Your personal mantra.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
From Wikipedia:

A mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation" (cf. spiritual transformation). Its use and type varies according to the school and philosophy associated with the mantra.

However, for anyone who lives in the REAL world: A mantra is simply something you say to yourself over and over again--like "Murder is illegal, murder is illegal, murder is illegal."

"Murder is illegal" is my favorite mantra. It's humorous and it also helps me keep my (thoroughly non-violent) temper from time to time.

I also have a few 'situational' ones.

So do you have a 'mantra' of your own?

If not then come up with some and share them.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I often catch myself sighing then murmuring "I want to go home."
Which would be fine if sometimes I wasn't already at home...

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
"You're fine" is one. Since I feel sickly a lot these days, whenever I go on public transport I have a constant battle with myself so I stay on until my stop. (I used to bail a few stops early and have to wait for the next one, but I've broken that habit *touch wood*)

Another less used one is "There's food at home!" 'cause I always have an urge to buy food when I see it. o_o Sometimes not even good food.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
"Fail better."

The full quote is "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." -Samuel Beckett.

I like that it's contradictory, like "today is a good day to die" but with presumably lower stakes. It combines ambition with low expectations... which might say a bit too much about me as a person.

keosegg

Jul 9, 2011
Check if you're wearing pants.

I should tell you about the time I was caught in a child care with no pants on...

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
"GET OWNED NOOB!" Oh and "LAG! LAG! LAG!"

- Me over skype whilst playing League of Legends.

:3

George Barrow

Sep 5, 2011
'If someone tries to fuck you, you fuck them twice as hard'
I am a very spiteful person, and while I was reading Game of Thrones it was 'Fire and Blood'

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
"Imagine yourself at your absolute best. You do not need to look at others. The one you have to strive for, to be like, and to overcome is none other than your own image."

It sounded better in my head...

Edit: ahh, that sounds better.

"Look not at others, but instead imagine yourself at your absolute best. The one to strive for, to be like, and to overcome is none other than your own image."

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
"fuck"

no seriously...I tend to say it to myself if I remember somthing awkward I did, somthing I;d rather not remember or some situation I'd wish I could do differently

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Vault101 said:
"fuck"

no seriously...I tend to say it to myself if I remember somthing awkward I did, somthing I;d rather not remember or some situation I'd wish I could do differently
Yeah this is pretty much mine.
Stop stealing all my answers.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
"Honour in all thing"
I believe it and I stick to it.
Another one I often think to myself is,
"Might as well fail spectacularly" for when I'm failing.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
"Could be worse. Could be better" In most situations where things aren't going my way but I guess "Nothing is Certain" is more appropriate for my life as a whole. There isn't a single thing in this world that is certain except nothingness

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
"No pussies need apply."

Every time I don't want to do something hard. As an example, I'll spend the last twenty or so minutes before I go to bed giving myself reasons not to do my ab workout, but those four words get me to do it every time.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
"I don't need her, want her or miss her"

Or

"Just picture them dead" if I need to smile.

MoreThanANoob

Oct 9, 2012
"I'm mature because I admit I'm not."

I'm not going to compromise anything ridiculous or otherwise immature that I do just because someone says so. I accept myself for the occasional lunatic I am, which says a lot more than acting stuck up just because it's the social norm.

juvemisfit

Neighborhood Psycho
Feb 21, 2008
"Be nice until it's time to not be nice."

With as mediocre as that movie was, that scene still resonates with me: Be nice, and someone else in the situation will let you know when it is no longer necessary to be nice. It has worked with peers, adults, and especially well in the world of tech support.