Your opinion: Negative things in gaming that we have come to accept

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
erttheking said:
Harassment and trash talk on online gaming.

Every time I bring this up I'm constantly told to just ignore it, with those people themselves ignoring that sometimes you really can't just do that.
Right there with you. And I see a few posts below yours that someone did exactly what you said: told you to ignore it. The stuff that comes out of some peoples mouths online is so vulgar and disgusting that I usually mute people the second I find out they have a mic, whether they're saying something or not. It's sad that this is become the normal behavior for the gaming world in general.

Afro Man

Feb 3, 2011
erttheking said:
Harassment and trash talk on online gaming.

Every time I bring this up I'm constantly told to just ignore it, with those people themselves ignoring that sometimes you really can't just do that.
Agreed, this goes further into the root of the proper of online bullying and such. Saying "Just turn off your computer" doesn't do anything but allow the bully to control your ability to play games or use the internet.

Other points such as platform preference shaming, consumer unwarranted backlash, uneducated parents purchasing violent games for children really take the fun out of our community.

:[

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It seems like a lot of gamers would say that Nintendo isn't a provider of actual games...I guess this could tie into the criticisms lobbied at games for kids but there are some people who are vehemently anti-Nintendo. Also, while it was true in the past, I don't recall the last time Nintendo made any significant changes to a game's content so as to make it more family friendly. Yeah, you can point at Lego City undercover and say it was the first Nintendo sandbox on the Wii U but the Wii had No More Heroes and Madhouse. The Wii U has Bayonetta 2 and it's going to be getting Devil's Third. I'm still a big Nintendo fan at 26 and I'm probably going to continue playing Nintendo games until I'm too old to hold a controller but it seems like a popular past time is to mock the Nintendo consoles as not being gamer-consoles...despite those consoles being dedicated games-playing machines.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
DizzyChuggernaut said:
you don't have to grab a TV from the 70s to watch things that came out in that decade.
No, but you may have to find one to get the VCR tapes and NES to work :)

For me its

HD Remakes

Now I must admit I like some of them because some older games are more accessible (and cheaper) that way. For instance, the Sly Cooper trilogy. But I'm not a fan of them milking things like The Last of Us or when they released the Hitman Trilogy which included a game from that gen!

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
DizzyChuggernaut said:
Consoles
[...]
Yeah I agree. There was nothing bad with consoles per se, a sience device you plug into your TV to play games? Marvelous!
Just if you were to come up with the concept today, people would look at you funny. A pre-built, unmoddable gaming PC that only plays exlusive games and puts you at the full mercy of a profit-oriented company, while removing none of the downsides of a modern PC like loading/install times and costs about as much? wat?

It's genetical baggage we carry around but can't get rid of, like the appendix, or the ability to choke on food while talking.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
DLC. While not an inherently bad thing, our tolerance of DLC has only told developers that it's ok to force a half-finished product out of the door a month or two earlier than its expected finished date, just as long as they stay hush-hush about it.

But, hey, it's all good; they can just finish their artistic vision, no... MAGNUS OPUS by releasing the unfinished bits later on. Half a year later. For more money. That may or may not be the full price of the game I originally purchased.

And then they will do this several times.

EA? Why, what does this "EA" mean? What sort of nonsense verbal invocation have you just concocted? I know of no "EA". EA. EA EA. EA. POOLS. EA. TODDLERS. POOLS.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
harrisonmcgiggins said:
I am upset that "run around a slightly spooky enviroment while effortlessly shooting down waves of monsters" is considered "survival horror nowadays. Only exceptions being amnesia,outlast, and alien isolation.

In order to Survive Horror, i have to feel threatened, either with scarce resources, immersion in enviroment, or unique scary monsters that are tough or impossible to kill. Maybe all three or others?

Why not throw some crafting elements in? It is (SURVIVAL horror)
Why not introduce some scary concepts that treat you like an adult? ( the only audience a Horror game should truely be aiming for) like i dunno, you killed your wife and have to face your inner demons? Or make some horrifying decisions, like sacrifice your partner in a trap to get some important item?

Im here to be Horrified. Not have another power fantasy.

(Nonono lets water it down and market it to the COD Joe-Bro crowd, and throw ammo, and health at them. And lets not make any contraversial adult themes, we're pfinting MONEY here people!)
I understand what you're saying, but I see it more in horror films nowadays- just action movies with monsters or madmen... and it really grinds my gears. I have to be able to relate to the protagonist on some level, and there has to be a sense of danger that never quite diminishes. The threat, while potentially elusive and difficult/impossible to fathom, or not, still has to be a palpable threat. And having an adult theme, wherein there might be some exploration of serious subjects via supernatural or otherwise implied evil agency, is a welcome (though not need not be blatant or clear cut) element.

(Having said all that I still love the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dalisclock said:
I'm not trying to bash MP, but there's the inherent flaw. A game that doesn't require a server or depend on a user base will theoretically be playable until the disc wears out and the last backup disappears, while a MP game ceases to really exist once there's no one else to play with.
Not that it matters as much these days, when content is tied to accounts and more and more your SP game can be ruined with a flick of the switch, so to speak. This sucks with MP, but there's absolutely no reason for it in SP.
Totally agree. A SP game should never require a server to play or activate, though it's questionable if any "always online" SP actually do. SimCity was almost immediately found to have a way to play offline regardless of what EA said.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Japan is no longer respected as the grandfather of quality gaming.

Back then people Japanese gaming as the venerable wise old man with tales to tell. But now he has become a senile pervert in the eyes of the new age. The only thing you see is the worst side of Japan as his old stories have all faded into dust.

oZode

Nov 15, 2011
Needing to have an online account to use game platforms like Steam of Origin

Can't do much about it, oh well.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Another one.

Gamers complaing about gaming being more bitterly paranoid than ever.

All the toxic constant complaints about how the corps are out to put id barcodes on their necks. How they are flooding them waters with chemtrails and wearing tinfoil hats. All while hoping to destroy the ebil corporations.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
The fact that most AAA games cannot be released without multiplayer, and the incessant social features too.

I like multiplayer, but it doesn't need to be an integral feature of a game. It's pretty annoying that some reviewers even see a lack of multiplayer as a negative, so there's this whole attitude that is prevalent and is constantly enforced which I find troublesome.

A game should stand up by single player alone; if it cannot do that, then ditch the single player campaign altogether.

Also fuck any game that has facebook features and stuff like that.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Tuesday Night Fever said:
- Buying licenses to play a game rather than actually buying games

What other form of media regularly deals with this bullshit in both digital and physical forms? If I buy a DVD, I can always watch that movie as long as the disc is still in good shape and I've got a device to play it. Because you're paying for licenses to play games these days, even with physical copies, you've really got nothing tangible to hold on to. Your access to the game can be restricted at any time and for any reason, and if the developer/publisher choose to make a change to the game you're often forced to go along with it with no ability to play an older version. Complete bullshit.
I once did the math on how much money steam has safed me in the last 10 years though. It's roughly 4000-5000 bucks. In form of cheaper prices, sales and not having to storage multiple hundreds of games.
Add to the monetary benefit also: automatic updates, easily accsesible modding community and insane availability.
I probably reinstall steam + 1 game faster than trying to find an old game i've probably storaged in my cellar - IF i still have the CDkey. If not i have to rely on a crack or i'm fugged anyway.

Also the "doomsday" scenarios of dem evil corps suddenly taking away all our games is so out of this world it's not even funny. Why would you ever kill your own source of income? It makes no sense.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Call of Duty games are still being made.

I like the "your opinion" part that was put before the topic subject. I want Call of Duty to stop being made, please