Your most Unpopular Media Opinion

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
People have started to leave more than one unpopular opinion per thread, so okay, I'll chip in:

-The Game of Thrones TV series might be better than the books (hard to say, but I feel books 4 and 5 bogged down a lot, whereas the TV show, at the least, is much better paced).

-Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is a good game, and the #2 Advance Wars game at that.

-Adventure Time is hot garbage and I won't be sad to see it go.

-Avatar: The Last Airbender (the film) isn't a bad film. It's a bog standard average one that barely leaves any impact, and is a pale imitation when compared to the cartoon, but it isn't outright bad.

-Avatar (the James Cameron movie) is a very good movie that if anything, subverts cliche.

-Battlefield Earth (the movie) likewise isn't a bad movie, just a very flawed one. I admittedly still enjoyed it, even if some of its plot points are outright bonkers.

-Battlestar Galactica (reboot series) had a good ending and a good final season. While Season 4 is the worst season, its flaws are more due to pacing than its plot points.

-Captain Planet and the Planeteers hasn't aged particuarly well, but it deserves better than to be the laughing stock of the cartoon world. It has its heart in the right place, and isn't as preachy as people make it out to be.

-Red Alert 3>Red Alert 2 (for Command and Conquer)

-Diablo III is the best Diablo game.

-Doom 3 is the best Doom game.

-The Expanse novels are pretty lacklustre.

-Half-Life 2 is...fine. It's enjoyable. It's a net positive. But it isn't the masterpiece so many claim it to be.

-Halo 5 is a good game, better than Halo 4 and even Halo 2.

-Indiana Jones is overrated.

-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is overrated. While I won't deny its influence, it's easily superseeded by games such as Minish Cap, and most of all, A Link Between Worlds.

-The Jackson Hobbit films are good. Not nearly as good as the Lord of the Rings films, but still good at the end of the day.

-The MCU...isn't that great.

-The Matrix: Reloaded is a good movie. Not as good as the original, but still good (I'm inclined to defend Revolutions as well, but that's just average.

-Super Metroid is a good game, but Zero Mission and Fusion are better.

-Pan (the movie) is enjoyable, warts and all.

-Prince of Persia is the best videogame adaptation movie (sorry Mortal Kombat).

-The Freelancer saga of Red vs. Blue is garbage. The series should have ended with season 5, or season 8 at the very least. The series worked much better as a comedy than a drama, and Monty, while I hate to speak ill of the dead, did a number on the series, putting an emphasis on spectacle over writing.

-Regular Show is just "meh."

-Resident Evil 5 is a good game. Bit too actiony, but still good.

-The Inheritance Cycle gets too much flak. Eragon (the book) is derivative, but its sequels improve in terms of plot, worldbuilding, and writing. Not a fantasy masterpiece, but not creatively bankrupt.

-Shannara was never good. Sword of Shannara is riffing off Lord of the Rings, but while the books get more original afterwards, they never enter "good" territory, but stay in pulp fantasy territory.

-The Simpsons didn't magically just stop being good at 'The Principal and the Pauper' (I'm actually inclined to defend that episode). It's long past its golden years, but there's still good to be had post season 9, even though it doesn't reach the same highs of its early seasons.

-StarCraft II>StarCraft I

-Stargate: Universe>Stargate: Atlantis

-Star Trek as a franchise is overrated.

-Terminator: Salvation & Terminator: Genisys are good films. Not nearly as good as T1/T2, but still good. And by extension, T3 is the weakest Terminator film.

-Tron: Legacy>Tron Vanilla (though they're pretty comparable, they have different strengths and weaknesses)

-Warhammer Fantasy Battle>Warhammer 40,000 (as a setting)

-Alien 3 and Alien: Covenant are good films, albiet not as good as Alien/Aliens.

-Aliens: Colonial Marines is a good game.

-Law and Order is "bleh."

-Arrow>The Flash (for the TV series).

-The Star Wars prequels are net positives, with Revenge being pretty damn good. Not nearly as good as the OT, but there's far more to them than Disney's offerings (as an aggregate, my Star Wars film rankings mix and mesh).

I'm sure there's others I can think of, but they're the ones off the top of my head.

Silentpony said:
Hawki said:
Most unpopular eh? Hmm...Okay. Here's one...

