Your Opinion: Which games have made you not to trust Nintendo anymore?

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Chaos Isaac said:
The Wii. I mean. Just. The entire system and almost everything on it. For specific games... Skyward Sword, Metroid: Other M, Link's Crossbow Training, Most Mario Games, the abundance of shovelware.

I mean. Bleh. Also the bullshit of new versions of the DS every other year.
I think the Wii was a bold experiment for the time and while it was fun for a time it wore thin. The Wii motion plus and Skyward sword was nintendo having one last crack at it before abandoning it almost entirely (only having minor gyro controls on the WiiU)

Metroid; other M's problems were down to a director pulling a george lucas and forgetting what made his series good in the first place.

You seem to be missing out Twilight princess, often considered one of the best Zelda games out there.

As for the DS? those are really only meant to be picked up if you need the upgrade. You say DS though there have been 2 distinct handheld systems as the DS and the 3DS are completely different handheld generations.

The DS had 3 main versions; Base model, lite and the final DSi version.

the 3DS has really only had 3 with varying sizes for personal preference, and the 2DS was a version purely made for kids as it was a cheaper, studier unit with no 3D mode (and the fact it was released allongside pokemon spoke volumes about it's true intentions)

I mean compare the DS with the number of PS3's and Xbox360s there have been over the years.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Well...never. Mainly because Nintendo is multiple individual teams working under one company. Even if one group makes a bad game, it's not like the other teams suddenly die off. Then again, gamer culture is one of hype and hyperbole where you must either think a game is the Holy Grail or the Black Death so I'm not surprise people loudly think this.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
None really. I main Nintendo Consoles (And PC's), and I haven't been disappointed by a Nintendo Game yet. Then again, I don't play every Nintendo game ever made (I skip out on a couple Franchise, namely Metroid and The Legend of Zelda). The ones I do play though I thoroughly enjoy, even if I don't complete them.

So yeah, me and Nintendo are on good terms, even if the WiiU isn't a well-thought-out console.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
First of all, the last Metroid game was Other M. So that's probably reason enough to not necessarily trust that the next Metroid game will be good.

That said, I'd argue that you should never 'trust' the person whose job it is to sell you something, that that something is good. It's in their best interests to tell you it's good, regardless of quality.

Although, with that said, I think you're misinterpreting the complaints and/or the complainers are doing the typical internet thing, where, if they don't like something, they feel the need to paint the entire thing as an absolute trainwreck, rather than see it as a thing with good qualities, and bad qualities, that they happen to dislike for whatever reason (see: every thread ever with the title 'why is 'x' so popular'). Basically, people aren't saying Federation Force is bad because they think it's a bad game, they're saying it's bad because it's bandying around the Metroid name, whilst not really being a Metroid game. Which is fine sometimes (Dynasty Warriors gameplay, with Zelda characters? Sure, sounds cool), but when it's been 5 years since the last entry in the series, and that last entry was controversial (to say the least), fans can get a bit antsy, and a wildy different spin off sets them all a-flutter.

Basically, I think you should just ignore the whining on the internet, wait 'til the game comes out, read reviews, watch some gameplay, listen to the general hum of the internet, then decide if it's worth a purchase. 'Trust' should never enter the equation. Even entirely sincere, well meaning, talented game designers can screw up sometimes (see: Metroid: Other M, or to stop banging on about that, every numpty that showed up to see Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace on opening night, boy did the massive amounts of fandom trust blow up in their faces)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I don't get why people trust companies.

inu-kun said:
I see the "I lost my trust at nintendo" people as very, well, for a lack of a better description, Bob type people. Who want Nintendo to just repeat the same games from their childhood over and over (which to be fair, were trained to it by Nintendo). Thus ,every small change warrants over-exaggeration with the added irony that those people will buy the game regardless and do the same thing when another game isn't to their liking.
Eh. I'll keep buying core Pokémon games as long as they're fun. I still like the top-down Zeldas and will play them when they come out.

There's nothing wrong with "more of the same" if "more of the same" works and continues to be fun. Doesn't mean I'm stuck in the 90s, or I wouldn't touch 3D GTA games or modern shooters or the other stuff I play too much of.

But people aren't losing their trust because Nintendo tried something different, or we'd still be playing 2D Zeldas only. There would be no Metroid Prime or 3D Marios. Maybe there's something different here?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
inu-kun said:
Metroid Prime was a single player game that managed to keep the heart of the exploration of Metroid. Hell, it ENHANCED it with the addition of the scan visor and telling a story through the world.

