Your personal mantra.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
I have one... but it's a little depressing and more than a bit embarrassing to admit. However, maybe by doing so, it will give added strength whenever I say it. Alright...

I've been overweight for nearly my whole life. I'm genetically predisposed to both diabetes and heart disease though thankfully I've managed to never had any sign of having either. I've always tried to keep a healthy lifestyle despite my weight, but it's always something I've had to live with. Even with the weight, I've never had any real problems making friends, though I've also never been in a lasting relationship that I was entirely happy with. I'm almost always considered the life of the party, and I have so many people who love and support me. Mainly it's because I boast a very positive attitude that easily rubs off on everyone around me, or so I've been told.

Anyway, in recent years, I've been taking serious measures of diet and exercise to bring down my weight to a more reasonable standard, and over the course of it, it's been very successful, losing over 50 pounds of fat in the last year alone. I've dropped a couple clothing sizes, and overall I feel more energized than I have before.

Even with all this success, the most detrimental part of the experience is that, while I feel different, I still look the same as I ever have. Superficially, I know, but it isn't great for morale when there's no visible progress despite what the numbers tell you. Truthfully, it's been miserable for my social life as well. I've turned down hanging out with my friends so many times simply because I was too exhausted from my workout previously in the day. And I can't tell you how many I've pulled a muscle in the worst way, or all the back pain I get now if I overwork myself. Even worse, those weeks where there won't even be any statistical progress even after spending many hours overtime at the gym and working very hard to improve my routine overall.

During those bogged-down times when I have to push myself beyond my physical limits despite the seemingly hopelessness of it all, I keep repeating this to myself:

"It is better to be in pain than to be alone..."

Depressing, I know, but it keeps me going. Truth is we live in a shallow society. I've been told multiple times, and I quote, "You really are the perfect guy a girl could ever want," or "Any girl would be lucky to have you as a boyfriend," in rejection. I've even been told I have a very handsome face, if only I didn't have the extra weight. Admittedly, over the summer, I was in a "friends-with-benefits" relationship with one of my sexier friends, but she honestly only did so because she felt she owed me for all the times I've helped her and been there for her, so I broke it off not wanting sex out of obligation.

To be honest, that kind of rejection has spurred me on even more to slim down as much as possible. Whenever I hit another of the many, many roadblocks I constantly face, I just keep repeating my mantra to help me power through, even when it seems hopeless. There's no other option. I can't spend my the rest of my young twenties sitting around hoping someone will come along that "sees me for what's on the inside" or some other Disney bullshit. I've got to do something. If it's the way it is, then that's just how I'll have to deal with it or spend my days alone.

I've made my choice. And that's why I have my mantra.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
"Prepare for the worst, hope for the best."

Since I prepare for the least optimal situation, I end up getting caught off guard in a negative way a lot less than most people.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
TopazFusion said:
You say "murder is illegal" to yourself often? [small]Now I'm worried...[/small]

I don't have one, but something simple like "I don't care what other people think" is probably a good one.

I personally hate this one. It basically means you don't give a fuck about anyone else. You can't learn unless you listen to other people's thoughts and ideas even if they're critical of you. Of course, sometimes its better to not give any fucks so what do I know. Which leads me to my mantra:

"The only thing I know for sure, is I don't know anything at all"

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Shut up and crawl back to whence you came.
------------------------------------------------------
Honestly, when have the voices ever given good advice.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
"I don't want to"

As soon that phrase comes out of my mouth, people be warned, I am not going to do it, and I don't give a damn about the consequences. Therefore, no one can force me to do anything, not even my own parents cause I simply don't care. Basically whenever someone says, "Sometimes, you need to do stuff in life you don't want to do", I basically reply with, "Screw that noise, if I don't want to do it, then I don't care about it, and If I don't care about it, I don't care about the consequences from not doing it".

So if I actually do it, then that means I care about it, or the consequences of not doing it. Which is actually a mentality that angers quite alot of people but hey...it's me. I am quite known for not doing things I should be doing, which is why I could never successfully make it in college, I simply never cared for it.

Therarchos

Mar 20, 2011
A prayer as much as a mantra.

Dear God
Grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference
Living one day at a time
Enjoying one moment at a time
And accepting hardships as the pathway to peace

Had it tattooed a month before I was deployed. It helped calm my nerves to recite it when ever things got fucked up.

Jan 27, 2011
If we're defining mantras as "A personal statement/code that represents your worldview", then mine would be "Do what you can, enjoy every moment you can."

However if we define it as:
Copper Zen said:
However, for anyone who lives in the REAL world: A mantra is simply something you say to yourself over and over again
Then it's:

"Ok, do I have everything?" (I ask myself this a hundred times a day >_< )
or
"No. I'm gonna at least TRY" (self explanatory)

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life."

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
QUESTION EVERYTHING!

I'm naturally really curious, and I want to know the reasons behind some everything.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Zack Alklazaris said:
I often catch myself sighing then murmuring "I want to go home."
Which would be fine if sometimes I wasn't already at home...
Yeah, i do that too sometimes, probably because we view home as this mystical place where all is well and nothing bad happens, and you are just happy.

Also, is that a wooden companion cube with a top hat and pipe?

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
"Vive per minus malum" as in "Live by the lesser evil".
It rolls off the tongue and sounds pretentious and nice!

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
For the last year and a half, mine has been "Don't fuck up."

Depending on how pretentious I feel, it's been: "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up. Why do we fail? So we can learn the better path. Why do we try? Because seeking the best path is its own reward."

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Zack Alklazaris said:
I often catch myself sighing then murmuring "I want to go home."
Which would be fine if sometimes I wasn't already at home...
I find myself saying that sometimes. Even at home. I think it often marks a point where I've began to feel really shit about something, if I find myself reverting to such a seemingly childish phrase. It often reminds me of a line in "saving private ryan"-"For every man I kill, I feel further away from home"-it reminds me that home isn't truly a place, more a state of mind. Somewhere you feel happy, comfortable and safe. I guess at points, anywhere could stop being "home", even if you have no idea where "home" would actually be.

My mantra is

"I may growl at you when I'm angry, but at least I don't smile."

I do literally have a tendency to growl at people sometimes. People would regard that as odd to say the least. Personally, I think it odd that most people when they're angry tend to just smile, until a certain point at which they unleash their anger leaving the person who made them angry confused as to what exactly they did and why they weren't warned.

Also, "Stranger things have happened". Because likeliness is, they have.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
"hope for the best, prepare for the worst"

Something I learned from my professors.

dangit ninja'd by jackal.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
"Dont die."
When doing something stupidly unsafe it goes like : "dontdiedontdiedontdiedontdiedontdiedontdie -made it!"

Came about the first time i had to cross a street in a city (grew up in rural areas)

greyscarf

Sep 24, 2012
Both of mine are stolen from someone else.

David Foster Wallace's refrain, "This is water" from his Kenyon College commencement address. (Which, to me, means to be aware of the world around you & not be trapped inside your own head.)

Matthew Good's lyric, "Can't fear fear, fear's the mind-killer" from one of his best songs 'Near Fantastica." (According to Wikipedia, this is a reference to Dune. True?)

I recite these pretty frequently since I also deal with anxiety & both of these artists have had their own battles with depression.

Rathcoole

Jan 1, 2011
Whenever somebody asks me a qustion about life or I feel bad about something I did I always say. "It is what it is" So I guess that is my mantra. You can not change the past so why worry. It is what it is.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
"liberandum animus"

my personal motto, meaning "active liberation" may seem cliche, but i like to think i can stand up to the man when needs be.