Your Steam Graveyard

As Seen On 360

Jan 22, 2012
SacremPyrobolum said:
Do you have games you bought on Steam that never worked or do not work anymore for unexplained reason?

I have the Sims 3 with the infamous initialization error at start-up despite being able to play it on the same computer a month ago.

Rage which Steam just refuses the

Oblivion, which is partially my fault due to the many mods I threw on it, yet even after deleting the oblivion directory and re installing fresh it doesn't want to work.
Initially I thought this was about games we have on Steam that we don't bother playing anymore, or never bothered playing.

OT: The only games I really remember that refused to work were Deus Ex: Invisible War, and some older titles. More recently it's been Gothic, though I found out that it wasn't an issue with Windows 7, as would be expected, but Gothic likes to crash when things such as the in-game Steam overlay try working along side it. Easily fixed by disabled the interface though.

I eventually resolved the Deus Ex problem as well, I think it was a startup parameter that needed to be entered in, which was apparently even an issue on the retail discs. Sadly I never got to see how bad the game was, as people claim, because by the time I fixed it I ironically lost interest in playing.

I don't have any terminal games on Steam (as of yet, knock on wood), so I don't have a "Steam Graveyard" as you define it. I'm sure there will be many more headaches to come though, as I only have 12 games installed out of my library of 94.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
I had a persistent problems with Half-Life: Opposing Force. It would always freeze at the moment when you open the lab door and see Freeman enter the vortex. I looked online, and found forums full of people with the same problem, despairing that Valve would ever address it. Some of the messages were about a year old.

Eventually, disabling Steam's chat protocol got it to work again.

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
No one likely cares, but I'm surprised there's issues like this around without a fix. I have over 200 games purchased via steam and I have no problems with any of them that haven't been fixed within a day.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I have a category literally named "Meh" and that's pretty much my "Steam Graveyard" of craptastic titles that I made the huge mistake of buying, or some won't simply work and I'm not interested in them.

Brink is in that list, along with Hydrophobia (stupid Steam sales...), that game has insane water physics, but at the cost of an insanely powerful CPU, it runs like crap in my PC. Also, many Multiplayer only/focused indie games that nobody plays anymore, like inMomentum (nice concept, but there's literally not a single server), Plain Sight (great concept, but nobody plays it any longer, also it makes me dizzy sometimes), Red Orchestra (amazing WWII FPS, but sadly, nobody plays it any longer), among others.

That list is my Steam hall of shame, lessons that I've learned the hard way and sometimes I still make a couple of mistakes... like FarCry... stupid game...

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Also the Witcher. I seem to be one of the lucky ones to suffer the unsolvable MSVCR80.dll problem, so unless I reformat this machine I doubt I'll ever be able to play it.
Is there an exact opposite of the internet high-five? Like a depressed pat on the shoulder? Well, that. I really want to play The Witcher games, because they look like exactly the kind of thing I'd enjoy, but the first never worked right, so I'm not even bothering with the second.

Aside from that, Mount and Blade: Warband (it tells me I need to have Steam running when I launch it from Steam) and King Arthur: The RolePlaying War Game, which is similar to the Witcher in that I would absolutely fucking love the game, if it weren't for the constant crashes that seem to have been a regular problem since 2009, if the forum is anything to go by.

Shit like this is why I no longer buy games on Steam unless I've checked the forum to make sure it's not a buggy piece of crap. Oddly enough, the games where my problems have been solved, it's never actually been assistance from the developers that got the game running, but other, more computer-savvy, users.

Feb 26, 2011
Metro 2033 (NOBODY TOLD ME THAT GAME MAKES CRYSIS LOOK LIKE A KINDLY OLD GRANNY IN TERMS OF GRAPHICS!)

Also, Darksiders, and, of course...Magicka. -_-

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
A Steam update actually rendered Skyrim unplayable for me because Steam actually deleted "Skyrim.exe" from my program files. Luckily, my dad saved an extra copy of the .exe in order to bypass steam. I had to get the file from him and put it in my program files in order to fix it.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
SwimmingRock said:
DeadlyYellow said:
Also the Witcher. I seem to be one of the lucky ones to suffer the unsolvable MSVCR80.dll problem, so unless I reformat this machine I doubt I'll ever be able to play it.
Is there an exact opposite of the internet high-five? Like a depressed pat on the shoulder? Well, that. I really want to play The Witcher games, because they look like exactly the kind of thing I'd enjoy, but the first never worked right, so I'm not even bothering with the second.
There are non-steam versions of said games, I don't have either of them on steam, but I do have a physical copy of both. I don't know if steam is causing your problems, but it's worth a shot, since those games are pretty awesome.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Vkmies said:
There are non-steam versions of said games, I don't have either of them on steam, but I do have a physical copy of both. I don't know if steam is causing your problems, but it's worth a shot, since those games are pretty awesome.
It's not Steam. I've tried other versions of the game to be sure. As far as I can tell it's an error with the msvcr80.dll, but after attempting all the usual fixes and many others I've declared it unsolvable save a system purge.

SwimmingRock said:
Aside from that, Mount and Blade: Warband (it tells me I need to have Steam running when I launch it from Steam)
TaleWorlds has installers for download on their site. Your Steam code should work with it. Mine did when I wanted the nonSteam version of M&B.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
None. :D
Absolutely everyone of my 176 games (that I've tried) has worked perfectly for me from Steam.

Then again, if something doesn't work, I fix it.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
So far none, but I've had to completely delete and reinstall Team Fortress 2 a few times due to modding gone wrong.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Geometry Wars, surprisingly. It just says "unavailable" and opens a tab in Chrome to the store page. At least it was a gift copy. Funnily enough, none of my other gifts broke either, except a Sonic CD I sent out (mine works fine, though.)

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Ninja Blade was a sorry ass excuse for a port. It never exactly worked for me when I was trying to play with a mouse and keyboard (I actually had to manually power off my computer the controls were so unresponsive). Got a gamepad some time back and the game works like a charm. Still sucks; and I thought the Asura's Wrath demo (or Bayonetta) was a QTE-ridden annoyance.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines doesn't even work at all. Then I checked out the fixes and stuff, and I thought "fuck this. Way too much work to make it compatible for Windows 7".

Kinda wish VtM:B was available on GoG; that way they'd end up doing the compatibility work for me, and I just wanna play the game.

Dogfighter sucked too much, so I uninstalled it and forgot about it.

Assassin's Creed 1 sucked too much and was a shitty port, so that got thrown away quickly.

piplink

Mar 11, 2011
GTA4 with it's GFWL bull****
RTCW just wont work at all
quake 3 and team arena wont work, just crashes and up's my monitors gamma
all the source multiplayer games keeps crashing when i try to connect to a server

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
SacremPyrobolum said:
Oblivion, which is partially my fault due to the many mods I threw on it, yet even after deleting the oblivion directory and re installing fresh it doesn't want to work.
did you switch to multiple monitors? FO3/TES IV hate this if so you need to disconnect a monitor,boot the game and set it to run in windowed mode.
OT
nope everything works fine.