Your perfect RPG

UkuleleSlayer

Apr 5, 2010
1. Duel-wield shields
2. Duel-wield shields
3. Duel-wield shields
4. Duel-wield shields
5. khajiits
6. a combat system that not only allows Duel-wield shields, but makes it a viable option for a Khajiit.
7. hot chocolate

I would stockpile copies of this game like anti-zombie vaccine.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I want someone to make an 3/4 isometric, story-driven RPG in the style of the infinity engine (2D, hand painted backgrounds) with an original setting and strong writing.

I don't give a shit about choice and consequence or any of that other RPG Codex stuff (there's a place for that, but not in this case), just give me a great story and dialogue choices that suit my chosen character ala Bloodlines.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Jedoro said:
Give everyone a name. EVERYONE. Even random guards, give them a random name. It'll make everyone feel a bit more like a person than some pixels.
I totally agree with this; in fact, I wish they did this in strategy games (give every unit a name).

As far as a good RPG goes, don't try to mix a great linear story with a open-world game. Choose one or the other.

I'd want a game that has/is:

-a tight, linear, and well-done story
-a likeable and well-developed cast
-a strategy RPG
-substantial in length, but not to long (15-20 hours)
-Excellent replayablity (either through extra difficulties, unlockable content, DLC,or good Mods)

Genibus

Nov 21, 2011
Jade Empire with more stuff.

Supertask said:
McNinja said:
But I found Skyrim a bit lacking in a few places, most notably the ability to quickly switch between spells and weapons and back and forth and etc.
So put a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other? I felt that having to assign a spell to a hand in Skyrim was an improvement on Oblivion. If you're using both magic and a weapon/shield, there has to be some significant penalty (inability to block if you're a Spellsword, though you could use wards). In Oblivion, every Warrior was armed with magic and every Mage armed with weapons, it didn't make sense.

For me, Skyrim did most things right and many things brilliantly, so a perfect (or at least perfect as humanly possible) RPG would be basically be Skyrim but more. Skyrim, like Oblivion and Morrowind, while vast by game standards, are little worlds. The cities are really villages. Of course this is necessary because everything is hand crafted, but I wouldn't mind an intelligent generator producing, say, the suburds of a city with only the centre hand crafted or a generator producing most of the countryside. It would be fine so long as it was a generator used only by the devs while creating the game, then they could tweak it when it's done, and the landscape and cities would still be identical in every individual game. Oblivion actually did have some of its vast countryside generated in this fashion, but I never noticed. Besides this, more quests and weapon types. If all these came true, I wouldn't mind if the graphics didn't budge an inch in TESVI.
No RPG will ever achieve perfection until full to life scale versions of cities can be created with unique NPCs and fully realized AI. Dreams.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
Skyrim, with more weapons. Seriously Mr. Howard, there is a point where weapons get superfluous (I.E. Darts), but there is also a point where you start removing variety (I.E. shortswords).

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Perfect RPG has been made already. Planescape torment.

Most important thing about rpgs for me anyway is that combat is optional and not that important in grand scheme of things. Read other ways to solve conflicts than steel.

Only rpgs that truly understand this to a point are Planescape, Fallout 1+2 (perhaps vegas too), vampire the masquarade: Bloodlines and Deus ex.

Tonz of Fun

Mar 29, 2011
my perfect RPG.....It would be what many promise; Endless fun. It would take many different elements from many different games. Multiple paths you can take with different results every time, mixing and matching items and weapons, being able to do things like put spells on different items or even people and enemies. a decent NPC AI that doesn't run in front of you while you're attacking or stands by staring at blades of grass while you're being mauled to death. I want it to feel like anything is possible. Example time!!!

1 Mutliple paths/different results: Say taking path A,B and C leads to one but B,A,C gets you something diiferent.
2.Mixing and matching: I want to be able to tie a sword and an axe to different ends of an staff or just sharpen a stick to stab people with or throw oil at someone and hit them with a fiery sword....or put the oil on the sword and lit it!
3.Spells on items/NPCs: Something like using a freeze spell on an arrow so it can freeze or targeting NPCs and enemies like lighting fires at their feet will make them react.