The Empire Strikes Back is the weakest Star Wars OT film.
Interesting opinion. Why so?
Oh, so we get to ask the hows and whys here? Excellent. I can now grill everyone. ^_^

But as for my opinion here...well, here's the thing. Empire doesn't really have any major flaws in the same way that, say, Phantom or Clones has, and it's arguably a less flawed movie than Jedi. However, I do have the following gripes with the movie:

-Tone. Now, this isn't a bad thing in of itself, and is purely in the realm of subjectivity, but looking at the OT as a whole, Empire's tone feels out of place next to Hope and Jedi. It's darker, more militaristic, and less 'classical.' As in, Hope feels like an adventure story, one with space wizards and moon-sized space stations. Empire...doesn't. Many people love Empire for it, but for me personally, while not bad, it feels out of place in the context of its trilogy. And on the topic, I don't get it when people say that Empire is morally ambiguous. Um, how? The Empire's still clearly the bad guys here.

-Effects. Very minor point, but I feel that of the OT, Empire has aged the most visually. The tuntum stop motion for instance, and the Battle of Hoth shows its age in some cases. Not make or break, but again, I feel it's superseeded by its predecessors.

-Setting Gap: There's something very jarring about Empire compared to Hope when it comes to the three year period. Han's a general, and has been with the Rebellion for three years. So why hasn't the Rebellion just paid off Jabba for him if he's valuable enough to them to be a general? And if he is a general, how come he gets to go out and do the dirty work himself? Nitpicks, yeah, but I never got what's up with Han by this point. I mean, didn't the Rebellion pay him at the end of Hope? Can't he pay off Jabba and call it quits? Maybe the EU explains this, but ideally, the film should stand on its own. Jedi has a setting gap too (e.g. Luke getting a green lightsaber), but it's far less jarring a gap.

-Pacing: This applies to about 80% of the film, covering everything from Luke landing on Dagobah to him reaching Bespin. Empire feels at odds with itself here, as it spreads itself over two plotlines. Ideally, Luke's time on Dagobah should be slow, as he trains in the Force, as he meditates and all that. Ideally, Han and co. should feel fast, as they're under constant attack. However, watching Empire, the Dagobah parts feel too fast, somehow. The film is edited to keep flowing, and while that's usually a good thing, here, it just doesn't work for me.

-Plot: Again to the 80%, I feel that really, not much happens. Empire works in worldbuilding, in as much as we learn about the Force, but it also feels redundant. Nothing Luke learns on Dagobah feels that relevant to his fight with Vader. For instance, the tree scene. It's good foreshadowing, but it's never discussed in the film. I get that the film is treating me intelligently, having faith in me to get the point of the scene, but it feels...off, somehow? Like Luke should at least mention what he saw to Yoda, or reflect on it after learning about his daddy issues.

-Love: HanxLeia is...okay, I guess? I mean, it's better than AnakinxPadme (least as far as Clones goes, as a whole, I actually like their relationship), but people seem to really love HanxLeia, and mainly because of this film. Yet for some reason, I just don't feel that much for them. It certainly functions, but for me, that's about it - it functions. It doesn't help that Cloud City adds a feeling of sterility to the scenes they share in it, and C-3PO is easily at his most annoying here.

-Cloud City: Cloud City is the third act, and is mixed. On one hand, Luke vs. Vader is very well done, and IMO, easily the best sequence in the movie from start to finish. However, the escape part of Leia and co...isn't. The action feels very anemic, like they're constantly jogging, and out of place when compared to the more frentic action of Hope. Also, Bobba Fett. This isn't the film's fault, but I have no idea how he became such a popular character. He barely does anything, or say anything, and his role could be easily taken by a Stormtrooper taking Han to Jabba on behalf of the Empire. And while Luke vs. Vader is very good, it feels separate from Luke's time with Yoda. The duel is mostly down to their skill with lightsabers, and that's the one thing we didn't see Luke train in. Jedi's duel isn't only better IMO, but feels more congruent with Yoda's teachings, as the battle there is emotional as well as physical, whereas the Empire duel is mostly physical.

So, yeah. I don't think Empire is a bad film, and it does take my #4 Star Wars film spot. And as you can tell, a lot of these gripes are subjective, and I do admit that Jedi probably has more flaws. But Jedi also has higher highs than Empire for me, and Empire...there's something about the film that just feels off to me. Very unpopular opinion (hence why I chose it), but I'm afraid all I can be is honest.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Squilookle said:
And finally the Indiana Jones trilogy isn't perfect.
I thought it was a quadrilogy? :p
Canadamus Prime said:
As for me, I fail to find any appeal in Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ditto.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I've never seen Lost, Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, but that's not an opinion.
I love reading and prefer my books as actual books, not as .docs or audiologs.

