Your opinion of metal...

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'm an outspoken fan of the metal genre, especially Scandinavian bands and Disturbed. I've been listening to metal since the first time I watched The Matrix and heard Rob Zombie's Dragula during the club scene. Since metal is getting back into the mainstream for the first time since the 80s (thanks primarily to bands like Disturbed), I want to hear your opinion of the genre.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Just like most every other genre, it has some really great songs and a lot of really bland ones.

Kalas92

Jun 30, 2009
I can listen to it (and yes disturbed is a great band)
but its not my favorite.

crooked_ferret

Jul 30, 2009
I used to enjoy it more than I do now.
I suppose the primary reason is the older metal had more thought provoking lyrics, and now it's kind of reached a stagnant stage where it's almost emulating other genres.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
because in Most Metal I've heard, the vocals are Low-pitched roaring or simply shouting at the microphone, which usually ruins the song for me.
Yeah, I'm not a particular fan of that crap either. I don't get the appeal of a song that says things like "I am Satan and I will eat your soul RRROOOOOOAAAARRRRRRR..." or screams random syllables into a microphone...

minispike47

Aug 15, 2008
I love metal, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Disturbed, Slayer and Judus Priest are fantastic bands.

beckett360

Aug 20, 2009
The genre of metal irritates me because its a bunch of untalented musicisians struming power chords really fast and banging on drums really loudly.

However, there are some talented metal bands like the Disturbed and Metallica. I just hate Slipknot and those other copycat bands that are just like Spipknot or trying really hard to be like Slipknot.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Love it.

That's really all there is to say about metal, for me. I just like any and all kinds of metal.

Still, I'm always open to other styles and genres, but metal is my favourite genre of music.

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
kookro said:
New Troll said:
Just like most every other genre, it has some really great songs and a lot of really bland ones.
this.
I do like some metal bands, but bands like Strapping Young Lad who claim to be a metal band because they repeat the same three swear words over and over while playing guitar ridiculously fast is purely tasteless.

I listen to what I feel like. Sometimes I don't feel like metal and listen to something cheesy like Weird Al or something.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
I like metal quite a bit. I've evolved my taste in music from not caring at all, to random crap music my sister happened to have, to rock, to metal, to symphonic metal. I prefer symphonic metal (Nightwish, Krypteria, Epica)because you can actually understand what they're saying most of the time, and they can easily give an epic feel to their songs.

For me, I can't stand metal where people are just screaming in that low, death grunt voice the entire time and not allowing me the slightest opportunity to understand the message they're trying to convey. I make sure that when I get into a band, I can understand the messages they're trying to convey.

MusicalFreedom

May 9, 2009
a genre wherein people call bands metal that aren't actually metal*, but otherwise cool

*such as slipknot, korn, disturbed, soad, linkin park, and many others. none of these are metal. i will not debate it.

LavosPrime

Jan 9, 2009
AvsJoe said:
tellmeimaninja said:
because in Most Metal I've heard, the vocals are Low-pitched roaring or simply shouting at the microphone, which usually ruins the song for me.
Yeah, I'm not a particular fan of that crap either. I don't get the appeal of a song that says things like "I am Satan and I will eat your soul RRROOOOOOAAAARRRRRRR..." or screams random syllables into a microphone...
I agree entirely with this.

beckett360 said:
The genre of metal irritates me because its a bunch of untalented musicisians struming power chords really fast and banging on drums really loudly.

However, there are some talented metal bands like the Disturbed and Metallica. I just hate Slipknot and those other copycat bands that are just like Spipknot or trying really hard to be like Slipknot.
I also mostly agree with this.

There are some great mainstream metal bands out there, like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, and Judas Priest. There's also some really great stuff that's a little more obscure. Personally, I'm a huge fan of Dream Theater (progressive metal; "Rush-tallica"), but I dislike the extreme and nu-metal movements, respectively for their lyrical styles and hip-hop influences.

Aby_Z said:
I like metal quite a bit. I've evolved my taste in music from not caring at all, to random crap music my sister happened to have, to rock, to metal, to symphonic metal. I prefer symphonic metal (Nightwish, Krypteria, Epica)because you can actually understand what they're saying most of the time, and they can easily give an epic feel to their songs.

For me, I can't stand metal where people are just screaming in that low, death grunt voice the entire time and not allowing me the slightest opportunity to understand the message they're trying to convey. I make sure that when I get into a band, I can understand the messages they're trying to convey.
Once again, similar sentiments.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
I love nearly all subgenres of it. I feel it is typecast too much as either Cradle Of Filth or My Chemical Romance. It seems you're considered an Emo or Goth if you listen to anything with a guitar in it! The only Metal subgenres I dislike are usually Death/Black/Viking/etc. Metal where the singers seem to just grunt in rhythm with the tune. Even among other Metalheads I'm sometimes considered weird because my tastes are so varied. Eg. 1 minute I could be listening to some hardcore Slipknot,and the next minute I could be enjoying a slow,soothing Nightwish song and my enjoyment level will not slip at all!