I think that's enough. Just let your imagination run wild about it!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
1 - A fun tactics driven combat system with multiple companions for you to mix and match or even solo

2 - An open world in which to explore

3 - Interesting companions with differentiating interests leading to the possibility of internal conflict and confrontation

4 - A well crafted main story that spans the world and keeps you motivated on moving forward while changing the world you exist in

5 - Multiple classes with varying builds that yet offer a unique play experience <Diablo 2, Dragon Age>

6 - Elimination of nearly any activity that comes off as a grind or time sink to maximize action and story telling. I'll forgo realism in favor of having infinite inventory space. I want the ability to warp to NPC's so I can get my quest rather than spend 5 minutes walking to them. The ability to walk in 'fast forward' when traversing long distances. I could probably fill a page of on this category alone so I'll leave it at that.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
I would love to see something with the depth and gameplay of Skyrim with the setting of Deus Ex, perhaps with a bit of the Combine art style in Half-Life 2, and an epic plot with intrigue, backstabbing, philosophizing, and chase sequences.

Alternatively, there's an entire planet that serves a dumping ground for the worst criminals in the galaxy, with the most feared/psychotic/charismatic ones being in control of entire factions. You play as a new arrival working their way up the chain, causing chaos and gathering followers as you go; all in all, it's like No More Heroes + Arkham City + Saints Row.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Supertask said:
McNinja said:
But I found Skyrim a bit lacking in a few places, most notably the ability to quickly switch between spells and weapons and back and forth and etc.
So put a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other? I felt that having to assign a spell to a hand in Skyrim was an improvement on Oblivion. If you're using both magic and a weapon/shield, there has to be some significant penalty (inability to block if you're a Spellsword, though you could use wards). In Oblivion, every Warrior was armed with magic and every Mage armed with weapons, it didn't make sense.
I am currently doing some conjuration/one-handed shenanigans, using two bound swords. I also heal myself, use Candlelight (the ball of light spell that isn't magelight) and summon atronachs. Having to go into a menu, scroll down, heal myself, then scroll up, get the bound swords out again, then activate them, isn't fast or efficient. Then there's also the problem of spells not being assigned to a hand even when I push the correct button, so I have to go back into the menu. Thankfully this doesn't happen often, just when I'm about to die and need to heal myself. There's nothing quite like punching the air instead of healing yourself.

As for blocking, I really do not know why you can't block with two one handed swords. Control-wise, it makes sense, but reality-wise, it boggles the mind. Blocking with two weapons should be easier, not non-existent. Duels have been fought for centuries using a rapier and a parry dagger, and I'm fairly certain that people block in those types of duels. Being handicapped to always taking damage when hit simply because you are using two weapons is nonsense.

I never played Oblivion, or any Eldar Scrolls game prior to Skyrim. It is by no means a bad game, but being railroaded into only having two things available at a time (not including shouts) shows how shallow the controls are. I don't know if you ever played Fable (it's pretty good. The rest of the series is not) but the switching between spells and melee is done very well and allows for much more in terms of spell usage and weapons loadouts.

Supertask

Oct 23, 2011
Hammeroj said:
Perks that go up to (or even higher, in the case of heavy armor, for example) +100% effectiveness an inch at a time aren't there to provide choice of any kind. The only choice involved is whether or not you'll use the skill at all because of how gimped certain skill trees are without them. Have one perk that gives a 25%-50% bonus and be done with it. I wouldn't be happy with it, but I wouldn't be outraged at how much perks need to be thrown at something as boring as this just to make a particular skill not useless, restricting me from spreading my perks out more.