Casual Shinji said:
The dub of Cowboy Bebop is NOT better than the sub. Dub-Spike tries way to hard to sound cool, while sub-Spike just is cool.
Ayup.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
As I feel strongly about my opinions and popularity is a subjective thing, I have no idea what to actually put down that can't be argued both for and against by different perspectives.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I can't stand The Nightmare Before Christmas.
I hate Anchorman.
Star Trek 2009 is a good Star Trek film.
Colin Baker is the best Doctor.
New Super Mario Bros is the best 2D Mario game.

Casual Shinji said:
The dub of Cowboy Bebop is NOT better than the sub. Dub-Spike tries way to hard to sound cool, while sub-Spike just is cool.
Nah, Ed and Jet's voice actors are what makes the sub better than the dub.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*cracks knuckles*

Warhammer, both fantasy and 40K but especially the latter, is a miserable waste of its few good ideas.

All that potential and all they can do with it is frantically jerk off the various super-soldiers with Super Special Weapons.

Also, the fluff is garbage written largely (if not entirely) by people who couldn't make it as authors in their own right.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
-I think Spider-man 2 is overrated.

-I prefer dubs over subs. I don't mind subtitles, but I'd prefer to not constantly watch the screen all the time.

-Also, shows like Family Guy and Teen Titans go have been running for too long, and I stand by that.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Hawki said:
I mean, I know you have that list written down since I've seen you post it before, but notes about Episode V too? How big are these archives of yours?

Anyway, I'm mostly with FalloutJack in this matter, but...

The best MCU film was the first one (note that I haven't seen the two newest ones).

Rush Hour is a good film trilogy if you just blissfully forget all the boring crap from the third (just like I've done).

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable is filler garbage on par with the Garlic Jr saga in DBZ.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
WESTWORLD!!

It's not perfect. But it's fucking brilliant. Ok, with Breaking Bad, I hesitated on sharing it first showing...only to see it blossom, so many years later. I sense a genius in this world too. The details matter.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I find Buffy The Vampire slayer to be an incredibly boring, poorly written, and poorly acted show.

There are some moments of brilliance in the dialogue but they're usually incredibly brief and accidental. I suffered through a season and a half of it before giving up and I only gave it that long because everyone kept praising it to high hell so I kept thinking that it must get better.

It's funny because I actually tend to enjoy most Joss Whedon projects. None of them are perfect but they at least tend to be fun and imaginative. I guess it takes a certain caliber of actor to pull of his writing and none of the actors in Buffy could do it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Canadamus Prime said:
erttheking said:
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes was the best of the Prime Triology.
What's so unpopular about that?

I've seen a lot of people slag it off, saying it has artificial difficulty and uninteresting environments. Obviously I disagree.

And I don't think disliking Eva is an unpopular opinion. That series is...divisive.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
erttheking said:
Canadamus Prime said:
erttheking said:
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes was the best of the Prime Triology.
What's so unpopular about that?

I've seen a lot of people slag it off, saying it has artificial difficulty and uninteresting environments. Obviously I disagree.

And I don't think disliking Eva is an unpopular opinion. That series is...divisive.
I like it better than the 3rd one.

As for Eva, it just it seems to be one of those iconic animes. Not nearly as big as Dragon Ball Z obviously, but still pretty big, and I fail to see why.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Revenge of the Sith is the worst Star Wars movie, and I think that The Phantom Menace is actually the best of the prequels.
Was this not already the established opinion? I thought that everyone thought this.

Speaking of Star Wars: The Force Awakens was the worst Star Wars movie. It was almost a shot-for-shot remake of A New Hope and I could have written a better scripted with both my hands loped off and my tongue cut out.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly are trash. Joss Whedon is terrible at writing and directing. The shows only survive off nostalgia and a weird LBGTQ following in the case of Buffy.

Star Trek is fucking trash. Across the board, it is the worst kind of science fiction. I call it "word bank soup." The writers are handed a bank of made up words and are told to pick ten.

Tina Tiny is the most insufferable character in any game I have every played. Ever. May a pox befall the fuckwits at Gearbox who dreamed her up.

Dungeons & Dragons is a terrible RPG system. It just happens to be the least terrible system I've encountered.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Squilookle said:
Nice one.

I'll hit the ground running here and say that among all those brilliant British comedies, Fawlty Towers is a steaming turd.
It's literally 'idiot tries to do some thing his way. Said thing blows up in his face in front of everyone. Idiot is supposed to be likable'. Its the same shit every episode, and he never learns. Never grows, tries to better relate to anyone or anything.
This kind of shows the main difference between British and American comedies. In British comedies there's no expectation that the main character will be likeable or relatable. The "lovable idiot" archetype is very much an American one... can't think why that would be. The British archetype for a comic main character is a smug idiot who thinks he's clever but ends up digging himself further and further into trouble in a misguided attempt to maneuver his way out of responsibility. The situations evolve because of the characters rather than the characters evolve because of the situations.