Federation Force is a co-op focused game, and co-op focused games aren't well known for their exploration elements or their in depth story telling. And what's the primary selling point of Federation Force? Soccer. Uh-huh.

Also the game seems to be heavily based off of Metroid Prime Hunters, which was the worst game in the Metroid series until Other M came along.

Simply put, I'm convinced Federation Force is going to suck because it has given me multiple reasons to think so and zero reasons to think otherwise. After Other M I'm not in the mood to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

Daft Ada

Sep 9, 2014
None. I still trust them to do what they've always done, to excite and frustrate in equal measure. They do their own thing, some of it I love, some of it I don't enjoy. But I know that every game I love, there will be people that hate it; and every game I hate there will be some people that enjoy them. Their fan base, like any major franchise/company is so diverse they will NEVER please everybody. I was disappointed they didn't have a Metroid Prime in the works for Wii U but them trying something new for this entry doesn't mean they won't revisit the FPA style in the future. People were shocked and disappointed when Prime was first revealed and some fans still don't like first-person views in their Metroid. Also, while Prime 1 was fantastic the sequels (argurably) didn't measure up, so who's to say that MP4 would have been brilliant?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
What else can it be other than an opinion?

Anyway, used to love Nintendo 'everything' and was a big fanboy. In love with SSB Melee, I was super hyped for SSB Brawl for 3 years, only to find it was a fucking atrocity! Completely disappointed and couldn't believe what they released, I decided to do full research from then on before buying any entertainment.

Especially these days. Most of what they do looks really uninspired or dull, even in the teasers/trailers.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
inu-kun said:
And you honestly think before Prime came out nobody shouted "BETRAYAL" and whined that it's gonna be a dumb shooter?
How is this a point? Every game and movie that gets a trailer is scrutinised by people and will be over-judged by some. But many don't see anything in Federation Force, including it's not something anyone had been waiting for.

I was excited for the first Prime because they revealed some awesome stuff, and it involved Samus! But what does Federation Force do that looks awesome? Compare them and tell me which looks better from their trailers or whatever.

Edit: Screwed up the quoting :p

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
me? I bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 and I was not disapointed. My trust in Nintendo and Platinum was rewarded. And, actually, reinforced. (Enough so that I bought Korra despite the bad reviews and behold, it's a good game)

I trust them enough - and more importantly I trust Tomonobu Itagaki enough - that I will purchase Devil's Third when it comes out.

I am a big Metroid fan btw. And I could care less about the new game, forgot its name even. Don't even own a 3DS. It's not like they are trying to lure the hardcore Metroid fan base into buying it. They are pretty straightforward about it. I know it's not for me, so what?

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Nintendo is one of the few developers I actually DO trust. Juxtapose their business practices and communication with their customers to those of Sony and Microsoft, they never seem to deliberately lie or mislead.

At their [frequent] worst, Nintendo comes across as bumbling nimrods who are often out of touch with what many of their consumers want. Quite often, they are cringe-inducingly off-mark with their audience (anyone remember their huge WiiMusic debut at E3? *shudder*), but when they get things right, they fucking deliver (like the new Super Smash Bros. iteration). On top of all of this, I think they actually do a pretty good job balancing the demand for beloved rehashes as well as exploring and innovating new ideas, even if both end up as unappreciated failures.

Nintendo, in my opinion, is as stupid as it is goofy, but far more importantly, they're good-spirited and treat their consumers with respect and dignity, whether they are hardcore Zelda fans or a bunch of old fucks who like to throw a virtual bowling ball around.

Nintendo is one of the two developers I actually haven't lost faith in. They know full well that anything they do will displease a lot of people, but they don't cower towards being pandering, dishonest, or exploitative.

EDIT: Before I get accused of fanboyism, allow me to clarify that I'm not interested in anything they've released in the past 8 years with the sole exceptions of Super Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
I think it was more the consoles than the games. There's never any benefits to being loyal or first out the gates with them. Buy a 3DS on release, next year XL comes along, then stronger versions of the console with exclusive games after that... what's the point?

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Well, I didn't lose trust in Nintendo as a whole, I did however lose trust in them caring about the metroid series, Other M came out, then 8 years of silence, I find it hard to believe Nintendo actually care about the series anymore frankly, especially after showing us Federation Force

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
I haven't lost trust exactly, but Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Other M really ticked me off, to say the least.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Zelda skyward sword, Other M, cutting Pokemon in half, cutting fire emblem in half, every Mario game...

I can't think of a single other thing I care about. I feel like the entire Wii generation was a massive step down for me.