In the specific case of heavy armor, which I already mentioned, you literally have 7 perks that only increase armor. The 5 +20% ones, then a +25% for wearing all heavy armor, and another 25% for having that armor be from the same set (dwarven, daedric, etc). All it does is pad out the perk trees.
Well the "all of the same exact type" did annoy me, but other than that I see nothing wrong with the 20% at a time 5/5 increase, it does add choice. Weapon and armour skill improves naturally, but what if you want to adjust the way it is improving naturally? Say you feel you're weapon skills are moving a bit fast and want to tilt it in the direction of armour, cause you feel a bit squishy in combat - well then you make the choice to invest points in the 5/5 light armour perk at the base of the tree. You might however also be eyeing a nice sneak perk, and you're torn between improving light armour by 20% or getting that sneak perk, so you have another choice. What I'm getting at is a natural system of growing skills should be augmented by a seperate system where you make a manual choice to improve them or improve something else.

Hammeroj said:
Like your raise enemy example, it can easily be "x% chance to raise the enemy for y seconds", where the higher X is, the lower Y gets, and the strength is equal to what you just fought. The same could be done with a lot of different enchantments, like "x% chance to send your character into a rage, increasing: a)attack speed; b)damage; c)stagger resistance by y% for a fixed amount of time". All easily achievable with an extra slider. Hell, if that seems too complicated, just have the stats be fixed in their proportion. I don't see why it would be, barely anything about the game is complicated at all. I don't see why balancing this stuff would be hard, either. Don't give characters massive bonuses that are easy to achieve and that's pretty much it. You don't need a really balanced game because you're not playing against anyone, and it isn't anywhere close to being balanced anyway.
You're forgetting that all this has to be scaled to the enchantment charge cost. When you enchant a weapon you select the strength of the enchantment, and it gives you a cost, so your grand soul gem powered war axe will give you either 20 swings or 200 before running out of charge. And while balancing a single player game isn't as important as balancing multiplayer games, it would be very annoying if one or two enchantments were blatantly OP as it would make all the other enchantments seem redundant. For example, the zombie raising weapon might make most of the conjuration skill redundant, since any warrior with that enchantment on his weapon would usually have a minion tagging along anyway. Saying that barely anything about the game is complicated is a pretty bold statement to make, maybe it feels simple the way you play it, designing a game is entirely different.

Hammeroj said:
More enchants - ground tremor (2h maces), extended range (2h swords), glowing (helmets), faster run speed/higher jump (boots), faster bow draw (gloves), elemental arrows that actually look and feel that way, chance to cause an explosion of any given element (weapons or chest armor), chance to disarm enemy (weapons), resistance to stagger (boots).

Perks:
-Battlemage (50% strength converted to intelligence);
-Battlemage v2 (every x attacks enhance your next spell by y%);
-Berserk (increased damage at the cost of HP);
-Blood craze (damage/attack speed increases as your health decreases);
-Clearcasting (chance to make your next spell cost no mana, maybe with increased damage or something);
-Icebreaker (extra damage to chilled/frozen targets);
-Mana barrier (when brought below x%, you get a protective shield equal to half your magicka for x seconds);
-Soul drainer (killed enemies restore hp/mana);
-Magebane (absorb x% magic damage and turn it into attack speed/damage/spell power/mana)
-Shredder (sharp attacks decrease target's armor)
-Arcane Buildup (x consecutive spells of y school on the same target cause an arcane explosion/stun)
-Thick Skinned (absorbs x damage at the beginning of each combat)

That's off the top of my head, in ~20 minutes. And I'm a really unimaginative person. I'm sure a game dev consisting of people more talented than me and with more time than 20 minutes can do better.
Many of these perks seem more like spells or powers in there own right - they're very specific, perks are meant to be general advantages for a given skill, whereas these mostly seem like specific powers, like the kind you can get from the guardian stones. As for enchants, again they're mostly meant to be general, not like specific powers, but stagger resistance or faster bow draw would be good additions. I guess it's partly a stylistic thing, I never played WoW but my brother did and I sometimes watched him on it, and reading you're suggestions I remember the huge colourful effects engulfing the fights and the masses and masses of very specific abilities, and so I guess partly it's a matter of taste. TES isn't like WoW where you have an enormous mass of abilities, so the spells and enchantments are kept general on the whole. And I would hate for the weapon enchantment animations to become much more pronounced than they are now, giant lightingbolts leaping around swords or huge flames engulfing axes would ruin the atmosphere of melee fights, making them seem just like magic fights.

