your personal philosophy?

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
"Don't be a dick". That goes for myself and for others, and it's not that hard to follow.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
"We are all going to die and our deaths will not shake the cosmic balance. It will however, shake the balance in our friends and family"

My basic take on Nihilism

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I got two-

"Don't get jealous since jealousy is you just wanting to become exactly like him/her. However by being him/ her you are not you. Be proud of who you are, not becoming something that isn't you."

"Originality isn't dead, it's just harder to make."

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Taking too much of an "intellectual" view on life is quite possibly the stupidest thing you could ever hope to do. (I generally use this in situations involving Nihilism and Misanthropy, neither of which I fully agree with, despite understanding the reasoning behind.)

Aside from that, I have several sub-philosophies. A simple set of guidelines, if you will.

1) Once you know your limits, alcohol is your best friend if an inexplicable change in factors is required.

2) If you overcome that surge of pain now, not only does it go away faster overall (not applying to lingering physical damage) but you get the satisfaction of having punched the person responsible out.

3) Everything is an Emily Dickinson quote if I say it is.

Among others, but three is always a good target in these threads.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I've got 3. These are the ideals I live by.

1.Believe or do whatever you feel like. Like whatever band or religion or ideology you feel is best. As long as you don't try to make me believe it or force me to be involved I won't stop you. I'll even support your right to believe it, just don't force it on me.

2."A truly tolerant society is one where someone can make a joke about someone else and everybody laughs". Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw in his "50 cent Blood on the Sand" video.
I've taken this to heart because it means that it isn't racism unless there is genuine hate behind it. People are so scared of being racist they won't even describe people by their race. People can joke but just don't hate.

3.My last one is from a Pokemon movie.
"It doesn't matter of the circumstances of your birth, but what you do with the gift of life that defines who you are".
Judging someone on their race or appearance is idiotic because it is entirely beyond their control.
Judge someone on their personality and hate or like them for those reasons instead.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
"For Science!"

http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/sciencebangtees.jpg

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Live and let live , die and let die .
The end justifies the means
When life gives you lemons make apple juice

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
"I sit on my ass all goddamn day,
A misanthropic anthropoid with nothing to do
Say what you must, do all you can,
Break all the fucking rules and
Go to Hell with Superman and
Die like a champion, yeah hey!"

Shadow Druid

Mar 18, 2011
"It is results that matter, the manner in which I gain these result is of little or no consequence"

"Good and evil are nothing but words applied by the winner of any scenario"

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
Otherwise known as "fuck you, I'll do whatever I want and you'd better pick up the fucking pieces after me".
I think there's quite a few more philosophies here than the one you quoted for which that phrase would apply...

As for me, it all boils down to one word: Respect.

You don't have to like others, their ideas, or their actions. You can despise them, in fact. But you should respect them enough to be able to live with them. It's really easier than it sounds.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
A Distant Star said:
Something tells me you people dont actually understand what a life philosophy is. This is going to sound pretentious (probably because it is) but if you can sum your philosophy up in a custsey poo catch phrase you may want to go back to the drawing board and think on it a little more.

My personal philosophy really revolves around some of the ideas put forth by the Greek philosopher Epicurus, though watered down quite a bit. The utmost goal in life is to seek pleasure, but excess of pleasure can be unbalancing and lead to displeasure, so it is important to live ones life pleasurably, but with an eye towards moderation.

I am also straight edge, for several reasons. As mentioned above, alcohol and drugs tend to lead to excess, which brings with it ultimate displeasure. But I also have a strong philosophy of self control, and anything that removes my wits is ultimately a bad thing.

These are but a fraction of the philosophies I live by. And I think if you really think about it, you will find you have far more meaningful ideas then "do what you wanna do, be who you wanna be." - Which is really, in essence, a completely meaningless statement.
agreed. A personal philosophy summed up into one statement isn't much of a personal philosophy at all.

It's kind of why I hate it when people sum up their moral philosophy with "don't be a dick", because that really doesn't tell me anything.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
"Speak your mind and fuck the consequences"

"If you feel offended about ANYTHING that anyone else say, then it's ENTIRELY your problem"