One successful British thing that I don't like though is Sherlock.

The writing and acting is far too goofy to be effectively dramatic and it's far too self-satisfied to be funny for more than fleeting moments. Moriarty in particular doesn't really work for me because he tries to be both playful and sinister without being genuinely threatening or particularly witty.

It also doesn't really work as a mystery/ detective show because the solutions are almost all really narratively unsatisfying.

I actually don't really like any adaptation of Sherlock Holmes and I think his brand of "logic" is really fucking annoying but the modern Sherlock is extra annoying because of how clever it thinks it is.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Hawki said:
Squilookle said:
And finally the Indiana Jones trilogy isn't perfect.
I thought it was a quadrilogy? :p
Four Jones movies? What an active imagination you have there!

Definitely agree with you though on Tron Legacy and Prince of Persia. While I've almost entirely forgotten PoP- I was entertained throughout and didn't think any of it was wasting my time.

K12 said:
Squilookle said:
Nice one.

I'll hit the ground running here and say that among all those brilliant British comedies, Fawlty Towers is a steaming turd.
It's literally 'idiot tries to do some thing his way. Said thing blows up in his face in front of everyone. Idiot is supposed to be likable'. Its the same shit every episode, and he never learns. Never grows, tries to better relate to anyone or anything.
This kind of shows the main difference between British and American comedies. In British comedies there's no expectation that the main character will be likeable or relatable. The "lovable idiot" archetype is very much an American one... can't think why that would be. The British archetype for a comic main character is a smug idiot who thinks he's clever but ends up digging himself further and further into trouble in a misguided attempt to maneuver his way out of responsibility. The situations evolve because of the characters rather than the characters evolve because of the situations.
That's not really a difference between British and US comedy though. Like I said, Curb follows the exact same formula. The main cast of Seinfeld were not mean to be likeable- so much so that we're supposed to feel their ultimate fate was deserved. Also how many British main characters are actually smug? Chris Barrie plays a few sure, The Mighty Boosh perhaps, but otherwise they usually just seem aware of their own abilities and are exasperated by the idiots around them, like Black Books, IT Crowd, Blackadder etc.

Episodic shows tend to get the reset button effect a lot with their characters, I get that, but when your own flaws and life lessons are so unabashedly on display every episode, to see no change whatsoever is nothing but frustrating.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
Avatar, the James Cameron movie, is better as a tech demo than it is as a film. The plot is terrible and I wanted to hang the main character off a lamp post by the end due to the fact that he is even worse than Benedict Arnold and Vidkun Quisling combined. He turned his back on the human race (pertinently the people who gave him that spiffy body that he is wearing) because the mining dudes and the security team were assholes? Fine I can sort of see that. Aboragating his mission to find a PEACEFUL solution because he was too busying having Navi head tentacle sex? The blood of all the people who died in that fight are on his hands to some degree. Are you sure he's the hero? Also, unobtainium is too important. This time it is a mining operation, when word gets back to Earth (because he also let some survivors leave), the next expedition will likely be a genocidal military operation. Practically everyone sympathetic to the Navi stayed on Pandora, there are little to few people who would contradict an extremely skewed version of events.

Harry Potter literally runs on stupid. A lot of the dangers Harry and co get into are basically due to adult negligence. Dumbledore does not come across as a wise mentor but as an evil or senile old man cosplaying as one. He stuck Harry into the Dursley household and did not check on him for years. After a childhood of abuse, what makes him think that Harry would not become the next Tom Riddle? It was a miracle that Harry was as sweet and well-adjusted as he was (which was not much but at least above zero). If Harry had not met his friends but was instead bullied during his time in Hogwarts since a bloody hat determines your House, he might have just shrugged and become a Death Eater (a name I have always found unbearably pretentions) when offered. After all, the world is provably a dark and miserable place, why not just burn it down? Plenty of the problems could be solved by a man with a gun, Dumbledore actually doing his job as headmaster or a person equipped with pepper spray.

Star Trek never did it for me, that kind of Utopianism is patently unrealistic. Humans are bastards who can rise above their base desires but for the whole species to basically go hippie? No way in hell. Not in a million years. Star Trek is making the assumption that given a matter replicator, most people would not simply make enough drugs to get high forever or use a holodeck as their personal masturbatory fantasy generator.