Hammeroj said:
Hm, maybe I wasn't doing things right, but the miscellaneous quest log never showed me where to go apart from directing me towards the repeatable Companion quests. I had it on tracking right up until the last quests of the game and it was useless all throughout. I couldn't click on any of the individual errands either. Did I miss something or did it just not work for me at all?
Well in the same way you can select and deselect individual quests on the normal quest log, within the miscellaneous tab you should be able to select and deselect individual errands, I think you may have just left the companions one on or something, if you can't deselect it, there may be something wrong with your game I guess.
McNinja said:
I am currently doing some conjuration/one-handed shenanigans, using two bound swords. I also heal myself, use Candlelight (the ball of light spell that isn't magelight) and summon atronachs. Having to go into a menu, scroll down, heal myself, then scroll up, get the bound swords out again, then activate them, isn't fast or efficient. Then there's also the problem of spells not being assigned to a hand even when I push the correct button, so I have to go back into the menu. Thankfully this doesn't happen often, just when I'm about to die and need to heal myself. There's nothing quite like punching the air instead of healing yourself.
Right, so hold the sword in one hand, and switch between healing, candlelight and summoning in the other.

McNinja said:
As for blocking, I really do not know why you can't block with two one handed swords. Control-wise, it makes sense, but reality-wise, it boggles the mind. Blocking with two weapons should be easier, not non-existent. Duels have been fought for centuries using a rapier and a parry dagger, and I'm fairly certain that people block in those types of duels. Being handicapped to always taking damage when hit simply because you are using two weapons is nonsense.
Control-wise and balance-wise it makes sense, reality wise, as far as it is related to reality at all (basically, not much at all as far as I can see), it also makes sense. The parrying dagger was used only in Renaissance fencing, you never see them in modern fencing, and it was used only for parrying (i.e. blocking) for which it was intentionally designed. Far from being easier to block with two swords; history has no examples I can think of of actual dual wielding in a real battle precisely because defending oneself would be so difficult, since one handed swords were not made for defence - they were made to be paired with a shield. So if somebody was going to duel wield, it would purely be for doing more damage or having the opportunity of doing more damage.

McNinja said:
I never played Oblivion, or any Eldar Scrolls game prior to Skyrim. It is by no means a bad game, but being railroaded into only having two things available at a time (not including shouts) shows how shallow the controls are. I don't know if you ever played Fable (it's pretty good. The rest of the series is not) but the switching between spells and melee is done very well and allows for much more in terms of spell usage and weapons loadouts.
Yeah I played Fable a lot and enjoyed it a lot, but by the end of it I was an unstoppable and ill defined mage-archer. Giving the player class choices is not "railroading" anymore than giving them a health bar is "railroading" them into only being able to take so many hits - it would be silly for every player to be simultaneously fully a mage and fully a warrior. You want to have you're cake and eat it, you want to have the full advantage of dual wielding while also having the full advantage of spellcasting, just split the difference and mount a sword in your right hand and a spell in your left. You're mistaking an entirely intentional design decision for "shallow controls", the reason you can't use ordinary magic while fully armed is because it makes no sense, not because they forgot to assign a seperate key to it! Because in fact in Oblivion you could use magic while fully armed, it was an entirely seperate system to the weapons system, a bit like how shouts work now.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Supertask said:
Control-wise and balance-wise it makes sense, reality wise, as far as it is related to reality at all (basically, not much at all as far as I can see), it also makes sense. The parrying dagger was used only in Renaissance fencing, you never see them in modern fencing, and it was used only for parrying (i.e. blocking) for which it was intentionally designed. Far from being easier to block with two swords; history has no examples I can think of of actual dual wielding in a real battle precisely because defending oneself would be so difficult, since one handed swords were not made for defence - they were made to be paired with a shield. So if somebody was going to duel wield, it would purely be for doing more damage or having the opportunity of doing more damage.
So parrying is impossible with two blades because it takes skill and years of practice? Sure, in the game it's a fine trade-off (I don't even use my companion anymore, simply because I don't need to and she got in the way), but I fail to see how the concept of parrying is impossible. Also "modern fencing" does not necessarily mean just foil or epee (or however you spell it). Any style of fencing (including the style with a parrying weapon in addition to a thrusting weapon) is still practiced. In fact, a friend of mine who fences is learning how to use a parry dagger. Also, you can parry with either weapon. The only reason parrying dagger are no longer widely used is because the foil and epee offered more speed and better stances.

