three weak points, so you have to bring it down three times for no reason. Another game would make it harder to bring it down the second and third time, but no, just shoot it down the same way three times, because wasting the player's time is the same as challenging them.

tldr: The game's intentions were getting in each other's way.

And the best thing about being told "You just don't get it" is people then coming out to say "It's deliberately vague because you're supposed to take the elements and come up with your own story." Okay, how the hell can anyone "not get it" if you're supposed to interpret it however you want.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
Exley97 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
As I stated Shaw and Holloways theories were based on cave drawings. These dots on a wall just so happen to match up with a star chart, but still could've meant anything. A lot of ancient tribes would navigate by the stars so for all they knew those markings were the guides to an ancient McDonald's. But no, they chose to believe it was space aliens. They even flat out admitted it was merely what they believed. Not a theory, not a hypothesis, a belief. No sane person would fund an expensive space mission based on a belief which is probably why it was funded by a dieing old corporate CEO instead of a government grant or something. Also I don't care how desperate you are, you don't throw proper scientific protocol out the window. "Derr let's run an electrical current through this dead alien head and see what happens." None of the supposed scientists actually behave like scientists. Like Film Brain aka Mathew Buck pointed out it seemed like Ridley Scott was trying to recreate the dynamic of the original Alien, but it doesn't work because these are supposed to be trained scientists not space truckers like in the original Alien.
Also why the hell did they wait to brief everyone until they got there? I would think they'd do that before they left.

EDIT: Pardon the double post. I meant to put both this and my reply to december_king in one post, but I screwed it up.
Sorry, getting to this a bit late...and please apologize the snark.
1. I know they're basing their *belief* on *cave drawings* because the movie SAYS that, and the characters are in fact called out on it (by the late duo of Fifield and Millburn). Again, I'm not saying they're NOT reaching, or they're NOT acting foolishly. I just think that's part of the point of the movie. They're obsessed, and obsessed people do foolish things.
2. Pretty sure it's NOT a map to McDonalds. I think you're underselling this a bit, especially since they explain the acient civilizations that had the pictogram were separated "by centuries" and had no recorded contact with one another.
3. On your "no sane person" point -- that's exactly what I'm saying. Weyland is obsessed with extending his life and he doesn't care how far he has to go.
4. You're saying that no scientist would ever break scientific protocol *in movies*, which feels a tad unreasonable and austere (I hae to imagine that scientists do in fact make mistakes, act recklessly and occasionally break protocol even in this day and age). And yes, I've heard all of the "Space truckers can act stupid, but scientists can't" arguments/videos/memes, and I have no issue with you or anyone else applying the Neil deGrasse Tyson approach to this movie. Fine. But I think that's a little over the top, and I'm not sure why we don't have videos and memes questioning why other professions act stupidly and break their respective protocols in movies so often.
5. To your point on the briefing, it's never explained in the movie but I assume that Weyland wanted to keep the mission a secret so he could monopolize whatever he found, and the team members besides Shaw and Holloway who had no idea what the mission was about probably went along with it because they were paid a hell of a lot (Fifield alludes to this in his comment about being there "for money") and...maybe they probably weren't the world's best scientists either. That's a guess on my part, of course. I'm not sure how many field or subject matter experts would agree to such a mission, shrouded in secrecy, millions of miles away to an unknown destination, so maybe these guys were the B team. Again, it's just a guess.