Your opinion of metal...

rt052192

Feb 24, 2010
depends on your definition of "metal" but in my opinion and to quote a Metallica(favorite band, Megadeth blows) song "nothing else matters"

Ironboot

Mar 9, 2010
Metal is my favourite genre as long as it possesses some kind of melody. Sub genres that I would consider melodic (and therefore interesting) include melodic death metal (obviously), progressive metal, folk metal and the occasional power metal fling. However, I am by no means limited to these genres and can appreciate plain rock or calm piano pieces when I'm in the right mood.

I often hear that I'm pretentious and that I only listen to complex metal like Meshuggah to be different, but it's the other way around. I listen to that kind of music because it is different. Basically, the music that I grew up listening to and the stuff that was played on the radio started to sound monotonous. I needed something fresh and different, and that's when I discovered metal. It started out with nu-metal which later moved on to metalcore, but I grew bored of these genres rather quickly. That's when I heard Opeth for the first time. Now, 2 years later, I still discover new metal (mainly progressive) bands every day.

Some of my favourite bands include Opeth, Wolverine, In Mourning, Insomnium, Andromeda, Blotted Science, Eluveitie, Ensiferum and Alestorm.

Also, this if my first post. Woo.

JohnnySex

Dec 31, 2009
The best metal is metal from the 70s and 80s. There are also a few newer bands I like, but my taste is mostly in the older stuff. Also, metal is the best music ever. That is all.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
i can't stand metal or any screaming music. Even if it's like Avenged Sevenfold or Atreyu and they start screaming i change the song

dokasu

Mar 7, 2010
Technically there are only three types of music; swing, rock, and latin. Those then can be broken into subgenres like jazz, fusion, metal, classic rock, alternative rock, progressive rock, progressive metal, thrash, thrash metal, death metal, punk..............etc......

even rap and hip hop is truly at it's base rock, it can't be helped, same with country

Rock is necessary in the music world rap and hip hop sampling would rely just on latin and jazz
I think as long as there is a want for it and a want to do it metal will be here

I can do without songs like heartkiller by him or just him, nickleback and godsmack

trite bands with trite lyrics, although if I wanted to go to a bar and listen to somebody whining about who they married and wanting to bang someone else in every song, sure I'd listen to nickleback.......or honestly if I wanted to pay for an album and hear one track repeated over and over and over and over and then ask my self if track 5 really is track 1 those 3 bands all should've kept their day jobs and maybe played instruments as a hobby or possibly entertaining family on holidays.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Aunel said:
some good some bad, some awesome, just like any genre.
Pretty much this, although the extended techniques in extreme metal (ie growling, shrieking) do in fact take skill. I should know, I do death growls a lot.

SicCazee

Jan 11, 2010
Wasder said:
Aunel said:
SicCazee said:
It's defenitly the hardest genre to play, allthough sometimes it just gets too much. But I prefer mostly metal, Distrubed, KoRn, Slipknot, Mustach, Metallica, Killswitch Engage, Evanesence, System of a down so on and so forth. However these are mostly something that metalheads call nu-metal (I don't get it). Apparently (according to metalheads such as AC/DC fans and such bands) this is not real metal, I mean really who the fuck are they to decide?
You make me laugh, metal hard to play

A victor wooten song ANY wooten song is more difficult than metal.

OT: some good some bad, some awesome, just like any genre.
Indeed, metal as a whole is pretty easy on bassists, it tends to be hammer one note for feckin ages really fast. Doesn't mean it's not fun though, and applying metal style lead guitar playing sounds great on the bass (see Billy Sheehan, Cliff Burton, Frank Belo).
No offence Aunell I did mean for guitar, sry for the missunderstanding. Yes the bass is not hard in metal, often.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
I enjoy metal that is well structured, possesses an intelligent philosophical outlook, and achieves transendence through sublime beauty. Also I enjoy metal that rocks.

last.fm/user/Northern_Fire

yoshimickster

Feb 5, 2010
I agree with MatsVS. Though I like philosophical meaning to an extent, if it gets to preachy than I'm out. TALKIN' BOUT YOU GREEN DAY! I know it's pop-punk, but still.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
AxCx said:
Wasder said:
Aunel said:
SicCazee said:
Indeed, metal as a whole is pretty easy on bassists,
As a whole, perhaps. But if you think its like that 99% of the time, well, someones never listened to tech death, eh?
As I said, it's fairly easy as a whole. Let's be honest, tech death isn't a particularly big genre.

Anyway, I don't think I've properly adressed the thread yet.

I fucking love metal. Thrash is my favorite (although shitting easy on bassists, it's still awesome), especially Anthrax. However, I can fully understand why people might not like metal, but I think people who only listen to metal (or any single genre) are close minded douchebags.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
I like the odd metal song but overall I can sum up views on the metal genre in two words 'it's' and 'rubbish'. So many of my friends like metal, I just never could.

If anyone careas my favourite artists are Spor, Pendulum, The Qemists, AC/DC and Hilltop Hoods.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
I like a good deal of it but think that it has some of the most snobbish fans in the world. I think that being a metal-head (which am not) gives people a strange "brooding outcast/badass" feeling which to me makes them an abosolute joke.