Yeah I played Fable a lot and enjoyed it a lot, but by the end of it I was an unstoppable and ill defined mage-archer. Giving the player class choices is not "railroading" anymore than giving them a health bar is "railroading" them into only being able to take so many hits - it would be silly for every player to be simultaneously fully a mage and fully a warrior. You want to have you're cake and eat it, you want to have the full advantage of dual wielding while also having the full advantage of spellcasting, just split the difference and mount a sword in your right hand and a spell in your left. You're mistaking an entirely intentional design decision for "shallow controls", the reason you can't use ordinary magic while fully armed is because it makes no sense, not because they forgot to assign a seperate key to it! Because in fact in Oblivion you could use magic while fully armed, it was an entirely seperate system to the weapons system, a bit like how shouts work now.
That was a balancing issue. However, I'm not talking about player classes. I'm taking about being able to switch between weapons and spells in a more efficient way. for instance, when using a two-handed weapon, why can you not still have spells equipped? You put the spells in your hands, then hold the weapon. If you want to use the spells, you have to stop swinging the weapon. It isn't that hard. Granted, you wouldn't be able to do that with two one-handed weapons. Not easily, at least. Unless you had eye beams or could channels the spells through the weapons, like a wand. Probably wouldn't work in an Elder Scrolls game.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Mr.K. said:
TorqueConverter said:
What I want from an RPG: I want to create my own character and change how he/she looks and their abilities. I want to explore the world and dick around with NPCs going about their NPC business. I want to either do a mission for these NPCs or terrorise them by cutting their family members in half. If there are warring factions going at it in the game, then I want to see them fighting outside main missions. If there are NPC raiders, then they better be raiding NPC non-raiders somewhere.
Well you are describing sandbox games and not RPGs.
GTA, Saints Row, Mafia, Just Cause, Crackdown, Red Dead Redemption, ... are a far better match to what you supposedly want.

What makes you think that 'sandbox' and 'rpg' are mutually exclusive?

hell, pen&paper RPGs are the original sandbox games.

for example, Mount&Blade is an RPG and it's a sandbox.

Supertask

Oct 23, 2011
When I said all of the exact same type perk annoyed me, I didn't mean the one which gives you a boost if you use all light or all heavy, that makes sense, I mean the one which requires you to wear the exact same type, ie all Orcish armour or all leather armour.
Hammeroj said:
Now. I return to what I said before. It's not a matter of choice when the skill you use is positively gimped without those perks being maxed, even though you have a high level in said skill. Heavy armor is just barely better than light armor if you don't have all of those perks. There is absolutely no reason to use it if you don't plan on spending at least 5 perks on filler. Sure, the armor rating values are much higher, but that doesn't mean a twice higher armor rating equals to twice higher damage resistance. Far from it. Same goes for (as far as I remember) at least 2h-weapons, 1h-weapons, bows and light armor. If you don't have those basic perks in any of these skills, they're not going to be effective. Ever.

If you don't see that as a problem of lack of choice in designing a game, I can only infer that you haven't played a lot of RPGs.
This doesn't make any sense, you've just said that both kinds of weapons and both kinds of armour are "not goting to be effective. Ever." without basic perks, but not effective compared to what? As I recall, my sword worked fine even in the starting dungeon lol if you feel you're weapons and armour aren't working well enough for you, try turning the difficulty down, but the fact is you don't need "5 perks on filler" to have a reason to wear armour and wield a weapon. And if Heavy armour is only slightly stronger than light armour, perks won't help that because light armour and heavy armour have the same number of +x% perks, so, number of +x% perks being equal, heavy armour would still only be slightly stronger than light armour.
Hammeroj said:
I'm not forgetting anything. That's why I wrote "second slider", as in one for the enchantment strength, and one for adjusting the ratio between the chance and the effect. And then I even said that if that's too complicated, you could simply have that ratio fixed.
You've missed the point, the problem has nothing to do with making an interface to assign the enchantment, it's making sure it's relatively well balanced with the rest of the game.

Hammeroj said:
On top of that, being a man of examples as you asked me to be, you're not saying which things of anything I proposed are that OP.
I never said any of yours were OP, to be honest it would depend what skill level you needed to be to get them.

Hammeroj said:
Most of the enchantments are completely and utterly useless as is, I don't see the reason you'd be complaining if some fun ones got into the system. All you'll likely ever use as an enchantment will be fortify [insert most used skill] on every equipment piece that allows it (usually four out of six), and then 2 of the rest will either not be enchanted or have some shitty enchant like +10 stamina that will never, ever have a big enough impact to be felt in-game. What you're saying would be a problem with my suggestion is already the case, and, I'd say, in a bigger way, since the enchants barely varied.

The more I read, the more frustrated I become. On top of these simply being placeholder examples, the raise zombie enchantment was your own bloody suggestion. Jesus Christ man, are you doing this on purpose?
I only gave that example to show that it could be difficult to balance, so in a way yes I guess I did do it on purpose, but that was the point.

Hammeroj said:
If you read the post you originally quoted again, you'll see that I asked for a Fallout 3 - style perk system, meaning that perks wouldn't have to necessarily be constrained to a single skill tree, you could have interesting combinations created by multiple prerequisites[1] of a couple of different skills that would make sense in a magical world aswell as be rewarding for the player. Make your character more unique and all that, too.

Which of the perks I just listed isn't a general advantage for a corresponding (albeit hypothetical) specialisation? Battlemage is a perk that would prove consistently useful for a guy with a sword in one hand and a spell in the other, Berserking or Blood Craze would be consistently useful for a, well, berserker type of character, Icebreaker would be constantly useful for a frost mage, same goes for Shredder and dual wielders, where is the problem? I am really at a loss here, do you want perks to generally improve your play style or do you not? Do you want them to be so situational you'd barely feel they're there?
Yeah and Fallout 3 didn't have spells. So I go back to my point that what you're describing are more like powers or spells. What would be the point in having perks that weren't related to any particular skill, but just random abilities you got? This is what I meant when I said your perks are really spells and powers, or else they're specific to characters you've thought up. Think about Magebane, Soul Drain, Mana barrier, they're not perks for specifc magic schools, they're spells in themselves: Magebane and Mana barrier are alteration spells while Soul Drain is restoration. Blood Craze and Berserk also don't fit into a skill but are more like powers. The point is perks are not meant to be yet another group of powers, they are meant to be boosts to skills. That may not have been the case in Fallout 3 but then Fallout 3 didn't have Magic, shouts, enchants etc.
As for Guardian stones I only mentioned them because some of them give you special powers, which are unrelated to your skillset but specific to the stone.

Hammeroj said:
I am not a game designer. I do not give a fuck about how hard it is for the poor programmer to develop some more interesting skills/spells/whatnot. Fact is, when you play this, there's nothing imaginative or new in terms of gameplay mechanics in the least, and I hate that as a player. Coding the game is not your problem, and it never should be. Never mind the fact that this argument of yours is a complete non-sequitur.
You said: "Hell, if that seems too complicated, just have the stats be fixed in their proportion. I don't see why it would be, barely anything about the game is complicated at all. I don't see why balancing this stuff would be hard, either." So basically you said that all this would be easy, including balancing, because barely anything about the game is complicated at all, and I respond by pointing out that what seems simple to use can be complicated to make and get right, you say "I do not give a fuck about how hard it is for the poor programmer" and I'm the one with whos response is a non sequitur?
Hammeroj said:
Figured that out now. I assumed Bethesda wasn't as incompetent at utilizing the mouse as they apparently were.
lolwut? Being able to click miscellaneous errands individually makes Bethesda incompetant at utilizing the mouse because you didn't utilize it?

Perhaps some more interesting enchants could be added, but as well as the balancing issue, which I think you underestimate, I don't think they should become so elaborate that you're basically casting spells by hitting each other. I like that most enchantments on weapons and armour generally take a back seat, because if you're wearing armour and using weapons, you have choosen to be a warrior anyway. And perhaps some more interesting perks could be added, but you seem to misunderstand what perks are meant to be. Maybe it's a matter of taste, you may like masses of arbitrary abilities and melee combat based upon who has the best magical enchantments but I find Skyrim's approach on the whole more immersive.

Supertask

Oct 23, 2011
McNinja said:
So parrying is impossible with two blades because it takes skill and years of practice? Sure, in the game it's a fine trade-off (I don't even use my companion anymore, simply because I don't need to and she got in the way), but I fail to see how the concept of parrying is impossible. Also "modern fencing" does not necessarily mean just foil or epee (or however you spell it). Any style of fencing (including the style with a parrying weapon in addition to a thrusting weapon) is still practiced. In fact, a friend of mine who fences is learning how to use a parry dagger. Also, you can parry with either weapon. The only reason parrying dagger are no longer widely used is because the foil and epee offered more speed and better stances.
What? I never said it took years of practise. I said that a normal one handed sword is not designed for defense at all, it is designed to be used with a shield. I don't know why your friend is learning how to use a parrying dagger, I think maybe some people still try the ancient style, but they haven't been used in the main sport for centuries. When I say Modern Fencing I mean the Olympic Sport. The point is parrying daggers were used only for parrying (on the whole at least) they were designed to parry, and yet they still fell out of use because Fencers found it easier to balance without them. This is why referring to Renaissance fencing techniques is meaningless when considering Skyrim style dual wielding, because the parrying dagger was meant as a defensive weapon (and, just to reiterate the point, was still inferior to just having a single light one handed weapon e.g. the epee). By contrast the weapons you dual wield in Skyrim are meant to be offensive only weapons - they are meant to be coupled with a shield (on historical battlefields they would be, I mean). So I think it makes sense you can't block.

McNinja said:
That was a balancing issue. However, I'm not talking about player classes. I'm taking about being able to switch between weapons and spells in a more efficient way. for instance, when using a two-handed weapon, why can you not still have spells equipped? You put the spells in your hands, then hold the weapon. If you want to use the spells, you have to stop swinging the weapon. It isn't that hard. Granted, you wouldn't be able to do that with two one-handed weapons. Not easily, at least. Unless you had eye beams or could channels the spells through the weapons, like a wand. Probably wouldn't work in an Elder Scrolls game.
It is a balancing issue and it is also about player classes. You hold a two-handed weapon in both hands at all times, so one is never free for casting. As I said before, you are describing the system in Oblivion, which didn't let you use a spell while actually swinging a weapon, but otherwise allowed you access to full spellcasting even with a sword and shield equipped. Anyway, switching between weapons and spells is actually easy enough with the favourites menu but the point is you're not meant to be able to use both fully at the same time, like I said that doesn't make sense. If you want to use both at the same time, put a one handed sword in one hand and a spell in the other, then use wards to defend when you get in close. As for using eye-beams for spells when your hands are full, essentially that's what the shouts are.